Identification of my early drums and an idea of value/ UPDATED

I have 5 early L drums and would like members view of ID and value for these as I am giving consideration to selling them

None are rusty or pitted and 1,2,3 all have unmolested original blued rotors, 4,5 with nickled rotors

Thanks for any help

post-226-0-21331000-1535564299_thumb.jpeg

post-226-0-11807700-1535564320_thumb.jpeg

post-226-0-96875000-1535564333_thumb.jpeg

post-226-0-76308800-1535564355_thumb.jpeg

Edited by hughlong

If the 5 drums have blued rotors then they cannot be the first generation of the Worcester Pressed Steel L drum. I do not see any drain slots on the face plates so that eliminates the fourth generation WPS drums. Drums #2 and #3 look like WPS second generation drums. I am thinking, but far from sure, that drums #1, #4 and #5 have mis-matched WPS generation covers and drum bodies. That said, let's see what Roger and all the other drum experts on the Board have to say.

Thanks for sharing!

Some of the pics aren't real clear, but I'll give my best shot at analyzing what you have posted.

Drum #1 is a Frankendrum. The cover and body both appear to be a first gen Worcester drum (aka standard NY drum), but since you say the rotor is blued, that is not correct. All first gen Worcester drums have nickel/silver rotors. The winding key is also not correct. It is a WWII Crosby key. Those are the only keys that have the rivets reversed. It is also the wrong finish for a Worcester key.

Drum #2 is a second gen Worcester that looks all correct from what I can see.

Drum #3 is also a second gen Worcester, but something looks a little strange about the finish of the body/back faceplate. Perhaps it is just the lighting.

Drums #4 and #5 both appear to be complete first gen Worcester drums, but as mentioned above, they have the wrong rotor if it is blued. Both should have nickel/silver rotors.

Worcester drums have been going up in price in the past year. Original first gen Worcesters with the correct rotor typically sell for $1200-1500, but some have gone as high as $2500. Second gen Worcesters are a little harder to peg because they don't come up for sale as often. They are also not as sought after because they lack the nickel/silver rotor, but they are still correct for any Colt gun because they are from the late 20's to early 30's. I would say a reasonable value is probably $700-1000, depending on condition.

FWIW

Roger

Hughlong,

You might want to check out this thread regarding the outside markings on front and back of Stanley Works L Drum 2nd version and the Worcester L Drum first generation. drum. Replaceable items like rotors and keys can not be relied on for identification of the actual covers manufacturer.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20168

Update:

Found correct key for drum#1 but it still has a blued rotor

Drums #4 and #5 actually have nickled rotors but rotors are somewhat browned but look like they will clean up

#4 rotor looks to have been restaked

It is a common occurrence mistaking browned, dirty or dark nickel or bright rotors for blued rotors. Please post pictures of the rotors so potential buyers can see the complete product.

Thanks!

Regarding values on what as near as I can tell are drums that the pinned Magazine Reference Guide calls New York Address 3rd Model L drums, a couple GunBroker ads from July sales are GunBroker Item Nos. 77017149 and 779347638.

That said, in the March/April time frame (GB ads no longer available for viewing), a couple same model, similar condition (to my uneducated eye) drums went on BIN purchases for $2,500 and $2,600.

So, like many GunBroker (and any auction for that matter) sales, just depends on who's buying and how much they're willing to spend to get what they want.

Best of luck. MP

Regarding values on what as near as I can tell are drums that the pinned Magazine Reference Guide calls New York Address 3rd Model L drums, a couple GunBroker ads from July sales are GunBroker Item Nos. 77017149 and 779347638.

That said, in the March/April time frame (GB ads no longer available for viewing), a couple same model, similar condition (to my uneducated eye) drums went on BIN purchases for $2,500 and $2,600.

So, like many GunBroker (and any auction for that matter) sales, just depends on who's buying and how much they're willing to spend to get what they want.

Best of luck. MP

merry ploughboy,

please correct the auction number of 77017149.. it should have 9 digits!!

Best of luck. MP

merry ploughboy,

please correct the auction number of 77017149.. it should have 9 digits!!

Sorry, 779171429 should work - couldn't read my smudged notes. MP

I don't think these auctions are completely representative of the prices for these drums. These particular auctions had a description that didn't show up when using typical search terms. Therefore, I do not believe the bidders pool was as large as some similar auctions. Yes, the bidding was spirited, but it was among a rather small pool of bidders.

FWIW

Roger

I don't think these auctions are completely representative of the prices for these drums. These particular auctions had a description that didn't show up when using typical search terms. Therefore, I do not believe the bidders pool was as large as some similar auctions. Yes, the bidding was spirited, but it was among a rather small pool of bidders.

FWIW

Roger

I'm inclined to agree that the two July auctions went for rather low prices. As another price point, Doug Richardson has a couple similarly described drums listed for sale on his website at $2,500 each.

MHO, YMMV, etc. MP