How Long Will I Need To Look?

I've just ventured into the Title II world and am patiently waiting for ATF approval on Uzi and Colt M16 transfers. My secret lust, however, is a WWII M1 or M1A1.

I know there are a few guns out there but with asking prices around $15k. How frequently do the M1/M1A1s pop up? Is it a case where there will always be guns for sale, allbeit, at a price maybe a few thousand above my target or... are they few and far between and $15k is the price it's going to take to join the club.? Thanks!

The guys here will tell you, 15k for M1 is too much.......I just put out $9500. for a 1928 w/Hurley(Hey,that's my name), and the old timers here said it was 1 to 1.5k too high. (plus $400. for two transfers)....So Kyle, you are thinking too high.....The M1 types seem to pop up more frequently than the others from my view. For example, I pushed away 3 local M1 type Tommies in 4 weeks looking for a 1928. I wanted the drum capability....These guys can tell you so much more..........Come to the next MG Shoot here, at Knob Creek Rg, Ky, and you will have choices, if early enough.........jw

Sure, 9k for a West Hurley M1(A1). But a WWII? Try about 11k~15k...todays cash. When Kyle is ready to buy, who knows? Up and up and up. That has been discussed here ad nauseum. Kyle, sell your Uzi (yuck) and that Colt thingy and buy what your heart desires!

Rust is right, but I was trying to be gentle......Sell the Uzi &16, and get that Thompson.............jw

We cannot be gentle. My God, man, it's a Thompson! JW is correct...

Ya, the Gorillas where using modified Madsen M50's for the sequel to POTA and M1 carbines too...

when i asked the dealer if it had the original finish, he said yes. i think i will call him and see if he can send pics.

this dealer also says he has a Thompson serial no. 40 (hell i don't know), says it is the earliest known surviving WWII thompson M1. i am sure he said M1 cause he said it was cut for a drum (which the 1928 is already cut for drum). he said the first few M1s were cut for the drum. i've never heard that, but i know nothing about thompsons.

Craig101,

I would be VERY careful concerning any M1 that was "cut for the drum". The M1 frame has a different profile than the 1928 frame. As I understand it, if you open up the M1 frame to take a drum, you will weaken it significantly. PK and others on this board can give you more details than I can, but proceed carefully!

I have never heard of any M1 Thompsons being set up for the drum by the factory. Quite the contrary, the M1 was specifically designed to use only the box magazines, so I see no reason for the factory to have tried to modify them for using a drum.