M3 Grease Gun in it's original shipping box found in France

Interesting indeed.

I remember seeing a similar if not the exact same packaging with a new looking Grease gun several years ago on a TV show. It could’ve been 10 years ago or so, And I don’t remember which program. It might have been ‘Tales of the Gun’ or some similar series. They were inside a museum or government facility and they pulled it out of a storage cabinet.

I do not recall seeing any printing on the box, but it was that color and size, and the barrel was separate.

“If that's how the M3s looked right out of the factory, I'd say sandblasted and hot blued would be correct.

This could mean that a parkerized finish equals a rebuilt gun.”

While some oxidation of the finish would clearly occur to change it’s color since manufacture and packing, the preservative paper and lack of exposue to petroleum products woul probably protect the finish on the gun from going “green”or darkening. It doesn’t look at all fo be a blued finish to me, but aged gray park. Park would certainly be the production finish of the M3s.

Interesting indeed.

I remember seeing a similar if not the exact same packaging with a new looking Grease gun several years ago on a TV show. It could’ve been 10 years ago or so, And I don’t remember which program. It might have been ‘Tales of the Gun’ or some similar series. They were inside a museum or government facility and they pulled it out of a storage cabinet.

I do not recall seeing any printing on the box, but it was that color and size, and the barrel was separate.

That TV show was featuring Anniston Arsenal where they do have NEW in the box grease guns and BARs etc.

Agree, it's original parkerized finish, the lighting may also play a part in making it appear darker. I saw a new in box GG like this about 6-7 years ago for sale. I think they were asking something like 25-28K for it but my memory on the price is kind of hazy.

MH

The serial number is in the 204,000 range. THat is either in or just above the big batch of lend lease grease guns that went to the British. Does anyone own any of the guns near that number? Are they US or Brit guns? Mine is 186,000 and certainly a Brit modified gun.

Dan

This one was sold for 2.000 euros

How do you recognize a Brit Gun ? What did they modify ? (magazine catch?)

My M3, serial number 1908XX, came with British proof marks on the barrel. The entire gun has an old black paint finish. I see no evidence of any modification around the mag release button.

This one was sold for 2.000 euros

How do you recognize a Brit Gun ? What did they modify ? (magazine catch?)

My M3, serial number 1908XX, came with British proof marks on the barrel. The entire gun has an old black paint finish. I see no evidence of any modification around the mag release button.

I think that British proof marks just mean that it passed through Britain at some time in its life. The magazine catch modification by the Brits was the welding of a hoop style guard over the magazine release. Even if they are not present, you can usually see some evidence of the welding. The black paint could be just a postwar cheap refinish by an importer. I have seen three MP40s and an MG34 with that same black paint finish.

Dan