Hi I bought a 1927-A1 recently used. Its from West Hurley made in 1989. The previous owner purchased 6 extra mags however they don't lock in place. The one that works has an oval hole for the locking pin while the 6 that won't work have a round hole. Anyone know if the 6 magazines are for original tommy guns? I'm attaching a photo showing both style mags. The one on the right works with my gun. The one on the left will not lock into place.

post-273171-0-78083700-1625421933_thumb.jpeg

Edited by jpeternel

Hi I bought a 1927-A1 recently used. Its from West Hurley made in 1989. The previous owner purchased 6 extra mags however they don't lock in place. The one that works has an oval hole for the locking pin while the 6 that won't work have a round hole. Anyone know if the 6 magazines are for original tommy guns? I'm attaching a photo showing both style mags. The one on the right works with my gun. The one on the left will not lock into place.

The round hole magazines are original unmodified magazines, for what ever reason West Hurley semi's were made to only accept those with an oval hole. I would suggest leaving those with the round hole alone because once modified they loose a great deal of value. Magazines modified for your West Hurley are not difficult to find.

• Upvote 1

If you want to modify your magazines to work with your gun you need to cut/mill/grind an oval hole approximately 1/10 inch higher. Work slowly towards that 1/10 inch as soon as the magazine locks in place stop. If the magazine sits low it won't work well.

The round hole magazines are original unmodified magazines, for what ever reason West Hurley semi's were made to only accept those with an oval hole. I would suggest leaving those with the round hole alone because once modified they loose a great deal of value. Magazines modified for your West Hurley are not difficult to find.

To be technical the magazines made for semis will have a round hole. They will be oval if it is a magazine originally made for a full auto. Please take the above advise and do not alter the original magazines. There are magazines specifically made for semi autos.

• 2 weeks later...

A much better solution is to change the top radius of the magazine catch so you can use original unmodified magazines. I have done so with my west hurley and my kahr, works fine. They are re-popping magazine latches, so in the event you dont take your time and mess up its easy to get another. As many of the guys mentioned, you dont want to alter original (irreplaceable) magazines.

Gregg