where to get a push pull safety and pin?

Years ago, several outfits made repro sliding handle safeties but Indy is the only one doing it now. The sliding handle is held onto the bolt cocking handle stud with a small through pin that is peened on either end to hold it in place. The pin moves inside the handle in the rectangular cutout in the side of the cocking handle stud limiting its movement to the distance between the small holes in the bottom of the handle which are indexed by a small spring loaded ball bearing. Some makers of the cocking handle studs had two recesses or dimples in the top side which were filled with white and red paint to indicate safe or fire when the handles was in or out. Other makers only had a red indicator to indicate the gun was unsafe and bolt loose while in battery.

I have repaired dozens of the sliding handles and installed quite a few repros as well.

unless i lose the part is this something id ever need?

ive got a spare original bolt coming that is complete except for this safety cap

if i wanted the hook, is this something i can swap out easily? are the hooks impossible to find? reproduction?

my safety is my finger, so id prefer the hook

Edited by huggytree

You can have the hook installed welded to the bolt and finished off. I like the look on them when done have Black River do it I would not trust anybody who has not done one to try it.

You want a perfect cosmetic and functioning job. and even to pay extra is worth it.

Colt 21A Ron

im hoping to find a hook bolt.....complete ones on GB, but im not sure id ever need it and the price is pretty high...ive got $250 for excellent w/o the on/off safety purchased...

how often does a bolt wear out? id think not often for the average shooter....i do plan to shoot thousands through it.....

If the locking slot for the sliding safety is already milled into the receiver you won't want a hook-type bolt handle because it would look funny. As far as longevity of the sliding safety goes, mines 77 years old and going strong. It does have a small dot of original red paint that's visible when the safety is in the fire position.

IMHO, the sliding safety was a righteous modification. An MP-40 dropped today is just as likely to go off accidentally go off as it was during WWII. I'm glad my gun is so equipped.