Threaded SBR with cutts compensator thread protector

Just about got this project all buttoned up. Wasn't going for any sort of historical accuracy with it. Just building to suit myself.

It started as a 16" Kahr gun with a steel receiver and detachable stock last Autumn. Inside its got the EZ springs from Dan and runs like a champ. Figured it was ok to SBR marry it and chop it. Barrel was cut back to 10.5, crowned, and threaded. Then an even area machined behind that for the sight. The original compensator/sight combo was turned down and pushed back and pinned in place. At some point, somebody here on the forum was selling an unused compensator. I snagged that to use as a thread protector. It was machined down and threaded with the threads machine timed to the barrel. So when you crank it onto the barrel, the slots line up properly oriented facing upwards. At the back of the receiver, I swapped the lyman sight for a Burris Fastfire III red dot.

I'm still not decided between a violin case or the FBI case. Kinda leaning towards picking up a violin case from a pawn shop and fitting everything inside and adding some classy interior.

Screen-Shot-2019-06-24-at-8-03-34-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-24-at-7-46-55-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-24-at-7-45-55-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2019-06-24-at-7-46-15-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2019-06-24-at-7-46-28-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-06-24-at-7-45-29-PM.png

Edited by giantpune

FWIW i saw a violin case Sandman57 has that was a Gordon creation, I believe, but there are very few of these anyway. In looking at it, with a 21 inside, it was not really sufficient to carry the weight, IMHO, as the case seems to not have the reinforcement in that one, and the mags and drum were not loaded. He only uses on display and really doesn't carry one in it as a carry case. For display it is super neat. If you were to add some strength to the violin case, it would be cool enough and maybe workable to carry it. I have a Kahr also coming in the next day or two I think I want to try to duplicate a 1923 version. I like the way you did the can on this also.

Having a .45 can I've thought about doing the exact same thing with a Cutts as a thread protector. In the end, I went with historical accuracy. I would still like to get a violin case though. This site (http://shop.thugcase.com/MODEL-THOMPSON-SMG-MODELSMG.htm) has made custom cases for Thompsons (with or without space for a can).

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice, this may interest you...

Here's what I did with a vintage 1890's wooden violin case.

I first "reinforced" the wood with wood glue, handle and hardware to carry the weight (paramount to handling the weight) and then French lined the case with rich red velvet.

There is a velvet liner piece thats has been surged around the edges that lays across the top, separating the two halves when closed. (the bottom of the oval you see hanging on the back of the chair is this liner in pics 1 & 2)

The case will handle and carry the weight of a total of 50 rounds + all accessories (30 in the stored mag and 20 in the hidden bullet box) without any problems.

I tote it around like this whenever I take it to the range, sling it around by the handle and no issues at all.

I'll see if I got some photos of how I reinforced it and post them or take some and get them up.

The last picture is the outside of the case (which I left like this but simply waxed it) before I started my "reinforcing" which is THE most important part.

I now have a vintage leather steel reinforced handle, but haven't replaced the plastic one yet. Last thing to do, but it was a bitch trying to find the right vintage handle in leather!

Here are the results.

post-258557-0-00913500-1562782683_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-11343900-1562782752_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-61136600-1562783018_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-80774100-1562783098_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-44857400-1562784226_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-63466500-1562784335_thumb.jpg

Edited by tray burge

G'pune, check out guitar cases, they are more heavily constructed than violin cases.

Yeah, not really and they look really cheesy IMO.

Yeah, I'm not feeling the guitar case. I've got a pretty big guitar collection I've been adding to for 20+ years. Lots of different size and shaped cases there. All of them are way too huge for a SBR with a detachable stock. Maybe if it was a shoulder fired rocket launcher, I'd go with the guitar case. :D

I do like that Tray got his Thompson in the little violin case without having to take off the front vertical grip. Not too keen on having to take the gun in half, though. If you go to the range and shoot up 500 rounds suppressed, the inside of the gun will be very dirty. Then take the gun in half and put the halves in your case, its gonna wreck your fancy interior.

