Speaking Of Hard Cases

I bought a repop case several years ago. It seems to me is was made by Roger Small/Roger Smart? Does that ring a bell with anyone? I think it is a police case. the rear lower compartment has left to right: four stick mags, buttstock, drum. Gun suts with muzzle to left.

I was done very nicely except the space for the drum was too narrow, so I took it to a guitar case maker and he fixed that problem without the fix being apparent. Anyway the manufaturer was more than willing to take the case back, but we worked out a deal on the price so that i kept the case, and after the fix, the total price including repair was less than $120.

Anyway, the question: I have a brass cleaning rod that is 16.25" long tip to end of loop. It is 3" too short to fit in the straps in the case lid. Was there a longer cleaning rod, or is one of the top straps in the wrong place too?

Thanks,

Doug

doug i bought about 25 of those from roger small,his last batch before he closed door's or whatever he did....i liked roger and we got along fine,

those came also with spot for only three mags also,and i think on a few of them. straps are wrong...............they were a nice case for the money at the time.

i only have one original and one repro.....i like them both.

i am sure they make a rod because when i sold them they came with the brass rods, that he made up for them...

glad you have one,beats using some foam black carry case for the tommy...........

remember all the oils over the years get's saoked up in these.........and if you leave a colt in it too long.things get messy.......................take care,ron

well doug did you get a brass rod when you bought the case or what??or is that something you picked up later. a bunch of places sold them for years,sarco,ricca,northridge,navy arm's.even interarms had a little place that sold some surplus for awhile....

but when sam died,the daughter well you know the story......no more ...........take care,ron

Brass rod came from someplace else. Old, tarnished. Don't know where.

All I can tell you is it is 16.25" long, and the loop is 2.25" OD, and the rod is 1/4" round stock with the larger diamters where the patch goes.

Doug

QUOTE (LIONHART @ Jun 7 2004, 01:05 PM)
Gordon H. sells the proper rod.

This begs the question: It is an exact duplicate of the original, and is it secretly marked so eveyone knows it is a replica? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

What is the proper length for the rod?

How does one get a hold of Gordon?

Thanks,

Doug

You can contact Gordon at GordonNOSPAMColt@aol.com (remove the NOSPAM). The rod he is selling is a repro, but from what I am told, a very good one. I don't know what secret marks he added.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Roger

Doug,

I have two of Gordon's 1921 rods. They are actually 20.25" overall length and made from 1/4" Brass rod. They are different from the 1928 Brass rod (which I think your one is) insomuch as they have a 5/8" x 3/16" slot milled in the rod about 2&1/2 " from the end. They are also threaded to take a brush.

He still has some, well he did when I saw him in December, I think the price is $110 but I am not shure.

They will fit in your case just fine. I have one in my Sweatman FBI case and it looks great.

Hope this of some help.

Regards

Murray

Just now getting back into Thompson's after 20 years and wonder where I might locate a repro case and stick mag pouches? Saw several for sale at the last Knob Creek but didn't have a Thompson at that time to make me get one. M

Greg Fox in Orlando makes the best cases I've seen. He is a memeber here AKA 1921A. His contact info should be in the FAQ section or look up 1921a and email him. He also makes the Indiana style salesmans case. Stick mag pouches can be found at either SARCO or IMA or eBay.

I just ordered 2 spare parts boxes with the rods based on the info presented on this forum...sounds like Gordon is going to be busy filling orders...now to get with Greg Fox on color of interior....