Drum Disassembly

Kevin

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish with taking a drum apart. I would bet most board members here would shudder to even think about it. If broken most would send it off to a qualified smith such as Merle. I know I would not try.

my 2 cents.

michael

I agree with SIG. You won't need to dis-assemble your drum unless something is broken. There really isn't anything that most can do to one. If it's broken, I would send it to Merle the drum doctor and have it fixed.

You can not disassemble the rotor cage to get at the main spring, if that is what you are thinking; the assembly is staked in place. Once the staking is disturbed, it doesn’t go back securely. Merle is the only guy currently who gets into these. He reassembles by welding special parts to the rotor and cage, allowing them to be screwed together.

You can remove the rotor assy from the body by simply removing the retainer from the rotor shaft by lifting it’s tail out of the notch in the back of the body and pulling it sideways.

I wanted to take the rotor out to clean up some burrs and to take the top off of the two rivets. Now I can count clicks and maybe help the feeding. It's much easier to work on the rotor with it out of the drum. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Kevin