Photo
* * - - - 2 votes

M1928A1 Wood Storage Crates (Green Painted)

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 09:15 PM

Someone here posted pics many years ago of all these crates full of Thompson's in a cave or some such location in Russia, this all before the parts kits started to flow.
I believe I have a pic or two but probably archived here too.
I believe these were/are original shipping crates from Auto Ordnance circa WWII although not sure if they left the factory with green paint or bare wood.
The color looks like what was usually seen on Russian spam cans and gear and might be a bit more yellow/ lighter than USGI olive drab.

Anyone here know any more?
Recall those photos?
If not, I'll look and see what I have archived

John

#22 Motorcar

Motorcar

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 744 posts

Posted 01 September 2019 - 12:04 PM

Here you go;

http://www.machinegu...4523&hl=customs

#23 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Military history & martial arms.

Posted 02 September 2019 - 03:54 PM

Typically most foreign governments store their 2 line / reserve weapons in crates indoors at depots.
When they decide the guns are "surplus" to their needs they are tendered for sale.
The buyers (in this case US importers) will either ship the guns to the USA to a "bonded warehouse" or Free Trade Zone (FTZ) to be cut up / demilled and disassembled into parts kits.
The majority of importers pay to have the guns cut / demilled and disassembled overseas.
The method of shipping (usually dictated by the place/country they are coming from) weighs heavily on the decision to use the wooden crates the actual guns were stored in.  For example if using air freight the space and weight of wood crates makes it too costly to use them.
You can get more cut / demilled and disassembled guns into the original crate than they were built to hold since the receiver is now gone and its all just a lot of parts.
Since space is important that is why most crates show up minus the wood inserts UNLESS they were used to ship complete firearms.
All these guns have to be demilled to BATF imports branch guidance, ALL the parts to be imported have to be on the form 6 (listed by totals).
Its the job of the US Customs to inspect the shipment to ensure the BATF guidance is met and the parts are on the form 6 prior to the shipment being released to enter commerce in the USA.
I believe that US Customs also has to check that the wood has been fumigated?
In recent years there has been concerns about termites and other insects in shipments having wood pallets, crates etc.

I hope the above helps with the understanding why we do not see actual weapons crates very often.
Even when they do make it to the USA most importers don't have the space to store them, so they get used for storing something or they get disposed of.

Fortunately the importer of these Thompson crates took the parts out and stacked the crates in a storage spot with a roof, where they have sat ever since.
I just brought them all up to APEX along with a whole lot of other material.

Richard

#24 Kilroy

Kilroy

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:History - specially World War II, Shooting

Posted 03 September 2019 - 09:49 PM

Well Im a couple days late. Dorian has me running around like a chicken.... anyways. Ive been looking for one of these crates for six years or so. Id be interested for sure.

#25 Adg105200

Adg105200

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 848 posts
  • Interests:Ww2, Thompsons & many other guns, hunting, fishing, tools, woodworking

Posted 05 September 2019 - 11:40 AM

Always wanted one although I'm guessing they will be a little pricey as per their rarity. Doesn't sound like they will stick around long!

Andrew

#26 anjong-ni

anjong-ni

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:02 PM

As I understand it, the majority of the 90s parts-kits came up from Basra through Iran and were found in Ukraine. I guess I learned that here.

Are these then THE same crates that left Hartford and made the trip through Iran in 1942?...Phil

#27 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 05:21 PM

It has been a crazy week here!
I did finally manage to have a few pictures taken on the wood crates that we have for the M1 Thompson.
The 1928 crates are still black wrapped.

70313517_1594286324062369_52537032746362

70450850_1594286334062368_15274460973818

70503833_1594286300729038_44950694873131

I want to start to get these listed, but I will be travelling next week on another "buying" trip!

Richard

Edited by APEXgunparts, 06 September 2019 - 05:22 PM.

#28 Got Uzi

Got Uzi

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 840 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:24 PM

Im all for the M1 crate!!

#29 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 174 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 05:18 PM

I finally have all 4 types of Thompson crates listed.
They can be found in the "Thompson" category on the APEX Gun Parts web site.::

https://www.apexgunp...t_list_limit=56

The crates are basically for the M1928A1 and the M1922M1 (M1) .
I didn't know we have 2 size crates for each model of Thompson!
That observation came to light while we were listing them.
The best way to order these is by calling my Customer Service (due to the shipping)
Most selections only had 2 in stock, one of the M1928A1 selections is down to 5 remaining (I listed it first).

