red bakelite

ive got an opportunity to buy some red bakelite for my mp40

just wanted to get opinions here to verify its the official red version...its a muddy red and will be coming from over seas

see anything wrong with it? opinions on quality? will it require any custom fitting to my gun?

S1yvnvF.jpg

FUsQNFp.jpg

VmpylML.jpg

4awAL6p.jpg

Edited by huggytree

Nice looking pieces Huggy...I think the colors were inconsistent during the WW2 production of these parts depending on the available resins they had on hand.

Roscoe..i have the "blitzkrieg" book...is the one you mentioned on amazon worth buying in addition to the one I have?? thx

Edited by Petroleum 1

pics are from Europe and was told it was getting dark...that color is better in person...

quality looks very good

paid w/ paypal and CC...so i have protection

i bought the Blitzkrieg book today

Rosco---recommend a 2nd book do you?...ive got 3 thompson books and all are valuable....wasnt sure if i needed 2 books for the mp40

Colors all over the place from black through brown to various shades of red. There seems to be a persistent rumor that production of MP40s required hand fitting of parts and that parts interchangeability wasn’t 100%. This is nonsense. This bit of foolishness pops up now and then in regard to Maxims, Vickers and other types of MGs. I challenge anyone to show me any parts from any of these guns with evidence of hand fitting on the parts that was done at the factory.

Look over your new handguards for cracks, small chips etc that’s might grow into larger problems and if it is solid it will go onto you gun with no trouble. FWIW

Thanks Bob

This was purchased from the guy who does the mp40 serial number website. Ive asked him for a letter to help prove in the future its real. His items for sale all appear real.

Didnt realize how prevalent fakes were. Especially on rare red Bakelite.

Nice looking pieces Huggy...I think the colors were inconsistent during the WW2 production of these parts depending on the available resins they had on hand.

Roscoe..i have the "blitzkrieg" book...is the one you mentioned on amazon worth buying in addition to the one I have?? thx

Much more in-depth book than Blitzkrieg.

Europe is rife with numerous fakes, fake stamps and fakes of some complex and unusual parts as well as complete firearms. Many items offered are not identified as new or repro so buyers have to be well informed or have someone vouch for the authenticity of the item.

www.wehermachtawards.com site has among many other pages, a firearms page that often lists and show pictures of various fakes sold in europe and eastern europe. Many well informed posters from many different countries on that site with pages for all aspects of military arms, armor, military equipment, etc so it is well worth joining and following.

So far, in the US, we have virtually no problems with fakes compared to overseas.

MP40s are being faked in Russia or one of the former combloc countries, I forget which, that are absolutely amazing!

Caveat emptor!

• Upvote 1

Have all the MP-40 books good stuff. and Alex sells original goods. However Bakelite and plastic MP-40 sets are out there made after 1945.And some rubbery type are trash. Also the company that made originals is still around. But I think pretty pricy I know I asked about a few set's. I am still trying to get in new made manufacture mags, Probably next year for that import. ALL this stuff is nothing but hurry hurry and wait.

Glad you located what you needed SAR you would have found all you needed you just would have had to visit around ten tables or so. Colt 21A Ron

You would think so, but I would not bet on it at all based on personal experience. None with this particular seller however. I would assume he gets in repro stuff from time to time without even knowing it, just like many others. The quality of stuff coming out of some of these places is nearly impossible to distinguish without chemical analysis in some cases.

im not paying too much for it...i felt it was a good deal if real...if not he is not killing me on price....i will get the $$ enjoyment out of it believing it to be real and liking the 2 tone look....i am brand new to the mp40, so i need to get educated on these details....from what ive read some repro bakelite is very difficult to tell....

just take a repro scratch some stuff on it...bang it around a bit...put some age into it....and a sucker will think its old....

i am curious why repro stuff is more prevelant on the mp40 vs the thompson.....maybe they just made more spare thompson parts? it seems like parts are endless...while many mp40 parts are made in repro.......just fewer mp40's made? fewer parts made? more popular world wide?

Probably because how much of the stuff from Germany was destroyed and the Thompson stuff was ratholed in England and Russia and Greece and Mideast. Sure German stuff was set aside also but much was destroyed in battle and after the war. I had pictures of mounds of helmets smashed and guns ran over by Sherman tanks.. And vets telling me how they would put K-98'S and Mp-40's in steel door jams and bend them or throw in hole and throw in grenade of course before they grabbed the one or two they wanted to smuggle home. It was said more P-38's are here then left in Germany however Russia had more. found hundreds of crates at the factories they captured. Only Walther escaped that and even Spreewerk got taken over. a whole history there.

And remember in Hungary and Prague area they make MP-40 items, Even seen paki made items for MP-40's and MP-44 from Libya from Afrika Korps days, Sure the A.K. was done by 1944 but guns got shipped. and stored for later battles. I am sure the hand guard set you bought might be okay. and if not its going on a shooter so no foul. What would be bad is to have a 98% MP-40 all matched and correct with hand guards and grips that Godzilla chewed on to replace with 98% correct one's, good luck in the hunt. Colt21A Ron