Sheriff Changed His Mind About Sign Off

Well here I sit.. I have my paperwork all ready to go.. all my fingerprints done and the Sheriff now says that he thinks I have to have a "Collector's License" from the Feds to own a NFA weapon.. *sighs..*.. I know he'll find out he's just not "up" on the new revisions of SC State law but .. it's just another delay.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

Oh well it should make the next two transfers go smoother once he finds out......I hope.

Yup.. since Sept of 2001. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Is It Legal to Own an NFA (Class III) Weapon in South Carolina?

Yes it is! See S.488

S*0488 (Rat#0106, Act#0106)

General Bill, By Ryberg

Similar H.3744

Signed By Governor 09/21/01

Effective date 09/21/01 09/27/01

Copies available 11/15/01

Act No. 106

The provisions of this article do not apply to a manufacturer of machine guns or military firearms licensed pursuant to the provisions of 18 USC 921 et seq., a person authorized to possess these weapons by the United States Department of the Treasury, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, or any other federal agency empowered to grant this authorization, a common or contract carrier transporting or shipping any machine gun or military firearm to or from the manufacturer if the transportation or shipment is not prohibited by federal law, or persons licensed pursuant to Section 23-31-370.

Time effective

SECTION 2.

This act takes effect upon approval by the Governor.

Ratified the 5th day of June, 2001.

Approved the 21st day of September, 2001.

Proof of Being Legal - SLED's answer to S.488

The fax page below, shows that SLED recognizes all civilians (according to the new state law S.488) that have been approved by the BATF to own or possess machine guns, sawed-off shotguns and rifles, and AOWs are legal.

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/Hawkeye/SLEDFaxP2.gif

Incorporate and get a C&R for your corporation and tell the Sherriff you will no longer be bothering him on signoffs since you are going to be buying lots of silencers and sawed off shoguns and registered mortars and cannons. After all there is no point in bothering him with all that technical stuff anyway, his job is to stop criminals.

Hawkeye--

I'm not up on your state laws, but looks like you have some accurate information about the law. Couldn't you just show this to the Sheriff and maybe he'll see the error of his ways.

Hawkeye,

If it is legal in your state, then you have the bligation to educate the sheriff of the facts concerning this. His job is to UPHOLD AND ENFORCE the law, not impede it. If any one of us stood in the way of a law and went before a judge to show cause, we'd lose. Remember though, we win by influencing, not coercion (unlike some people in Washington who shall remain nameless). By putting it to him (or her) as a fact, and stating you are trying to comply with the law, you win.

It's awful hard to believe that the state which stood for states' rights and individual freedom could allow somebody to come into office who would oppose legal posession when the law of the state and the land supports it.

John

The Sheriff is not anti-gun.. nor is he opposed to signing...but he was under the assumption that I had to be a "Licenced Collector" to legally obtain a NFA weapon. He wants to be sure of what he is signing...I can't fault him on that..... He has contacted the state bureau and will find out I am legally entitled to possess such a weapon. I also posted these laws to him in an e-mail this afternoon after our meeting. I hope to hear from him tomorrow to come back over and get my papers signed. He even reminiced about taking out the two Thompsons that the local PD had back when he was in SLED (State Bureau) and cleaning and oiling them lovingly...he couldn't remember what models they were .. but he had that "Thompson love" look in his eye while talking about them.. and a real look of disgust that they had been sold off to a collector for a very little by an earlier Sheriff who wanted to be rid of them.

So, Hawkeye, when the Sheriff finishes his research and finally does the signoff, I think you should definitely consider making a sincere offer to take him out Tommygunning. He sounds like he's probably a good guy, would love the chance to get his hands on a Tommy again, and it's always *REAL* nice having the Sheriff as a friend http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Hawkeye, I've got friends in the Sheriff's Department here, and we did what you're planning, that is, we took my Tommy out to their training range. About half of the SWAT snipers showed up to shoot it, and they provided all the ammo! That was just one really great time! And I made a bunch of really cool new friends too!