TD's Really Great Book

Yesterday I received Tom's really great book,---Great Britain--The Tommy Gun Story.

Tom asked me to review the book and let him know if I found anything questionable.

Well , I got all the way to paragraph #3 in the acknowledgements before I found a questionable and potentially inaccurate statement.

Here is the statement.

" I would also like to thank Michael Sig for teaching me the model 28 Navy was a solution to a non-existent problem."

I have no clue what Mike meant by this statement but if he was suggesting that the 28 should have never been made because the 21 was better , then its time for a reality check.

The problem was, AO wanted to sell Thompson's. The Navy didn't want to buy guns that cycled at 900 RPM. The Navy wanted guns that cycled at 600 RPM. The solution was to make guns that the Navy would buy.

If the 21 was truly superior the Brits could have saved $50.00 by ordering them from AO.

So far that's the only questionable thing I've found in Tom's book.

Its a really great book with much information and I encourage anyone interested in Thompson's to buy a copy, even if you only own a West Hurley.

I will now proceed to page #1 with my proofreading.

Jim C

Jim C.,

I am afraid I am going to have to agree with SIG about the 21's over the 28's. After one time shooting my Westie with the 21 components (loaned to me by SIG), I knew I would never go back. That said, both are fun to own and fun to shoot.

I appreciate all the comments on my book. Attached is a link someone sent me about a video review of my book:

Can you believe all the Thompson books coming out this year. Mine was first, then Bill's, soon Gordon's will be released and Frank and Bill Helmer will have updated versions of their now classic books out probably by the end of the year. 2015 is going to be a good Thompson year. Be sure and attend one or both of the TATA and TCA Show & Shoots.

Tom,

Glad you were able to get the book review posted. It was not only a nice review , but hopefully result in some panic buying.

From the stand point of making the most noise in the shortest time frame and impressing the peanut gallery, you and Mike are correct.

As far as producing the most casualty's with the least ammo expenditure the 28 is the way to go.

My failing memory will not allow me to remember what the gun was intended to do.

Once again, congratulations on your fine book.

Can you advise where I might buy Bills book at a discount??

Jim C

If the goal is to win a certain type of competition, where the goal is to knock down an army of poppers (KCR), the very slow rate of fire of specially modified guns seem to win, as individual shots can be fired, one per popper. One fewer mag change can win the match.

If the goal is to shoot a burst (3 holes minimum) into each target, as done at some other matches, the advantage of speed in the 21 ROF becomes apparent.

Obviously, these are all just games. I have yet to see a popper shoot back.