Sheriff's Office to sell Colt 1921 Thompson

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the auction runs the way they are talking its liable to be a cluster f@@k but that is my own opinion for what it is worth. I have known about this gun and its potential sale for almost a year (few weeks shy of a year) It is also amazing to hear the rumors flying around the county about it too.

I will hold my other opinions of the sale and the road that has lead up to this point to myself, but one day in the near future I will remind a few people in my county that there are ways of doing things and not doing things and sometimes something as simple as a "thank you" can go a long way when you have helped get the ball rolling so they can cash in....

So, if this gun was appraised by Tracie Hill around 37 K, how does the Sheriff think it will run up to 50K? Who would overbid by 13k ish? Unless it is coming with alot of expensive extras that wasn't mentioned in a recent newpaper article...

Good luck to the bidders.

What you see is what you get, a Colt era "L" drum, 4 Pat Date mags. cleaning rod and book. The reason he thinks it'll bring $50K is there are a couple local big wigs who have more money than sense who want to use this as a tax right off (my guess or make them feel good about themselves) to buy a piece of local history and never fully appreciate it. I do know that there are is one serious Thompson collector flying in to bid on the gun.

After some talks with several board members on here, I think its best that I either walk away when it gets stupid money (over $40K) as there are MANY Colt Thompson's that can be bought for that. I too want it as its a local gun, but bidding out of spite is a stupid reason to try and buy something. Emotion is trying to get the best of a business decision.

The hilarious part is that when they first approached me about the gun last year, they were hoping to it would be worth $18K-$20K as and I quote "would get us what we need" Now they are seeing dollar signs and making it sound like this will almost get them what they need......yet they aren't talking about the trama/med kits that my local club, Tusco Rifle Club, and host of the Thompson Collectors Assn. show and shoot next month. They sure do like to act like they need money but yet they get donations. The main reason they want to sell the gun is so that they can buy issued side arms for the road deputies so they can have caliber commonality and ability to swap mags if needed.....currently they have 9mm, 40S&W, 45 acp, 38 spcl, and even one guy who carries a 357 SIG. I am all for Law Enforcement and keeping them safe so they can do their job, but wouldn't it be easier to mandate a caliber across the board and call it a day? Other local PD's do this "you can carry anything you want as long as its 9mm" seems pretty much on point to me. I understand magazine compatibility, but the last time there was a gun fight in Tuscarawas county it was over 15 years ago. To the other point, if an officer is engaged and goes though the ammo on his belt (each deputy carries an average of 45 rds) then swapping mags at that point isn't going to do a lot of good and they should be employing better tactics. Mind you that last part is coming from the guys on the road, with whom I talk to on a regular basis. Handgun get you to your long gun and each cruiser is equipped with an M4......

Gotta love local politics......

Actually I think I'm gonna say screw it and buy a belt fed instead

I won't tell you not to buy a belted. Many folks love them. I bought my only belt fed, an MG-40 (ANM2) in 1989, and have probably only fired 1000 rounds through it since then. I haven't fired it in about 14 years. I went through a period when I got a little bored with subguns, and thought about maybe buying another beltfed, but decided against it. The boredom was mostly due to range availability at the time. Now, I much prefer my subguns.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

John,

Look at it this way, it was really a swell dream while it lasted, and we all hope you enjoyed it while it lasted. But sooner or later that damn thing called reality was bound to burst the bubble.

Most government agency's are required to sell expensive items by auction rather than selling to a buddy at a discount. Your only chance to beat this system is if you could signed a contract to trade all the pistols and vests and gear required a year ago like it was done in the old days. But even that is a long shot.

But the good news is, I think the local sheriffs is selling their belt fed.

Jim C

John,

Look at it this way, it was really a swell dream while it lasted, and we all hope you enjoyed it while it lasted. But sooner or later that damn thing called reality was bound to burst the bubble.

