Two Digit Colt 1921 for Auction

I've seen the gun a few times. I ran in to a patrolman in Jenkins. He said they had a Thompson with a 2 digit serial number. He wasn't joking.

Are you in that part of Kentucky?

Yes, No. 91. Letcher county is where my family is from.

While researching the early use of Thompsons in the 1920's, I read about the bitter labor disputes between the miners and coal companies of southern West Virginia. I discovered that many Thompson guns had been purchased by the coal companies in the southern West Virginia coalfields. The Logan Hardware and Supply store received nine model of 1921's in April and May of 1921. So No.91, may have been one of the Thompsons used in the Battle of Blair Mountain.

History is interesting, reading about the West Virginia Mine wars, I learned that three days prior to the IRA's baptism of fire of the Thompson gun at the Drumcondra ambush in June 1921, "the West Virginia State Police used Thompson guns to “spray” the mountainside near Lick Creek, where striking miners were firing at passing automobiles".

Below is an old photo from the period, showing some of the 'Logan county defenders', one of whom is armed with a Model of 1921.

Logan defenders on Main St.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

FROM THE POSTED ARTICLE:

"Police told us you need a Class three firearms license to own and operate the gun.

If you are an interested buyer, you can contact the Jenkins City Police Department.

City officials are working with an auction company for history on the item and to help sell it."

To bad I have to have a "Class III license" to own a Form 4 registered machine gun. Guess I will have to pass ;)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...