Which Pistol to Match a WW2 Thompson ?

I'd like a 45ACP pistol to go along with my M1A1 Tommy.

But which one to choose ?

So far my choices are a Colt 1911,preferably WW2 vintage, but they seem pricey.

Smith and Wesson 1917 Revolver.

Or a Colt 1917 revolver.

Any other options ?

Nice thing about a 1911A1 is that it eats the same food as a Tommy.

If you only want one, I'd do some research and find one with a date of manufacture as your M1A1.....same month and year.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Ithacas and Remington Rands, but like the 1911A1 Colts too.

I'd eat ramen noodles and rice cakes topped with peanut butter for a few months and get the WWII era 1911. Probably a Colt, but I wouldn't turn down a good deal on the other manufacturers. At least that was my plan back when I had an M1A1.

Best of luck, and enjoy whatever you decide to pursue.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

id pick a .50 Desert Eagle

as many will check you out at the range as they do for your Thompson

seriously id get a 1911....what ever shape your Thompson is in? get a 1911 in similar condition...no need to buy one that looks like new....

If you're not picky on condition Remington Rands can be as low as 700. Nice ones seem to be 1500'ish. I got one a couple years ago for $500, but it had a colt .22 upper on it so it was missing the original upper. Fixed all that and got a WW2 shoulder holster for it. On the flip side you could "spray parkerize" a Kimber and you'd be in with a nice shooter for 750 and I couldn't tell the difference! I had not though about the dates, but I should check into that for fun. The Remington is 1,796,xxx and the Thompson 745,000

Colt 1911, no question. Any fairly good military or civilian model. I like my WW 2 Augusta Arsenal rebuild, for the fact it was a rebuilt WW1 gun for WW2 and spans the entire Thompson era. They tend to be cheaper in price too because of all the "purest" Colt collectors out there that think these guns should be worth less for some reason.

Mike Hammer

You need to get a COLT .45 Single Action Revolver, with Ivory grips. They made and sold these, not sure the price on them. Would certainly make your M1A1 stand out at the Range. It was good enough for the "original owner"...

map-right-side-full-shot-1024x814.jpg

13PattonsThompsonSubmachineGun.jpg

Thompson Submachine Gun of General George S. Patton Jr.

Caliber: .45 ACP
Action: Blowback, full or semi auto
Muzzle Velocity: 920 fps
Range: 100 yards
Rate of Fire: 900 rounds per minute
Magazine Capacity: 20 or 30 round magazine
Barrel Length: 10.5 inches
Overall Length: 32 inches
Weight: 11 lbs
Year Built: 1941
Cost: $225

General Patton had this particular Thompson Submachine Gun, which he owned, in his vehicle when he was in combat areas.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/769622229

I payed more than the Buy It Now price for mine, but it's in a little better condition.

Difficult to be sure from the photos, but isn't that some fine pitting under the finish around the rt. side slide stop hole?

Also, although the description says the frame feed ramp is polished (which would be correct), to me, it doesn't look polished.

Edited by mnshooter
  • Upvote 1

An m1a1 that shot 900 rpm is indeed special.

Well, it was built in 1941, so.....
The m1a1 I clocked was 629.99rpm. My thought was the military wanted 600 rpm so i assumed the m1/m1a1 fit that requirement as well as the 28. Plus i clocked a few and they were in the ball park of 600 rpm. If the m1/m1a1 was faster I guess I filled in the blanks incorrectly. Sorry to highjack the thread. Edited by ppgcowboy

The CMP is preparing to sell 1911A1's from the army's stock. Prices are pretty reasonable, but the guns are likely to have been rebuilt, etc. The better ones will be auctioned.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/1911-information/

Interesting but can they make it any more difficult ? ;)

Plus no C+R license accepted.

Edited by lightguy

Lightguy,

It depends. If you are an officer then you would want a M1911A1 to go with your TSMG.

If you are a private then any battlefield pickup would go with your TSMG.

What are you??????

Jim C

I got out as a Spec 4 :)

You have a M1A1 Thompson and are complaining about the price of a World War II Colt M1911A1?

Not to mention. They are only going up in price. Great place to park some money.

Eric

By far the predominant M1911A1 of WW2 was the Remington Rand. We think of Colt, but the numbers manufactured by Colt were small in comparison. I think a Remington Rand showing honest wear would make a great match to a WW2 TSMG.

Curl