Most government agency's are required to sell expensive items by auction rather than selling to a buddy at a discount. Your only chance to beat this system is if you could signed a contract to trade all the pistols and vests and gear required a year ago like it was done in the old days. But even that is a long shot.

But the good news is, I think the local sheriffs is selling their belt fed.

Jim C

But the bad news your also gonna have to bid on the belt fed against a bunch of rich guys

Edited by Junkhunter

It's all good. I'm sorry if I've given off the feeling that I'm upset over the chance of not getting the gun. This is not the case. It's more that a simple "thank you" couldn't be given or a phone call about the auction, but rather being blind sided/surprised at the TATA show with the info.

I apologize again if it came off that I'm down grading the gun or I'm expressing anger over losing the gun or not being able to get it at the sale. It's a long issue that is hard to explain online. If anyone would like to ask me about it, they are more than welcome to give me a call.

If I were you I'd go to the auction. Rumors of heavy hitters flying in are probably over rated and you might get a deal since the auction will likely be run poorly......like so many are. Being there is a big deal at any auction. RIA and Julias would have a tough time getting 45K and they have giant lists of well heeled buyers and run auctions semi professionally. The odds of a small town PD drawing those buyers is slim. Best of luck, but I will say I'd look at a belt fed myself or something else for that kind of coin. 35K buys you 95% of transferable guns available.

In the great "injustices of life"... the next time you see a young veteran in a wheel chair, limbs missing, tell them thank you. Most say "its their fault, they volunteered!".

At least one bidder understands "PTSD", has an extra letter...

Good Luck.

I don't get this thread.

Apparently the PD has a Thompson which they are going to sell. That's good news.

They are going to sell it at some crappy local auction. Also good news.

Anyone can bid on it. Also good news.

The guy willing to pay the most will get it. That's fair as you can get, also known as "free trade".

Not really seeing the downside here.

You are not the guy who suggested to the Sheriff's office that they sell it. And is local. And wants it. Without deep pocket out of town buyers to compete with.

It is all a matter of perspective. But, opinions are like.....

I do not know the back story on the thread.

Got Uzi, did the PD promise you the gun at a low price? If so, why would they? I doubt they would be allowed to dispose of the county's property that way.

The first job of all civil servants is to not get into trouble by breaking rules. That's really the driving force of all government employees.

Trust me, I've worked government contracts as a consultant for decades.

Edited by buzz

I agree that if you want it, pull together whatever funds you are willing to spend and show up at the auction.

The guys with real deep pockets tend to be busy people. They aren't going show up at an auction for a chance to buy something they want. They are going call of of the big dealers and just buy one. The big dealers aren't likely to waste time chasing a 1 gun auction. Even if they allow remote bidders, they will be at a disadvantage in a poorly run auction.

Maybe it will bring big money, but some of these fall way short of the hype.

Posted for those who are interested. Jim C ----------------------------------------------------------Jim, we have a 10% of purchase price down at the time of purchase. The remainder of the balance would then be due upon clearance of paperwork from the ATF. The opening bid is going to be at $37,000 but we have several players that have made the comment that they will open the bid at 40K to get the tire kickers out of the way!!! The winning price will be the price, so no hidden fees from the auction or anything else and there will be no sales tax. We have two old 37 mm gas launchers, a 1897 Winchester 12 ga pump action, Marling camp 9 9mm rifle and a Savage model 110 270 cal rifle with a cheaper bushnell optic on top for sale. The auction is September 11th at 7pm here at the Sheriffs Office, located at 2295 Reiser Ave. SE, New Philadelphia OH, 44663. My name is Lt. Alford if you have any other questions, as I have taken the lead on the sale. Thanks for the interest in this fine gun. LT

Edited by jim c 351

Thanks for posting.

Apparently they think that a guy making a $37,000 bid on a firearm is a low-life "tire kicker".

But someone making a $40k bid is not a tire kicker, he's a "player".

LOL

There's some real strange thinking there. You wouldn't expect the difference between Skid Row and Park Avenue to be a $3k spread on bids.