Are Spare M2 Parts Legal?

If you legally posess an M2 Carbine and also have a couple of M1 Carbines, is it ok to have extra M2 parts? I see them on gunbroker all the time and would like to have a few spares around.

MLV

Mike,

You must be careful with M2 Carbine parts. It is one of the few guns that BATF has a list of parts (7 I think) that would constitute a machinegun if posessed together. I'm away from my books at the moment but there are several parts that are only used on the M2. The selector switch, the selector spring, the disconnector bar and there might be one other. A lot of the internal parts work on either M1 or M2 and are often found randomly in each type gun. The sear, trigger housing, slide come to mind. I'll be nearer my reference material this weekend. In the meantime, there is a great Carbine forum at www.jouster.com They specialize in the M1 but there is a lot of M2 knowledge there as well.

Bob D

If you have an M2, you can have the spare parts. If you do not have a M2 then you are trying to build a machinegun in the evil eye of the BIG BROTHA.

And there are 7 parts to the M2. Selector, lever, and a bunch of springs. I know I missed a parts, but you get the idea.

If you have an M2, you can have the spare parts. If you do not have a M2 then you are trying to build a machinegun in the evil eye of the BIG BROTHA.

And there are 7 parts to the M2. Selector, lever, and a bunch of springs. I know I missed a parts, but you get the idea.

Thanks. That's great. I do have an M2 and I'm kind of anal about having spare parts for stuff.

Mike V.

Mike V

Whether you own an M2 carbine or not the posession of the following parts is considered "having an unregistered machinegun".

M2 selector lever

M2 selector lever spring

Disconnector lever assembly

M2 disconnector

Disconnector spring

Cisconnector plunger

M2 hammer

This info can be found in

ATF publication 5320.8 dated June 2007 http://www.atf.gov/docs/Identification_of_Firearms_pt1.pdf

I got this from the CSP carbine forum.

Be careful

Bob D