Finish Grading

OK in my never ending quest to get a real feel how to grade our prized possessions I thought I would post a few pictures from the J.C. Devine Auction. J.C. Devine rates these Colt's as 95% for #1513 and an astounding 99% for #2101.

So class for your POP quiz how would you rate each, sorry these are the best pics I have.

J.C. Devine page one where #1513 is

J.C. Devine page two where #2101 is

Sig,

You are going to have to resize the pictures for easier viewing. Either make the pixel dimensions smaller or change the resolution so that they are able to be viewed without the scroll bar.

It will make for a more pleasing post.

well for what i can make out between 85% to a good 90%

i grade overall as well as each spot,like internal's wood,blue,patina rust non-original parts...i once started a grading guide about five years ago.was going to post it,but alot of dealers and collector's said it was too hard to follow...........{the few i talked to about it}since the things they graded was less then what my guide showed>{GOD forbid that happen}

because i went into the detail of the gun too much...>instead of the all current ad's.you read nowadays>> 99% gun n.r.a.grades.......the best i have seen!!! hype!!!

if you bought a{ rk.arms} 99% gun you got it.....however i did sell a overall 98%.21ac to a fella once..........for $12,000.00{five years ago> he said his buddies called it 97%

i asked him to define that 1% for me........or how many thompsons his buddy or him saw and owned over the years...............???{good question}

he just got mad!!! i told him i will take it back.......{he replied no thanks i will keep it}>smug bassturd!!!wink!! i think now he want's over $20,000 for it..........WOW that 1% less grade jumped the price $8,000.00 wink!!

it's real hard to grade if you only saw a few to compare it to................but what the heck do i know????

ron

It is better to go the Devine website to make a determination. I have seen some sellers skip the overall condition report and just report that their gun (not talking about NFA guns) may not have ever been fired, other than proof testing, for 20 years, or 80 years, but that doesn't mean that the finish is 100%. Sometimes a gun can be in too good a condition for its own intended purpose of being fired. But with prices at what they are now, how can one rationalize firing many drums through a 98% Colt TSMG, (if one even exists today), when any new loss of bluing, or an additonal scratch, can mean a ding of thousands off the value of the gun?

Apparently my image posting skills need work!

Sorry guys I just have not learned the techniques.

I modified the post to provide links to the J.C. Devine site instead.

I am still curious what everyones opinions on the finish grading are.

I could only speculate at this point.

QUOTE (Sig @ Feb 21 2004, 03:39 PM)
Apparently my image posting skills need work!
Sorry guys I just have not learned the techniques.
I modified the post to provide links to the J.C. Devine site instead.

I am still curious what everyones opinions on the finish grading are.
I could only speculate at this point.

well you got mr.respects opinion...........and that is my final answer do i win the million regis????

ron out of respect for this post!!!

Taking an honest, but untrained assessment, and taking human nature (the 'hype factor') into consideration, I would say more like 89% and 94%, respectively. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

Well from looking at the pictures bets I could, I would say most guns are in the 85% range. Of course the pics could have some lighting and makeup work to make those look purdy. I just can't believe somebody would pay $35k for a $10k gun.

QUOTE (John Jr @ Feb 22 2004, 07:38 PM)
http://www.jcdevine.com/images/auction_2401/Class%20III%20Items/3-10%20LS%20AO_sm.jpg

DEVINE lists this gun as a colt. Idiot.

JR

j.jr. you know when it went to the depot they retrofitted it with better looking part's...they wanted the finish to match...................

and personally i really don't care what they sell for anyhow..........all i wanted was the goldfinger model.....for my display......at the next s.a.r.show..........

i guess i will replace it with a m.g.c. ron