Currently leaning towards one of the more rectangle shaped cases that a professional violinist uses instead of the smaller form fitting ones.

diplomat_blue_1_large.jpg?v=1559569161

Or even the briefcase sized Indiana case, due to its practicality. Not having to remove the front grip or taking the gun in half.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/indianacaseinside.jpg

Or

9542222.jpg

Edited by giantpune

G'pune, check out guitar cases, they are more heavily constructed than violin cases.

Yeah, not really and they look really cheesy IMO.

Yeah, I'm not feeling the guitar case. I've got a pretty big guitar collection I've been adding to for 20+ years. Lots of different size and shaped cases there. All of them are way too huge for a SBR with a detachable stock. Maybe if it was a shoulder fired rocket launcher, I'd go with the guitar case. :D

I do like that Tray got his Thompson in the little violin case without having to take off the front vertical grip. Not too keen on having to take the gun in half, though. If you go to the range and shoot up 500 rounds suppressed, the inside of the gun will be very dirty. Then take the gun in half and put the halves in your case, its gonna wreck your fancy interior.

Currently leaning towards one of the more rectangle shaped cases that a professional violinist uses instead of the smaller form fitting ones.

diplomat_blue_1_large.jpg?v=1559569161

Or even the briefcase sized Indiana case, due to its practicality. Not having to remove the front grip or taking the gun in half.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/dalbert/MGBoards/indianacaseinside.jpg

Or

9542222.jpg

Never been an issue, the two halves break apart very easy and just snap back together. As far as the dirty part on mine, the only part that gets dirty is the end of the muzzle and I just wipe if off before I put it back in, the two halves get no fouling at all.

However, if mine had a removable stock like yours I'd of left it together and designed it around the stock coming off too, you got that luxury.

Gordon Haragstad used a Viola case for his, they're a little larger than a Violin case, and I considered it, but I wanted to keep it more authentic to the times and use something vintage.

Edited by tray burge

Tray, I really like your tommygun case builds, on your vintage case where the butt remains on the trigger hsg, what are the outside dimensions? Certainly completes the Thompson ensemble. Nice work.

Tray, I really like your tommygun case builds, on your vintage case where the butt remains on the trigger hsg, what are the outside dimensions? Certainly completes the Thompson ensemble. Nice work.

Thanks' Baltimoreed, I don't know because I just used an antique violin case I found in a antique shop, but you see them all the time. They're the wooden ones with the bowed top, typically black and has a flat bottom. If you want, I could measure over the weekend and get back to you Monday. This will give you a better idea of the case I bought. They usually run around $30-50 for the case.

I included a shot before I had completed and finalized the finished design, as you can see I got rid of the brass clip because it wasn't necessary and I was also afraid of verdigris growing.

You also see I didn't have my belt straps covered yet either, which was always part of the plan as you know what leather will do to a gun over time if left touching it.

The next three pictures show a variation I had played with before my final decision, but this would be a good option if you needed to put a drum or two in the top.

The oval topped box at the top of the case is for a limited parts kit and mainly to carry a copy of my tax stamp in. The last picture just shows what I use the box for.

The second to bottom is just a close up of the finished product. Oh yeah, the screwdriver if from the 30's too.

Re-enforcement is paramount!

Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be than happy to help, I'd love to see someone else's take on this.

post-258557-0-73898300-1562934708_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-84536000-1562935160_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-41933600-1562935179_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-75905500-1562935192_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-56324200-1562935212_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-53992700-1562935231_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-93026200-1562936234_thumb.jpg

Edited by tray burge

Man, those professional violin cases are gorgeous! Once I move out of this communist state, I will get my M1 SBR'd. Then the stuff you guys have accomplished will be used in my planning.

Edited by DeaconKC

This thread has inspired me to finally replace my plastic handle with the vintage leather one I acquired a while back, here it is with shots of the reinforcing I did for the handle alone. The last shot shows my velvet liner to separate the two halves, now I just need to get it monogrammed with the Thompson bullet logo like Gordan Herrigstad had on his in gold.

post-258557-0-09901400-1563281369_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-35872000-1563281391_thumb.jpg

post-258557-0-24179500-1563281403_thumb.jpg

Edited by tray burge