Got Some Mags From Northridge.........

Bought two 5 packs of new mags with pouch from Northridge and I'm curious what they are sealed in. It looks like a redish brown wax type of stuff the 5 mags were dipped into. Is that how the military did it or is that some aftermarket thing? Kinda like it for storage reasons but I'm sorta curious.

Also, the pouches are alot bigger than I expected. The tommy mags fit just fine (although quite loosely) but there is enough room to also fit M-14 or G3 mags. Could I have gotten the wrong pouches? Sorta figured the pouches would more closely fit the tommy mags.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the waxy wrapping similar to old masking tape. This was a staple for preserving stuff. The paper wrapping went on, then the whole thing was dipped in cosmoline to prevent rust. Ihave seen it on military suprlus and civilian, so either both came from the same source, or both use the same stuff to wrap.

What's the condition of the mags now. Last I heard they were pretty good. I was thinking of getting in an order.

QUOTE (Sgt @ May 14 2004, 07:02 PM)
What's the condition of the mags now. Last I heard they were pretty good. I was thinking of getting in an order.

Haven't opened either of the sealed 5 packs. Figured I probaby wouldn't any time soon either as they were purchased as back ups for years down the road. The tommy deal I've had going came with a dozen mags and a drum so I figured I'm O.K. on shooter mags for now. I know some on this board have posted they are in NIW condition.