Richard

#30 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2555 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 26 September 2019 - 11:55 AM

http://www.machinegu...?showtopic=7160

I believe these crates were not made in the USA, but instead were produced by the Russians specifically to store TSMGs. Detailed lists of materiel provided under lend lease state that the TSMGs sent were part of vehicle equipment furnished two with each tank. Wish I could find the lists now, they were fascinating. 

#31 R67

R67

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 318 posts
  • Interests:WWII US Uniforms and Equipment, College girls, and Thompsons of course....

Posted 26 September 2019 - 12:29 PM

I am just sitting here waiting or the return of cheap M1928A1 parts kits. I am not a fan of 2k IMA kits. Maybe the day of the cheap russian parts kit will never come again. 

#32 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 September 2019 - 02:42 PM

http://www.machinegu...?showtopic=7160

I believe these crates were not made in the USA, but instead were produced by the Russians specifically to store TSMGs. Detailed lists of materiel provided under lend lease state that the TSMGs sent were part of vehicle equipment furnished two with each tank. Wish I could find the lists now, they were fascinating. 

The USA did provide all the OVM and small arms normally associated with each vehicle that was supplied to the Allies thru the "Lend Lease" program.
I was in Germany when the French Gov't was returning to the US Army the Half tracks they had received and each one had all the associated material crated up inside.
However, there is evidence that the Russians were supplied Thompson's at their request.
The one document I read related how the Russians were offered to be supplied with STEN guns and they (the Russians) clearly stated they preferred Thompson's.
You cannot fault their logic on that choice!

My thanks to the customers who have been buying these Thompson crates.
As I write this my people are wrapping and placing 4 on a pallet for the the gent who wanted one of each.

Richard

#33 Frank Iannamico

Frank Iannamico

Website Founder & Industry Expert

• 1250 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 07:59 AM

I was at an importers when the Thompson kits came in and picked up one of the 1928 marked crates. The importer told me that the crates were Russian made, he could tell by the latches and hinges used in their construction. He had a lot of very similar crates that Mosin Nagant rifles were shipped in. He had so many of the crates he had to burn them to make room. 

Still, a cool piece of Thompson history.

#34 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2555 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 27 September 2019 - 04:30 PM

Original Thompson M1 factory shipping crates. Each held ten guns and was unpainted. They look very different than the Russian made crates. 

Attached Files

#35 anjong-ni

anjong-ni

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 374 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for the photos, TSMGguy. These then are the crates that would have crossed the seas in the convoy ships.

I see they're made like I would make a "crate". No dovetails, biscuit-joints, metal corners, velvet interior, handles or paint.

Wood, nails, two bent hinges and a hasp.

Could you show a picture of the interior?...Phil

#36 rpbcps

rpbcps

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 711 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 06:18 PM

I have just tracked down one of those Russian 1928A1 case here in the UK, so I am going to grab that while I can, but it does not have any of the wooden inserts / dividers though.

Could I therefore impose upon someone, who has a 1928A1 case with the inserts / dividers, to do me a favor and trace the design and let me have a scan of it, so I can get them made up and added to the case?

Thanks in advance.

Richard 

#37 glen1005

glen1005

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 09:09 PM

I would also be interested in obtaining a copy of these inserts/ dividers.  Thanks, Glen

#38 rpbcps

rpbcps

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 711 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:15 PM

I have just tracked down one of those Russian 1928A1 case here in the UK, so I am going to grab that while I can, but it does not have any of the wooden inserts / dividers though.

Could I therefore impose upon someone, who has a 1928A1 case with the inserts / dividers, to do me a favor and trace the design and let me have a scan of it, so I can get them made up and added to the case?

Thanks in advance.

Richard 

Bringing this topic back to the top, in the hope someone can assist Glen and myself with a 'trace & scan' ( template)

Richard

#39 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 719 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 05:18 PM

Me too....had a set but lost them.
Have both smaller crates and one larger crate about 3" wider than the others.
I can widen or shorten whatever I do get.

#40 APEXgunparts

APEXgunparts

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

APEX has a few Thompson crates in stock.
I didn't see many of the wood inserts, I think the one gent who purchased 3 crates received most of them.
Its rare that wood crates cross the ocean with the inserts as the importers want the interior space used for parts/surplus and the inserts take up space and add weight.

Richard