M1 For Sale by Ruben

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=28645&query=retrieval

here's a M1 for you.....i dont know what the .22 kit is worth...the mags add a few hundred worth of value...the guy wants Ruben prices, but after the gun sits for a month he should be ready for a $23-24k offer if its in good enough condition....id be shocked if it sold for $27k unless it was matching # & original finish

i think it will sit for a while

my recommendation----dont make him an offer...ask for pics, decide if your interested...let him lower the price, let it sit....too many times these guns for sale by owner wont budge....making them an offer just offends them...they need to learn on their own their price is too high......some take a month, some take a year, some never learn.....ive found offering them anything less than they want just offends them and when the gun does come down in price they wont sell it to you....if he hasnt lowered the price in a month, maybe send him an email asking if he is open to offers......Most small dealers will deal down, individuals never seem to

Edited by huggytree

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=28645&query=retrieval

here's a M1 for you.....i dont know what the .22 kit is worth...the mags add a few hundred worth of value...the guy wants Ruben prices, but after the gun sits for a month he should be ready for a $23-24k offer if its in good enough condition....id be shocked if it sold for $27k unless it was matching # & original finish

i think it will sit for a while

my recommendation----dont make him an offer...ask for pics, decide if your interested...let him lower the price, let it sit....too many times these guns for sale by owner wont budge....making them an offer just offends them...they need to learn on their own their price is too high......some take a month, some take a year, some never learn.....ive found offering them anything less than they want just offends them and when the gun does come down in price they wont sell it to you....if he hasnt lowered the price in a month, maybe send him an email asking if he is open to offers......Most small dealers will deal down, individuals never seem to

I'm the guy who has that for sale. No need to try to teach me a lesson... I'm not a jerk. It's my only mg. I'm just a guy trying to buy a farm. If you have questions feel free to ask. My contact info is listed. If I remember right the cost was about (just under?) a thousand for all the .22 parts. I would have posted more pictures but I had difficulty sizing them to conform to the subguns requirements.

never called you a jerk...didnt say anything offensive about you....just giving advice on bargaining...1/2 the guns ive tried to buy were over priced and i offended the seller from giving them an offer...in 2 cases they sold the gun 1-2 months later for LESS than my offer....so this is where my advice comes from.

i also had issues posting pics on subguns and gave up....they said i was the only one!!....they posted a pic for me...

I wish you luck on your sale and i hope Thompsons have gone up in price enough to where $27k for a M1 w/ nice extra's is a correct price.

Edited by huggytree

If $27,000 is now the going rate for a nice m1 then Ruben is off by $3-4K as he is always high. And 1928's are now $30,000 guns. Or m1's have moved up to tie 1928's

The market will decide. Thompsons haven't gone up like other guns over the past year. Or maybe they have without me noticing.

I prefer higher prices as I own a Thompson

Not trying to rag on the seller. He is testing the high mark on the market. Curious to see what happens

Edited by huggytree

If $27,000 is now the going rate for a nice m1 then Ruben is off by $3-4K as he is always high. And 1928's are now $30,000 guns. Or m1's have moved up to tie 1928's

The market will decide. Thompsons haven't gone up like other guns over the past year. Or maybe they have without me noticing.

I prefer higher prices as I own a Thompson

Not trying to rag on the seller. He is testing the high mark on the market. Curious to see what happens

Amazing how condition from one gun to the other can be so ignored?

I only buy condition and not price. (redundant)

Eric

most M1 thompsons ive seen are all very similar...they all are refinished and mismatched...they all look pretty good...i dont know if ive ever seen an ugly one

most machine guns in general are all in about the same condition....80-90% have barely been used....people bought them when they were $250 just to say they owned one.....with guns like the Mac they just refinish them before selling

the gun currently for sale looks beautiful! from the 2 pics.

Just my opinion, but I think $27K for an M1 with nice extras is a good price. Perhaps a board member here will buy it from this board member.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thanks David. Our offer on a property was just accepted, so I'm a little more motivated to move this one. I also just came across a NOS barrel for it that I forgot I had that can be added into the deal if a board member were interested.

My brother Andy is editing photos today of another M1 that Ruben just received into inventory. I have only seen one photo, and I don't know a price yet.

I would assume this is the one--

http://dealernfa.com/shop/wwii-cr-m1-thompson-bridgeport-ct-63386/

(popped up on Sturm yesterday, on Reuben's site as of today)

So, in Reuben's pricing structure, "just" $1K more than a Reactivated gun.

I would call and ask what "refurbished" means.

My guess would be that the guy who sold it to him had it rebarreled and refinished, got new wood for it, stuff like that. Did a make-over on it.

The park job on it looks too uniform to be a WWII vintage refinish.

I would call and ask what "refurbished" means.

My guess would be that the guy who sold it to him had it rebarreled and refinished, got new wood for it, stuff like that. Did a make-over on it.

The park job on it looks too uniform to be a WWII vintage refinish.

Did anyone find out who refurbished it?

IMHO, the reactivated gun is the nicer of the two. The markings are more crisp and the original exterior milling marks have not been buffed out of the metal.

What does refurbished mean and do you guys think this would be a nice one? Please do not consider price comments. Just the gun.

Thanks

Eric

i really would just wait...give it a few months....see some more options, read some books if you havent..........there will always be one from Ruben ...your not going to miss it ..nothing he has is special right now...he will always have beautiful guns if $ is not the issue.

Id ask Ruben for all the details...the couple times i talked and emailed with him he was very quick to answer....your paying a premium for service and that is what he will deliver...

Edited by huggytree

What does refurbished mean and do you guys think this would be a nice one? Please do not consider price comments. Just the gun.

Thanks

Eric

i really would just wait...give it a few months....see some more options, read some books if you havent..........there will always be one from Ruben ...your not going to miss it ..nothing he has is special right now...he will always have beautiful guns if $ is not the issue.

Id ask Ruben for all the details...the couple times i talked and emailed with him he was very quick to answer....your paying a premium for service and that is what he will deliver...

I agree and I appreciate the advice. Just to clarify........money is an issue but I always shop quality and not price when it come to certain items. Lol

Eric

Machine guns should not be viewed as investments, in my opinion. Buy them because you like them, and can afford them. While the MG's I have were all amazing investments in hindsight, I never purchased them with any investment goal in mind.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

I agree Dave! But with the greed in our hobby and these thieving auction houses with their 15 to 21% " premium " charges on top of the price of a NFA or any other firearm for that matter, prices will continue to skyrocket!

The auction houses provide a safe way to buy and sell collectable weapons. I don't see making a profit for a service to be greed.

Bob D

brucea4,

The reason that the prices are going up is because the supply is fixed and demand keeps increasing.

Nothing more and nothing less. It's not greed, it's free trade.

All those millions of baby boomers are out there at their peak earning power, kids done with college, house paid for, and nothing to spend their money on but all the toys they always wanted.

Suppose a guy is a dentist and his wife is a lawyer, between the two of them they are pulling down $350k a year. What does he care if a Thompson costs $27,000 instead of $26,000?

Plus there are youtube videos of people shooting MGs that have gotten MILLIONS of views. That's 24/7 advertising for MG ownership.

Balanced against all that is a tiny supply of MGs, of which only a handful go on sale every year. Sometimes there is not one single M1A1 Thompson for sale in the whole USA.

AND

The more valuable these guns get, the more they will be owned by hardcore collectors than shooters. Hardcore collectors form an emotional bond with their collections, they see guns as precious and irreplaceable. That makes the supply dry up even more as the collectors hoard them until they die.

It would not surprise me to see these pre-45 Thompson selling for $100k+ someday.

The auction houses provide a safe way to buy and sell collectable weapons. I don't see making a profit for a service to be greed.

