Are Removable Stocks Legal On Non Sbr's

I am in the process of getting a Tax Stamp to SBR a Kahr 1927A1 with a 16.5" barrel. In the mean time I wanted to change out or modify the frame so I can use an original "detachable stock". Since it still has it's 16.5" barrel and the overall length without the stock is over 26" (29.5" to be exact), can I install the removable stock and still be legal?

MadDog http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif

MadDogDan,

As far as I know,

you are 100% Federally legal.

Zamm

Check your local regs as well - to wit:

"Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222 Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively. Attorney General’s opinion #6280."

MP

I'd surely check with my local PD or DA regardless of where I lived. I believe the Michigan law (rather oddly stated) means that under 26" is an SBR (not legal in MI unless it's a C&R) and between 26" and 30" the gun has to be registered as a pistol even if it is a rifle with longer than 16" barrel. I would not stake spending time in an ass-poundin' state pen by arguing that the stock is removable, not folding.

MHO, YMMV, TEHO, etc.

MP