MP-40 Sling Experts

I bought this MP-40 sling, and have received it. Could the experts advise on its originality:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820036194

I don't see any markings on it. It does have a slight musky smell, and I will air it out and believe it will be fine in a couple of days or so.

Let me know if any questions.

Thanks,

Robert

You should see the pattern on the leather. Mine is heavily used and the pattern doesnt show everywhere. If you cannot see this pattern somewhere? Then I vote its not a mp40 sling Edited by huggytree

Your sling may be post war Austrian (there were no differences but a stamp) but for 35 bucks you did fine!

It does not appear to be a cut down 98K sling. The milled steel button looks post war. Early steel German buttons were milled and had two flat inner surfaces, with generally one flat outer surface with the other convex, or two convex. They were well made. This one has two convex surfaces against the leather.

You find the stamped end pieces on the friction bar after about 1942. Before that, the bar was a single milled piece.

Not all MP-40 slings were marked or cross-hatched. Here are pics of one of mine. You can see the makers mark and dimly see the MP 38 u. 40 stamp, which doesn't survive on well used examples. The sling is original to my all matching bnz 41 MP-40. The sling was made in Austria to German specs. It has no cross hatching.

MVC-103S.JPG

MVC-104S.JPG

MVC-092S.JPG

Edited by TSMGguy

Not all MP-40 slings were marked or cross-hatched. Here are pics of one of mine. You can see the makers mark and dimly see the MP 38 u. 40 stamp, which doesn't survive on well used examples. The sling is original to my all matching bnz 41 MP-40. The sling was also made in Austria. It has no cross hatching.

I remembered this fact from a post a long time ago. I did look for markings with a magnifying glass, but I'll have to look further with better lighting to see if I can see any markings. It certainly has the look and feel of an original. All very helpful.

Thanks,

Robert

Looking thru some books this sling looks like a post war Italian copy of a German WW2 sling.

Thanks Vin. I think it's definitely intended for a MP-40 but the extra length is interesting (providing for a little lower carry when slung).

When I get a chance I'll install on my BNZ 41 and see how it looks.

Robert

Very nice. I do have six nice 98E magazines (and some other different code magazines). I've got the repro pouch. Would like to have a nice original like in the link but very expensive from what I've seen. I do keep my eyes open. Here's a leather one on GB: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/822223425