New To Thompsons And Message Boards

Hello Everyone,

A few months back a buddy brought by his full-auto Thompson(that he was selling)and offered me the opportunity to shoot it. I went to the range with him and proceeded to have one heck of a time. That day I decided I needed to own one. Unfortunately Illinois is extremely "progressive" in their firearm laws and semi-auto is the only way I could go.

Needless to say I came across a West Hurley in excellent condition for $750 and bought it. The firearm seems to function fairly well aside from a couple jams .

I wanted to take this opportunity to say hello to the board and maybe get a few good recommendations as to what I should do next (upgrades, reading material, ammo recommendations, etc.)

I'm also curious about the vintage of my gun. The serial # is 22119.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

downtogether,

Welcome to the board.

Congrats on the new gun. You can do a lot with it (and still stay IL legal.)

A good web-site to look at is www.tommygunner.com The man who owns this web-site is also a board member.

I am sure others will direct you to other sources.

Norm

downtogether,

Welcome to the board. I'm also from Illinois and I've wanted a full auto 1928 for as long as I can remember, but Illinois firearm laws, being what they are, I also had to go with a West Hurley semi auto. I've had a lot done to it and I am pretty happy with it. Where in Illinois are you located? I'm in the west suburbs of Chicago and if you're interested, I could show you what I had done. Shoot me an e-mail.

Dave

I'm located in North Central Illinois, Ottawa, to be specific. Norm, did you hear Governor Rod is continuing to pursue a statewide "assault weapon ban". I think the November election is going to be very important.

I'm not very familiar with the full auto. I do know it was a 1928 and I believe he bought it new back in the mid 80's. When I shot it, he already had a buyer and was taking it out for one last hurrah.

Thanks for the links and info. I'm very glad an acquaintence told me about the board.

Matt

Glad to see you on here Matt, even if you didn't trade a lathe for my Semi.

Call me if you get a Southbend 16 x 30 w/ hardend bedways.

BB

Welcome to the board.... My first Thompson was also a West Hurlee 27A1... Paid the same $750 you did at a Reno gunshow a couple years back... Not a semiauto anymore though.... Maybe there is still hope that your state will see the light and allow F/A..... it just happened...... Or maybe a move in the future... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

http://mail.roadfly.com/z3bigdaddy/tommy%20stand.jpg

750 buck West Hurlee http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

Hello BB!! Thanks for steering me towards the board. I can see it's going to be a ton of help. I loved your gun but didn't have the money. I'll keep my eyes open for a

16" SB but it will be a tough order to fill. I'm in the process of acquiring a bunch of new 13x40 import gear heads w/ brakes, 1ph that one of my vendors is closing out.

If you have the time, check my website in the next couple of days and I should have a photo and info up.

Z3Bigdaddy, I don't think there is much hope for the state of Illinois. We are entirely governed by the little corner up in the northeast and Little Ritchie hates anything to do with personal freedoms like guns, GA airports, and smoking in public places(I don't like cigarette smoke but the city wide ban is ridiculous). The move is a great idea, now I just have to convince my wife.

downtogether,

If your state is about pass an AWB, you had better get the gun you want now. Even if you can only buy a WH/Kahr semi-auto, you should get one while you can.

Your gun would more than likely be grand-fathered.

I like it here in TN. Any NFA is allowed.

Norm

downtogether,

Welcome.

As others have stated, this is THE place for anything Thompson.

Check out the FAQ, you will get a host of info on pimping out that Westy.

Tommygunner has a website with all the upgrades available, and PK, also a bord member,

is an artist with retooling these puppies!

Enjoy!

Z

AWB Hell their trying to kick out Springfield Armory a bunch of other manufactures, one of which hapens to subcontract with my employer. Is it moraly wrong to hope your govener gets run down by a bus with faulty brakes made in china and installed by a mexician without green card. It would be poetic justice. Our govener is throwing out manufacturing and promising health care. Where does the STUPID SOB think taxpayers get their money from if not good paying manufacturing jobs. Seventeen year olds working at fast food jobs don't earn squat and can't pay atention let alone his salrey.

BB http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/soapbox.gif

Sorry, had to to bad mouth Bastardlavich, Moral imperitave.

BB