New To Thompson

hello..just join this board....i'm new to thompson and just got a parts kit....m1a1...seems i recieved a mut parts kit....i've looked all over the net for "detailed" thompson parts descriptions...no luck....where can i find a detailed parts list of the m1a1? i need to see every single piece..from the muzzle to the buttstock plate!! can anyone help? all i find is poor detailed parts list that cover all the guns...like on the unofficial tommy site....i have a slide on and off type stock...my lower don't accept this type of stock...anyone have any advise? please email me at ibewolfer@NOSPAMaol.com remove NOSPAM....Thx

I know there is a diagram for the M1A1 out there as I have it printed out. Don't remember were I found it off hand though. The 28 diagram for the lower will tell you all you need, the only diferance between the 28 and the M1 is a cut for the drum and a detachable butstock. On the M1A1 you just take the two screws out to remove. The recever is simpler, just pull the buffer down and the pilot and spring go out the rear of the recever. pull the bolt half way back to the dismouth notch wiggle it and your free to pull bolt handle out and then take out the bolt.

If you try and use the skematics or diaagrams Numirich has you will be terminally confused.

BB

ok....so far this is what i have....a m1a1 parts kit with a perfect 28 slide on stock...whats thompson lowers bringing these days? i'm buying a couple more lowers from the same guy i got my parts from..one of the lowers is the 28 lower that goes with my stock...so i reckon that'll fix that problem...i know theres an apapter plate to put the slide on stock on the screw on stock type lower..but i'm not gonna cut and grind on any thompson parts....so if if i use a 28 lower on my m1a1 kit it will accept drums then? as far as i know the lowers are the same and interchangable besides the stock setup..am i right? will the m1a1 internals drop in the 28 lower? just the bolts differant aint it? fixed firing pin v/s floating pin? sorry..i'm learning the thompson..lol...never had one before..but do now...next problem i have is finding a few internals..i need a rocker and the m1a1 recoil setup...i have parts of the 28 recoil setup with my kit..which won't work....i could really use a good piviot plate too because mine is pitted and the springs are a little weak.....anyone have these parts they'll sell? i need a bolt handle also...and rear sight screws and a pistol grip screw and forearm screw also....Thx

Welcome to the boards! If you can't find it here, it's not available!

Check out gunpartscorp.com. They have a sidebar with a "schematic" link. It'll take you to their e-gun section where you'll be able to select from a multitude of guns....the Thompsons are there. From that menu you can go to several types of Auto-ordnance guns....M1 and M1A1 are near the bottom.

These are the exploded views from the manuals....a bit small and somewhat hard to see, but if you blow them up they should do nicely! And the parts list is right below the diagram!

Good luck!

john

If you use an adapter plate, the 28 stock will fit on an M1A1 trigger group. However be warned it will hang a good 1/2"+ lower than normal. If you really have to have a detachable stock have someone like PK mill the back of an M1A1 to accept it. You can lock a 28 trigger housing onto a M1 or vice versa, both will work but the rear ends will not match. a 28 on an M1 is mostly hidden but an M1 trigger housing on a 28 will be proud of the rear end. Both will function.

try

http:/nfatoys.com/tsmg/web/m1assy.htm

I have an eight page print out copyed out of TM 9-215 concerning the M1 and the last figure shows the internals of the trigger group. it shows field strippping and all the parts. Just click and save the pics and when you view them blow them up to 150% or so if they seem a little small to show enough detail.

The M1/M1A1 will NOT take drums, even if you use a 28 trigger housing. You used to be able to buy modified drums that were remanufactured to fit the M1 series but a stock M1 is not cut high enough to allow the drum to seat nor does it have the slots for the drum in the recever. Milling the slots and metal away is not condoned as the M1/M1A1 recever is thinner than the 21/28, see frequently asked questions...

BB