PPSH Gunsmith recommendations

MrBill

I just received a PPSH on a form 4.Took the gun to the range and fired several stick mags through weapon.The semi switch is inoperable and when i went to open action,it was almost impossible to un hinge.I got action open and based on my very limited PPSH knowledge,bolt,recoil spring and guide rod looked okay. Now I can not get the receiver to go back together The upper receiver latch will not latch.Bill Berg's web page under troubleshooting identifies that a upper receiver can be bent or misaligned? What should i do? I PM ed and sent a email to AMAFRANK on this board but have not heard back. Any advice would be helpful.Seller told me Andrewski had tuned gun?

To convert a PPSh-41 to 9mm. you will need a magazine well adaptor to accept MP38/40 magazines, and, of course a Papasha 9mm, barrel. I.O. used to sell these conversion kits. They are not drop in no brainers.. Due to the variances in PPSh magwell tolerances, some fitting may be needed. The replacement 9mm. barrel also has to have a groove machined/ filed/ Dremeled in it to match the takedown pin and orient the feed ramp at 06:00.That's all that is needed. The Wehrmacht converted many captured 41's on the Eastern front in this manner. Years ago, I converted a Chinese Type 50 to fire 9mm. with an I.O. kit and it was a much more pleasant SMG to fire in 9mm.I still have a spare conversion kit if you are interested, but the only downside to this conversion is that MP40 magazines are rather pricey these days. http://www.ppsh41.com/ppsh2.html

Edited by Zenithnadir

A word of warning!

I installed a 9mm barrel and IO chiny MP40 mag adapter which had to be fitted, fired off one mag with no problem, tried next mag and had an out of battery detonation on 2nd round! Thank goodness no damage except my pride. 9mm doesn.t feed as smooth as bottle necked 7.62X25. Read zenithnadirs info sheet at bottom of his post.

took adapter and barrel out, don't want to sell cause I believe it to be unsafe.

If you need surplus ammo, I've got some to spare.

BPinFL

Bp When you had the out of battery mishap what mag were you using? I have read that people use the ppsh stick mag with the 9mm. I have a adapter i picked up at the SAR quite a while ago that uses straight mp38 mags. I know the nazis converted thousands of these burb guns to 9mm.But i do not want to screw this gun up They have become too expensive.

I was using MP40 and MP41 mags that work fine in my MP40. Didn't try the PPSH mags.

Maybe the conversion barrel could have the chamber opened up a bit or improve the feed ramp?

Its the location of the top of receiver ejection port that bothers me being so close to my face and eyeballs!

Have had to pick bits of brass out of my face and hands from out of battery discharges in the past. Nothing serious, but still scary.

BP

• 4 weeks later...

I just received a PPSH on a form 4.Took the gun to the range and fired several stick mags through weapon.The semi switch is inoperable and when i went to open action,it was almost impossible to un hinge.I got action open and based on my very limited PPSH knowledge,bolt,recoil spring and guide rod looked okay. Now I can not get the receiver to go back together The upper receiver latch will not latch.Bill Berg's web page under troubleshooting identifies that a upper receiver can be bent or misaligned? What should i do? I PM ed and sent a email to AMAFRANK on this board but have not heard back. Any advice would be helpful.Seller told me Andrewski had tuned gun?

Will the gun shut with the bolt assy and spring left out of the gun? If not make sure the rear cap can slide all the way forward enough for the catch to drop into the lower housing so it can latch. Sometimes people bend and tweak this latch to make it lock up tighter. My gun was very loose here and I got another rear cap and welded some more material on the catch and then kept filing it until it fit tight. Tight fit between the upper and lower are key to making the gun work great. If they are loose the bolt can jump the sear or can jam up because the bolt isnt staying in line and will miss feed or the empties jam.

As far as the 9mm conversion I have one in mine for about 10 years. I have had a handful of out of batteries but I think most seemed to be based on the condition of the extractor and bolt assembly. when they get worn, the bullet seems to fall into place too soon and fire before fully seated. I would replace the bolt and the issue would go away for some time. Just be careful if it happens as usually the bullet fails to clear the barrel. Drums and the soviet stick mags also work with the 9mm setup. As the others above stated the kit needs some work to fit the barrel and adapter to the receiver but its not difficult just takes time and patience. They are a fun gun to have and the conversion makes shooting much cheaper..at least it used to be.