Bob D

There are NO BARGAINS in these auctions anymore. Most if not all of the firearms sell for just about what they are worth. BUT NOW, they are automatically 15 to 21% percent more........Buy a 40K MG and even at only the 15% premium charge that is still $6000 added onto the price!!! Where the h@ll do you think an auction house is entitled to a $6000 profit????

brucea4

You described the gun owners as "greedy" and the auction houses as "thieving".

You don't seem to grasp the voluntary nature of hobby gun collecting.

The auction house "deserves" whatever fee their customers voluntarily pay them.

The prices you see in that auction are called "free trade", not greed.

Free trade is good stuff, it built the whole world.

Edited by buzz

brucea4,

The reason that the prices are going up is because the supply is fixed and demand keeps increasing.

Nothing more and nothing less. It's not greed, it's free trade.

All those millions of baby boomers are out there at their peak earning power, kids done with college, house paid for, and nothing to spend their money on but all the toys they always wanted.

Suppose a guy is a dentist and his wife is a lawyer, between the two of them they are pulling down $350k a year. What does he care if a Thompson costs $27,000 instead of $26,000?

Plus there are youtube videos of people shooting MGs that have gotten MILLIONS of views. That's 24/7 advertising for MG ownership.

Balanced against all that is a tiny supply of MGs, of which only a handful go on sale every year. Sometimes there is not one single M1A1 Thompson for sale in the whole USA.

AND

The more valuable these guns get, the more they will be owned by hardcore collectors than shooters. Hardcore collectors form an emotional bond with their collections, they see guns as precious and irreplaceable. That makes the supply dry up even more as the collectors hoard them until they die.

It would not surprise me to see these pre-45 Thompson selling for $100k+ someday.

There is a movement to repeal the 1986 ban.

Over at FAL Files there is mention of a petition.

I mentioned that to some that have already sunk huge funds into machine guns this is not so good.

Then the mob tarred and feathered me mentioning "Freedom". A freedom they already have just wont step up to the plate for.

Apparently dissenting opinion ( Freedom of speech) is not welcome over there.

Edited by lightguy

When I run out of checks, the check printing company charges me $50 plus shipping for 1000 new checks. Seems like a deal. I attend Julia auctions as often as I can, and being an FFL/SOT I get their catalogs for free. Definitely a deal. There are usually two or three two hundred plus pages of full color pictures with descriptions of al guns offered. Publication of 10k (?) of these sets every auction, plus cost of gun set-up and photography and ancillary costs are very high. Julia has thousands of guns in storage and on display at any time requiring care and insurance. Numerous employees required to handle the day to day business, large facility, vehicles, etc, etc.

Auction preview days are an extremely unique opportunity to see countless firearms in one place, an educational opportunity unavailable anywhere else. The Bruce Stern MG collection, the Evergreen MG collection are two recent auctions that were prime examples of an opportunity to handle and examine many vintage and modern MGs otherwise invisible.

The immense handgun collection of the English collector, Geoffrey Sturgis, was at Julia's and laid out for inspection. A treasure trove of prototypes, transitional, one-of-a-kind, early and first production, experimental, etc, etc at one's fingertips. Countless $50-100k handguns within reach for the gun nut who attended. Rooms full of every type of vintage rifle, shotgun, handgun that has ever been produced! There is no other place in the world comparable to such a place as Julia's, as well as other major auction houses. They are in business to make money and if you don't like them, don't bid, or just stay away. But, you are missing out on one of the most educational and entertaining firearms events ever. There have been some incredible deals on MGs offered at auction in recent years even with the buyer's premium.

Aside from the above, the houses provide an excellent way for people to sell their guns with minor hassle. Good service is expensive!

Not all houses are equal, of course, and each has its weaknesses, but I, for one, applaud them for their efforts and can't fairly begrudge their rewards.

Same for MG parts and accessories importers!

Edited by Black River Militaria CII