Dancing With The Nfa

I just got off the phone with the NFA in Washington, DC. My transfer paperwork for the Form 4 went in on Dec. 23rd. I usually try to call them sometime close to the 90 day deadline, just to make sure everything is progressing

Some notes: The lady who answers the phone can only tell you that your Form 4 is "pending." Nothing else.

Ask to speak with whoever is handling your serial number. I got ahold of "Robin" and she told me the same.

I VERY politely played dumb and asked her just exactly what that means.

"The FBI has up to 90 days to check out the transfer."

She then said she didn't have any paperwork and was waiting on them.

I don't think these people have much idea as to what, why , or when of NFA transfers, or care. They just shuffle paper.

I try to be very polite, no matter how long I sit on hold, or how many times I have to call. I don't know if that does any

good, but it sure can't hurt. I don't want them to think we all look like the photo from Knob Creek.

QUOTE (PhilOhio @ Mar 5 2004, 10:00 PM)
I'm talking about questionable people and attitudes.  I am not usually at a loss for words, but I don't know quite how to articulate it.

Phil...

I hear you loud and clear. I don't expect everyone running around at the shows and gatherings to look like they just dropped in from a fox hunt in Devonshire, but I don't think I'd be happy having my daughter date some these "wackos".

Along the same lines, do yall remember the segment with Terry Nichols' brother in Bowling for Columbine? Makes you appreciate the thin line the Feds walk between infringing upon someone's rights and protecting the public safety.

What a refreshingly balanced, intelligent discussion of the real motivations in most bureaucracies -- seldom anything nefarious, just people trying to get by and not stick their necks out -- and the conflicting demands we place on government.

NFA is a very small part of what we do. The branch is staffed by a dozen or so folks who push paper all day. What usually takes the longest is the fingerprint exam. Since they are not criminal prints, the FBI gives them a lower priority for exam. Other things such as incomplete forms or missing forms can also delay the transfer. Patience is the key, but by all means, call them after the 90 days is up. That's what I have to do. Kill them with kindness.

Until our move to the Justice Dept., our director was promoted from within the ranks. As of today, we are still waiting for someone to be named to be our new director. That position will be the only political appointee in the bureau. All others come from within.

I PICKED UP MY THOMPSON SATURDAY. THE CHECK WAS CASHED ON AUG 24, 2003..PAPERWORK WENT PENDING SEPT 24,2003.

I RECEIVED NOTICE I HAD INCORRECTLY FILLED OUT THE CITIZENSHIP CERTIFICATION FORM. THEY SENT ME A NEW ONE WITH THE OLD ONE AND INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO FILL IT OUT AND WHO TO RETURN IT TO. WITHIN THREE WEEKS OF RECEIPT OF THE NEW FORM I GOT A CALL FROM THE GUY I PURCHASED IT FROM. IT TOOK http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif 28 WEEKS http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif TO THE DAY FROM WHEN THE CHECK WASH CASHED TO GET APPROVED PAPERWORK.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif Can ya'll say "infringed" pards. Stuff like what went on here is exsactly what the founding fathers didn't want to happen when they put the 2nd. Amend. into place. The NFA of '34 is but the first of a long line of infringments on our 2nd. Amend. Rights. I guess as long as we, the American people, put up with stuff like this we'll have to live with it.

Thank, you, Tman, for your description of BATF; it was always my understanding that Executive Branch agencies were not riddled with midlevel and lowlevel political appointees. I think there is a tendency to sometimes read sinister motives into relatively mundane things -- 'cause sometimes we like to believe that we're the only thing holding back the forces of darkness. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif