39 Round Drum ( Auto Ordnance, West Hurley)

A 50 rd drum used in a Model 1928 or 1928A1 would wind to 9 clicks. Model 1921 11 clicks. Not sure if a 39 rd is different though. Maybe someone who owns one could chime in. Todd in Oregon

Not familiar with this drum but I'd start with 8 clicks. Test fire and see how it runs. Increase one click at a time until consistently good. The less you use, the better for the drum. Light oil around spindle. Manually check rotor and tracks for smooth operation.

Bob D

I have a couple of these drums (wish I still had the box with instructions). I've always wound to 7 or 8 clicks which is when it starts getting tough to wind. Never had an issue and they have worked perfectly. Story I've heard was these were drums made for/by MGC replica toy Thompsons in Japan. Numerich Arms purchased them to sell with their replica 1927 guns. I have one void of all markings while the other has the Thompson logo and I believe Auto-Ordinance Corporation markings.

Thank you "BUG" "First Sergeant", and "Stampcollector.....you have answered my question. It is appreciated.

Bounty1

Bounty1- you are welcome!

These are only available on the used market i assume??

Petroleum 1- These "XL", I believe these drums came out in 1975. Not sure how long they were available.

What are these selling for now?

Full auto 45 - I bought mine 3yrs ago off of Gunbroker.com for I think $150.00 to $175.00, can't remember exactly how much I paid now.

* I bought mine just cause it was a West Hurley drum that was the match for my 1928 WH. Actually never used it. The new Taiwan "C" drums have West Hurley on them also, and is a nice addition for my early serial number 28 WH.*

Stampcollector is correct about the price. If looking to buy, first confirm that the spring is sound and that the fins that push the cartridges are all present (I recal there are four fins). I have seen several drums where the fins are broken off the rotor.

Since these drums were intended to feed toy cap guns, sometimes they have problems with live fire guns.

• 3 years later...