Current Value - Beretta 38/42

GWick123

I wanted to get a sense of current values of a Beretta 38/42 and thought this would obviously be one of the best forums to obtain good information - especially sense there are few for sale or sold and the ranges are pretty extreme. Gun is a carry-back, 1968 Amnesty with a current stamp. Seems to be in good condition, war used and is unmolested. Blue is certainly worn (probably appropriate for the age and function) and all numbers appear to be matching. Gun-smithed recently by a class III dealer and they said it was in proper condition. They had one concern about the stock, however, after further investigation (taking the butt plate off), it was either repaired a very long time ago or produced from the factory. The perceived defect is that the stock has a fine line that looks like a crack, however is perfectly straight and has a dovetail joint running the length (certainly not a field repair). I can certainly post pics shortly, just need to access the gun to take new ones. Any specific pics needed? Any thoughts are much appreciated!

They dont come up often . My dewat 38/44 original finish was $8500 last November. 2 forum members got 38/42s around the same price .

There was a 38/42 in one of the auctions that went nutty

(Was it $40,000??)

Its an advanced collector gun. Not a huge market. My 38/44 sat for 1.5 months at around $12,000. My offer of $8500 was jumped at with no counter offer. Told me he hadnt gotten any higher offers in the 6 weeks it sat

Too few sell to know value.

A 38a refinished sat for 2 months I think at $12,500. A year ago. Nfa sales had a beauty all original w bringback papers at $18,000. He kept the gun for his own collection, yet one just sold at auction for nutty money again ($30-35,000?)

These guns all show up 2-4 times a year

Theres a guy on gb that has lots of parts. He has helped me with some spares I wanted. Let me know if you want his contact Info

Post some pics.

Edited by huggytree

Nice gun

Is it for sale ?

There are replacement stocks on gb for cheap

Its crack is part of its history. On my phone I cant see if your stock is serial numbered . If not Id consider swapping it. If its an original fluted barrel gun its a bit rare

Edited by huggytree
  • Upvote 1

I had looked into replacing the stock before I removed the butt plate. As I mentioned above, it doesn't appear to be actual damage. I didn't take a pic with the butt plate off, however, if you examine both sides, it's perfect, smooth and not cracked on the wood grain. Inside, the stock has a dovetail running the entire length of the crack. It's definitely not a field repair. I am assuming it was made that way. If it were a crack, it would not be in a straight line and would likely have some wood missing if it was carved down to flatten the crack. I believe it is serial numbered, but would have to look. All visible numbers appear to match as well. With regard to sale, I haven't yet decided what I want to do with it.

Edited by GWick123

The gun is in nice wartime condition. Couple of things i noticed is like huggy said you have the fluted barrel which makes it an early model. The sling mount is missing but those can be found online. There Is a variety of different types of markings i have seen on these guns. Some...like mine have smooth barrels and only one serial number on the receiver. No numbers on the barrel or stock.The stock on my gun has the 4UT marking which Im told has something to do with the guns sent to the German army.

Your receiver has the serial number and beretta roll markings. One important marking on your beretta is the MP. I believe that is a German acceptance stamp. They called the Beretta 38/42 the MP738. look for the 4UT stamp on the stock its near the sling mount. I think this gun has some nice value probably $15k or more.

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/75/2617/beretta-3842-submachine-gun-fully-automatic

I cant understand why this one sold for so much money but as a comparison yours has the same markings and is in better condition imo other than the stock.

Sent from my iPhone

Edited by Petroleum 1

Ruben gets them occasionally. Around $13K for nice ones as I recall. Why anyone would spend $8,500 on a M11 (Mac) instead of invest in a C&R WWII Beretta 38/42 is beyond me.

The trend is clearly up if you look at the Machinegun Price Guide:

www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/rest_subguns_14.html

Robert

I have a suspicion that the marking isn't the year, but rather a number for the inspector (see my PDF above), however, have not tied it to anything specific yet (year, product or manufacturer). I am sure all of you know quite a bit more than I do as this is new to me and likely have a good explanation of the markings, however, I have not been able to find anything definitive online. I even asked a few "experts" that have written articles and haven't gotten much. I also agree, from my brief research, that the year 44 would be in conflict with the fluted barrel. If the serial numbers were not matching, I would speculate that someone changed the barrel, however, all numbers match. The second mark on my gun is also curious (attached). I have seen the 4UT44 a few times, but not the second. Looked at proof marks and other German mark lists to see if anything looks similar and haven't found anything.

post-262379-0-78273900-1568811051_thumb.jpg

I wish there was a way to track production serial numbers by years. Some are loaded with markings and serial numbers others like mine with just one serial number and no roll markings. I assume as the war went on and the Italians simplified the process to speed up production.

The second mark on my gun is also curious (attached). I have seen the 4UT44 a few times, but not the second. Looked at proof marks and other German mark lists to see if anything looks similar and haven't found anything.

Have you tried Italian marks? If this gun was produced on 1942 perhaps it's not German.

Kanister, Certainly a possibility and I have not looked through those markings so far. Most of what I have found has been acceptance stamps of the German army. From the regions where I believe the gun was acquired, German acceptance stamps make the most sense. That said, it could have been traded or brought back by a brother. Carry back was from my dad - he was in France, Germany and Czechoslovakia. His brother was in Italy, however, don't believe he gave it to him and would likely be in conflict with the 4UT44 if it were from the Italian forces. Could be some sort proof mark from the factory for sure, but have not seen it on any other guns posted thus far. For shits and grins, I reached out to Baretta service to see if they have any historical records.

I have found a similar mark on an Italian M1891 stock: it has only little differences.

Another similar mark was applied by inspectors of the Royal Navy.

Remember that after September '43 Germans seized every gun they can and many went to Normandy and other war theaters.

post-260088-0-10880000-1568923888_thumb.png

Edited by kanister

I searched a bit after your initial comment, and couldn't find anything exact, although, there was a French mark that seemed to be close as well (squint and have wear over the years). The French mark was a lot earlier though. Saw a few remotely similar from Italy, but not close enough. I couldn't see the attachment for some reason. I would be curious, however, that when they started seizing weapons, did they go through the inspection and acceptance process to get the 4UT44 stamps as well - which I believe is pretty well accepted as a German acceptance stamp (although I haven't seen anything definitive on that either)? It's definitely interesting to try to figure out where it came from and what happened. Unfortunate that there's not a ton of information out there.