Inland M2 original

wwl

They are out there, the M-2 carbine is not the most popular Class 3 firearm. I think it is under rated and valued. The key to them running right is the quality of the magazines, good USGI 30 round mags will keep stopages down.

It is not a fancy piece like a MP-5, nor as flexible as a M-16 (lots of ways to customize one); but it is a very reasonable priced piece of WW-II history. With BARs, Grease Guns, Thompsons, 1919s all in the mid-teens and up, you can get into a C&R M-2 in the $7,500 area. Ammunition is the draw back, .30cal carbine is more expensive than 223, 9mm, or 45.

Reising ($5 to $6 K) versus M-2 - I would take the M-2

Thompson ($15 to $26K for a C&R) versus a M-2 - I would take the Thompson

S&W 76 versus a M-2 - toss-up

Madsen versus a M-2 - I would take the M-2

MAC M-10 or M11 versus a M-2 - I would take the M-2

STEN versus a M-2 - toss-up

MP-40 (tube or C&R) - toss-up

The M-2 would not be my only Class 3 piece, but is on my bucket list. Not sexie, but really nice in my opinion. When you look at what is still priced at under $10K in the Class 3, it is under valued. MACs have no history, STENs Tube guns many times have issues (Real British C&R guns or a DLO would be the way to go), S&W 76 mags and spare parts are expensive, same for Reisings.

Nothing says SMG like a Thompson or a MP-40, but they cost almost double a M-2.

C&R M-2 means basically looking for a pre-1945 Inland, there are a few Winchesters (I think) but I have not seen any that are real nice. Usually can find the range of Inland M-2s, with original barrels to rebuilt mix-masters.

Enjoy

Paul

IMHO...I agree...The M2 carbine is under valued and under rated. I can't remember the last WWII M2 marked carbine for sale as far as price range. The The M1 marked full auto carbines are very reasonably priced. Spare parts are plentiful and low cost. Good quality mags are a must. The ammunition is not that common, so the price is higher. But the cartridge is simple to reload at a low cost.

Edited by timkel

that said, the M2 is a cool little gun. I have 2, a Winchester M2 overstamp and an Inland M2 Presample. As noted mags are important. I have about 10 30 rd USGI mags, Mostly Seymore. the aftermarket ones are spotty, there is a lot written on them. Some work well, some dont. If guys want, I can forward the articles describing the different types. One important fact to your hunt is that there are a lot of "converted M1 to M2" guns that are in fact C&R. We had a group of about 20-30 here in MN. These were converted by US GOV and or LEA armorers and owned/ registered in the amnesty by a fairly large City PD. (done for potential riots in the late 60s....) Later sold off to individual officers, these have transferred as C&R . BATF considers a lot of original conversions to be C&R, I have had a couple through my books over the years. You need to be very diligent on paperwork if you are after an original Inland M2. There are a lot of conversions done Pre- 1986, and a lot were re-marked. Springfield Armory inc. did a BIG run of M2s and sold them pretty reasonably. They will not transfer as C&R.

http://photos.imageevent.com/blinde/weponscollection/websize/DSC07287.JPG

• Upvote 1

I have one. As noted asking seems to be in the 8K range and the few I've seen for sale over the years sold pretty fast. Real transferable M2 marked inlands or winchesters are actually pretty scarce and are mostly for the advanced collector crowd, thus they tend to stay in collections a lot longer than commodity type carbines such as registered parts, overstamps, and plainfields. I think it took 3 plus years for one to show up before I bought that and sold my plainfield. I've had it 10 years and the previous owner had it at least 15, and neither one of us has shot it so far. I shot the plainfield though and it ran well contrary to internet folklore. Ser # 7,141,xxx. Form 4 signed and sent 9/17/03 approved 10/29/03, now that's rare!!

I think that $7500 for an original M2 is too low. When I bought mine many years ago a guy had one for sale several days later for $8000 and he said that it sold within minutes. I saw one for $13,000 sell a year or so ago within a few days. If an M1/M2 that is C&R is O.K. for you then yes, $7500 is a good number.

It was my opinion when i first asked the question about an original factory marked Inland M2 that it would be somewhat difficult to find. My understanding was that because Inland made M2s late in the war after Germany surrendered that most of the M2s went to the Pacific Theater and/or Lend Lease. Thus I assumed a low survival here in the U.S.