Magazine Repair Tools

Does anyone have a set of Sten mag feed lip repair tools that they would be willing to lend or rent?

I have some Lanchester mags that just aren't feeding reliably and my lip gauge shows the cartridge angle is off and at least one of them the lips are a bit out of spec.

PM me if you can help.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also be interested in feed lip repair tools.

I did see where a forum member in the Thompson forum manufactured a lip repair tool. Maybe he could do likewise for Sten mags?

The trick is latching onto an exemplar to copy. The Sten mag is not at all like the TSMG. Aside from being the dreaded double stack-single feed configuration it also presents the bullet at an angle rather than flat.

The original Brit tool is a two piece afair. There's a mandrel that goes inside the magazine body and a form tool shaped like an inverted V that is hammered down onto the magazine and sets the tapered front to rear gap and the presentation angle

This is a photo of the British gauge used to check Sten Magazines:

(Note: Photos that I was trying to post were from one of the articles that Frank-Iannamico published in SAR-Magazine some time ago. They show the British Gauges and the feed-lip adjusting-tools that were used. The photos are still there.....I just can not figure out how to post them or a link to then.......).

Regards, RichardS

US Army, RET

Edited by Blanksguy

StrangeRanger,

You are correct on availability of these.

I know that BRP-Corp has some original "Sten-Magazine-Gauges" in stock in good-condition.

I cannot locate anyone with original and/or reproduction "adjusting-tools).....(IE: The 2-pcs. set.).

Regards, RichardS

US Army, RET

Edited by Blanksguy

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, we need some retired machinist Forum member to get to work and make us some feed lip repair/alignment tools for the Sten mag!

That was sort of my plan but we need to get a hold of a set first to get accurate dimensions

Edit:

For that matter a set of drawings would be quicker and more accurate than field measurements. Do any of our British or Canadian members happen to have or have access to a set?

Edited by StrangeRanger

• 3 weeks later...

I have the upper concave piece. I can have my friend, who is a machinist, make a drawing showing the critical dimensions.

Being new to this site with not alot of general knowledge,you hsve have to tell me how we get in contact

• 2 weeks later...

The drawing I made of the mandrel is being verified by a machinist/gunsmith.

The drawing of the upper will be verified once we've made one and used it to adjust my mags

Once that is done I will offer the drawings for free to anyone on this site

Before you decide you need a set you should read this thread, especially Peter Laidler's comments

https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=76769&p=517416#post517416

I have a rough drawing of the upper part. I will be glad to send it to anyone who can tell me how to do so.

From direct observations this piece has subtle complexity. For example the radii across the concavity are different, i.e. 5/16 and 17/64.

Phaet,

Please check the dimension I asked you about in the e-mail that I sent you before you send out copies of the sketch

If the dimension is in error someone could make a costly mistake by following the sketch

Edited by StrangeRanger

• 3 months later...

The gunsmith has verified the dimensions on my drawing of the upper "hammer" which were slightly different from Phaet's sketch but has not gotten around to verifying the lower "mandrel"

The hammer is actually the more critical part. All the mandrel does is keep the hammer centered and prevent you from moving the lips too far. By proceeding very carefully, I was able to fix 3 recalcitrant mags using just Phaet's hammer

The gunsmith has verified the dimensions on my drawing of the upper "hammer" which were slightly different from Phaet's sketch but has not gotten around to verifying the lower "mandrel"

The hammer is actually the more critical part. All the mandrel does is keep the hammer centered and prevent you from moving the lips too far. By proceeding very carefully, I was able to fix 3 recalcitrant mags using just Phaet's hammer

Thats fantastic!!! If sets are ever sold or loaned. Please let me know. Thank you sir.