Form 4 Transfer Time

Stampcollector

• 3 weeks later...

How about the ATF phone answer person saying the form 4's are still pending, and they arrive in the seller's mailbox the next day.

This just happen to me.

That was some seriously fast processing. :blink: (Nine months from pending to seller's mailbox, if anyone's wondering).

My June 19 stamp just arrived a few days ago. 9+ months.

Was that stamp for your Thompson?

No...i got my M1A1 last year this stamp is for a very minty Beretta 38/42 bring back.

Oh really cool Vin. I just hit 9 months on my Thompson and still pending and in fact has not been assigned to an examiner. I know it won't really help, but I wrote to my Republican US Congressional Rep yesterday and explained all the issues with the current process times. I used an analogy of purchasing an expensive car paid in full by the buyer at a dealership, but the dealer keeps the vehicle until the paperwork is cleared with DMV and verify you have a valid Lic. Sounds reasonable until the car is kept at the dealership for 9 to 12 months and the DMV forms are in a pile along with other forms yet to be assigned. At least I feel better after writing the email to him.

The other issue is the ATF has not cashed my check yet for the grease gun Form 4 and has hit one month since it was mailed out by my dealer. It was sent to Portland Or form Salem, Oregon!! When I called the ATF, they said to wait at least a few more weeks before I should be concerned!! How could they lose my paperwork? Or are they that slow right now? I also included that to my US Rep. regarding the grease gun and no record from the ATF that they received it. Funny Salem to Portland is only 32 miles away.

Edited by NFA amnesty

id be very concerned on the GG...ive ALWAYS had the check cashed in 1 week or less. Id consider resending in the paper work again...sure its $200 more, but good chance that original check is long gone....cancel the check

your just adding to your wait in line

they took 5 months to refund me on a canceled stamp from a build i gave up on

they lost 1 stamp..1.5 years now and it never showed up.

things happen...i think we should all vote for bigger government

id be very concerned on the GG...ive ALWAYS had the check cashed in 1 week or less. Id consider resending in the paper work again...sure its $200 more, but good chance that original check is long gone....cancel the check

your just adding to your wait in line

they took 5 months to refund me on a canceled stamp from a build i gave up on

they lost 1 stamp..1.5 years now and it never showed up.

things happen...i think we should all vote for bigger government

Agree with you Dave, I have never gone more than 1 week to 10 days on the check being cashed after the paperwork was mailed out. Have never had this happen before but wondering since they moved the initial process to Portland, they are behind? I am going to wait just a bit longer as I am going on vacation, and when I return, will call ATF, tell them they lost the paperwork and going to resend the forms again with a new check. I will also update my congressman and see if he can get the ATF to advance my GG process.

I don't expect a darn thing to happen with involving my congressman and sure ATF will say they only have an approved budget to have so many employees and they can't handle all the forms, etc, etc, etc. Basically "Pound Sound" in a nice way. They will also state they never received my paperwork and will blame my dealer or the USPS, however my dealer has never screwed up any of my NFA transfers.

Oh well, could have a lot of worse things happen to me in life and this is such a small bump. One of our friends is in the hospital, bleeding out and not sure if they can save him as he is in his 80's. His name is Dick and know he and his wife would love to receive prayers. Puts everything in perspective and makes you appreciate what we have in life. Since this is Sunday, God Bless everyone and take care.

individual to dealer

cashed 11/30/18

issued 3/2/19

still hasnt shown up at my seller...a week away from me asking the ATF for a certified copy (been through this before ugghh)

Was this Form 4 paper from individual to dealer?

I have an SOT for my business and a trust for personal stuff. It would be worth the extra $200 on my next personal transfer to send it first to my business if I might get it in 4-5 months.

yes paper from individual to dealer..should take 2-3 months...took 5...trump added 6 weeks....still dont have the gun at my dealer also...owner on winter vacation...broker involved too...nothing moving at light speed on their end...when its over and in my hands it will be 15+ months i suspect

When I send in paperwork to the ATF it goes express overnite USPS and I get a signature. Is it possible the dealer didn't get the GG paperwork out when he said it went and how was it sent??

No he is a great guy and would tell me if he forgot to send it when I called him last week to discuss the situation. However he did not send it express nor require a signature so lesson learned. This is a first for him and for me on the paperwork not being processed by the ATF. But It's okay, a bit disappointing but the GG is at my dealers, it is paid for, but got delayed a couple of months. Not happy about it, but could be a lot worse.

I will let everyone know if by a miracle the check gets cashed in the next few weeks.

Edited by NFA amnesty

Variety of ways to send in your paperwork that gives you an indication of delivery. Priority Mail, registered mail, delivery confirmation, all much less expensive than Express.

Yep, when we resubmit, will try one of the options. Would love to know what happened in the Portland office. I can only imagine what they did to my forms!! Wonder if someone faxed it using a shredder?

As of this morning check has not been cashed yet.

Edited by NFA amnesty

$23 doesnt seem like a lot to me when Im spending $20k on a gun. Its just my way of thinking...everyone can do their own thing.

Overkill on shipping doesn't get the forms processed any faster.

My last few transfers I have used a credit card instead of a check. USPS 2 day delivery and on the delivery date I check the credit card site and the account is debited that day. Additionally, last year at about 550 days I gave up and had the SOT cancel a transaction. The credit showed up on my account 2 weeks later.