Genuine (?) FBI Carrying case on Ebay

Just scoped this out on Ebay, ( auction # 322652862208 ) and thought I would inform the group. If its legit, someone can post the link. I do not know enough about these cases to know if genuine or not, but I'm sure one of you can guru the authenticity. I'm not the seller, nor am I affiliated in any way with the seller. Looks like a decent case though, Cheers JB

The word faux does not bother me too much as they were not leather originally anyway. That being said, hopefully those that evaluated this case can post on the board of their evaluation. All of the experts on Thompson cases are on this board.

"Those of you who are looking to add to your exclusive thompson collection or get the perfect accessory for your $20,000 thompson, look no further. Once again, this is genuine, do not attempt to say otherwise or you will be blocked from bidding. I am very knowledgeable in the Thompson stuff and still had others look at this for verification. Reserve has been decided and set only after speaking to a few other experts."

I was going to send a courtesy email with my observations, but it seems that would be unwelcomed. And no, I am not bidding as I have a genuine original case. It is correct that this will go well with a $20,000 Thompson, but not a $40,000 Thompson

Ron

Some peoples are just so arrogant, how can you be so superb to dont even accepting to listen other people advices or suggestions..

well, could be a great deal if someone is looking a cheaper option than IMA ones (currently 250$)

but i never seen one like this, with such weird corners.

oh and for sure his reserve price must be quite above 250..

"I am very knowledgeable in the Thompson stuff and still had others look at this for verification."

Yet the owner this, faux case is unsure if an m1/m1a1 will fit in the case.

Faux=genuine imitation.

We have discussed this type of hardcase on the Board previously:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13091&hl=terrell

It was manufactured by James G. Terrell of West Covina, California from 1975 to probably sometime in the 1980's. These are sturdy and robust hardcases, but certainly not original. I have not seen one on the market in many years.

If you read his added description on Aug 15 he states it's not a fbi case from the 1930's but not a modern reproduction either? As T.D. stated it's probably from the 1975 to 1985 period. It amazes me what people will pay these days......

​I'm not a ebay expert but the bidding looks like a run up from the same person . Check the bidding details 12 bids from the same bidder . Questionable I would think ???.

I am guessing reserve was set at a grand. Auction had a reserve originally.

My guess is that this guy bought it as original, got burned after talking to experts and is now trying to recoup through a carefully worded auction. Purely my speculation and I have not approached the seller. Clearly there is no point.

This add reads much like a certain individuals West Hurley auctions. It could clearly indicate this is a higher quality reproduction, recreation copy, etc made in the 70s but it does not. There is all the verbiage that talks about how many furniture makers made various cases. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the FBI and police likely were not buying cases in the 70s to carry their Thompsons.

I see where the seller is coming from, I just hope bidders or potential bidders do their homework before shelling out some cash.

Ron

I bought one of these from a reputable seller (in person) about 4 years ago. Same baby blue interior TD showed previously. Nice case.

But I paid $300 - and I bought it from probably the most reputable Thompson authority in the world.

The value for one of this maker's cases starts with that number, and rises based on need/desire - not originality. For $300 it beats the heck out of the Hurley / Kahr stuff. But not a grand worth...

I challenge the knowledgeable seller to post here about his case. If he knows about Thompsons, he must know about this site. Most likely he is reading this - that is why he added the note that he did. Tell us about your case!

I tried to inform the seller that it was a Terrell case and sold for $165 back when. I said it wasn't a "genuine FBI" case from the 30's.

He said he didn't say it was from the 30's. He said it isn't a repro. "it is a real made Thompson case. Simple as that." He further stated that the info from Tom from Kentucky may be incorrect. He said the case came from the Plainfield PD.

The seller is a Thompson expert and this case would be nice for your 20K 1928 Thompson. A 20k Thoppson is a West Hurley so they were probably made about the same years.

The person doing the bidding was probably trying to find out the reserve price. I hope he thinks it's worth 1K. We all have to learn the hard way at times.

I'm not dispsraging The West Hurley I own one.

Frank

To be honest, instead of a repro I would buy a vintage violin/viola case and make something original, I don't really like the hard lines of the FBI cases. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want an original but if it was going to be a repro I'd want something different.

To be honest, instead of a repro I would buy a vintage violin/viola case and make something original, I don't really like the hard lines of the FBI cases. Doesn't mean I wouldn't want an original but if it was going to be a repro I'd want something different.

I don't want to derail the conversation, but I agree to an extent, although I still like the FBI cases. When we're talking about FBI cases being "original," we're talking about a few manufacturers who made them in the 1930's. They were not marketed by Auto-Ordnance in that timeframe, to my knowledge.

Helmer had a case for his 1921A that he made himself out of a tenor saxophone case. It also has a place to store an M1911. The case is now owned by another member here on the board, and I've posted photos of it previously, but don't have them handy. Anyway, I kind of like the "homegrown" cases, as well.

If you want a great case made today, contact Greg Fox.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com