• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 reconbob

reconbob

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 2521 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 06:33 PM

I have mentioned this previously and figured I mention again. I have a customer who wants to

send a Thompson for work. He asked how to ship it and I told him registered mail was best and that

UPS did no accept machine guns and that FedEx would ship them but not cover for more than $1000.

I admitted i had not checked the fine print lately and for him to check on his own  He thought I was full

of hot air.

Well , the guy checked and it turns out that I was pretty much correct. UPS does not accept machine

guns - period.

FedEx will accept machine guns but will only cover them for $1000.

It seems that few people know this because I often receive Thompson guns or receivers which have

been shipped via UPS or FedEx. Of course, you can figure what UPS and FedEx don't know won't

hurt them, but in the event of damage or loss you are screwed for not complying with their terms of

service.

The way to go is registered mail which can be insured for up to $50,000.

Bob

#2 jpw43

jpw43

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:24 PM

I shipped mine UPS registered mail insured it and just wrote it was machine parts, or something like that.

Got where it was going and back with no problems.

#3 johnsonlmg41

johnsonlmg41

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 843 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:25 PM

UPS does not accept machine guns.  Fedex has accepted mine and that is what ATF uses should they need to return a gun to you, but I have no idea if they insured my gun.  Probably not, but they do accept firearms with no special designation on machine guns.   https://www.fedex.com/content/dam/fedex/us-united-states/services/Service_Guide_2019.pdf   see page 171 or 140   If there is another source of into other than their online guide I'd be happy to see it.   Julia's used fedex, RIA uses fedex and they charge for insurance and while that's not a great indicator, they surely have had mishaps, so one can assume it's not a problem?   UPS has by far the best tracking since every package is geo tagged upon delivery.  Last week they mis-delivered a package and when I called, they checked the gps location of delivery and told me it delivered to a specific neighbor's porch.  I then retrieved it. 

Feel free to use USPS, but I had a gun stolen (yes a MG, but not relevant since there are long guns and handguns), recovered but damaged and they refused to pay the claim (first claim and exhausted both appeals), never delivered the gun (it was sent fedex by atf) and would not refund the shipping charges either.  While you may be able to insure for 50K, good luck collecting.  Taking them to court is a whole 'nother fiasco.  If your package is not delivered and ends up at the postal recovery center......well ask your postmaster about that.  They will LOL.  NOTHING is ever recovered from the postal recovery center since not even postal employees can contact the place.  It's the Bermuda triangle of USPS.  I use USPS a lot, but if it's irreplaceable it won't go usps, nor would I wait a week or more for "priority" registered mail.  9 days from WI to PA  priority with spotty tracking info on a 30K gun, the new owner was plenty nervous.

Many folks have private insurance that covers transit, and even some broad homeowners coverage can cover transit of personal firearms.HTH

Edited by johnsonlmg41, 19 November 2019 - 09:29 PM.

#4 av8tr

av8tr

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:31 PM

Collector's Insurance has coverage or items in transit.  

#5 b_san

b_san

• Regular Group
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 11:55 PM

Collector's Insurance has coverage or items in transit.  

Bingo, I use Eastern but no one should rely on a carrier's insurance for their high dollar collectibles. I ship everything Priority Mail and cover it with my own insurance, pretty sure Frank/MWT sends all of their MGs out FedEx.

#6 michaelkih

michaelkih

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 867 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:11 AM

Buy proper collectors insurance. Dont rely on ANY shipping g company to pay you for a lost machine gun. Even registered mail wont cover the full value when it comes time to actually pay up. They used depreciated value since it was old gun one example I know. The guy had it insured for like $20,000. Ended up getting $8,000. With USPS. Messed up.

Have good collectible insurance coverage and ship with no shipping insurance and sleep much better. With the money you save shipping, it will pay for itself too.

I use FedEx.

#7 RoscoeTurner

RoscoeTurner

Respected Member

• 3088 posts
  • Interests:WWII Military Thompsons
    WWII Browning Automatic Rifles
    Russian M1910 Maxims
    Vickers
    01/SOT

Posted 20 November 2019 - 06:45 AM

These days I ship all using FedEx with the item insured by Collectibles.

In the past I have used Registered Priority Mail, using this method requires a signature each time the item changes hands which is one of the reasons for the longer than usual ship times which to me was not an issue.  Too many people these days expect instant gratification when an item is shipped to them and get excited if the item isn't on their doorstep the next day.  Those next day arrangements can be made but few are willing to pay the cost of that level of shipping.

#8 peter kohler

peter kohler

• Regular Group
  • 124 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 07:53 AM

I use usps priority mail,    I bought a new built 1919 and ups bent the rear sight in transport.   the shipping box was beat to crap.  sent it back usps priortiy.   ive also used usps priority for my other gun repairs..   I shipped a Vickers to be repaired through ups,   the next day it showed up at my house.  I told the driver it was going to the other address.   the big one that said ship to .   I laughed ,he laughed then we loaded it back up. 

#9 halftrack

halftrack

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 111 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:00 AM

We ship our weapons in the Marines from unit to depot all the time via USPS. No lost weapons yet that I know of.

#10 Tiz

Tiz

• Regular Group
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Skeet, Trap, Reloading, Shooting, and anything Full Auto

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:17 AM

USPS is still the best among the worst. UPS is happy to take your money while supporting anti-gun legislation at the corporate level. Have you ever tried to collect on a claim from these clowns, I have. It's a catch 22. If it gets damaged they will take the position that it was not packaged properly even if they backed over it with their delivery truck. Collecting from USPS is nearly impossible as well. Better have you own insurance or you may be S.O.L.

#11 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1953 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

Have your ducks in a row to collect with USPS. I have collected 3 times, the last took me quoting their regulations to them and threatening to contact my congress critter and the postmaster general before the nameless burecrat would pay up. Ups was worse on the one damage claim I had.

#12 TSMGguy

TSMGguy

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2558 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, old airplanes, and guns.

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:41 AM

Doesn't anything work properly any more?

#13 Vettom

Vettom

• Board Benefactor
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:TSMGs, guns, more guns and C3 Corvettes

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:11 AM

You do if you are doing it.... just saying.

#14 LSU Tiger

LSU Tiger

Long Time Member

• Board Donor
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Military weapons from the 1700's to present day, pipe smokig and collecting, straight razor shaving, collecting WW II US uniforms, weapons, and equipment. Thompsons, especially!

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:31 AM

Local UPS Stores will refuse to ship a firearm.  But, they will ship parts, which makes no sense to me at all.  One of my friends who lives in PA went to a local UPS Store and was refused when he tried to ship a stock blank.  A local packaging and shipping company shipped a firearm for me no questions asked.  USPS in my experience is a bunch of bureaucrats who work OK if you stick to parameters that they're used to.  Any change throws a wrench into the gears. 

#15 reconbob

reconbob

Technical Expert

• Board Benefactor
  • 2521 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:13 PM

Roscoe - you say your insure with "Collectibles". Can you provide contact info for them?

Thanks

Bob

#16 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3885 posts
  • Interests:nothing

Posted 20 November 2019 - 12:53 PM

Yeah not only are the prices nuts on stuff. You have a hard time getting it delivered. yep pay 50 g for a Colt Thompson and sweat now for a delivery when its ready to go.

Soon we will be in the age of jumping in car van or bus and pick it up..Or private Jet since Commercial will be hard to take a long case on board in passenger area.

or maybe buy a extra seat for the hard case ha ha what a cluster all this has become.

I remember one day getting a MP-40 sent to me and the barrel nut and front site blade sticking out of the end of the corner of the box. And the driver saying sign here. And oh looks like you have a gun here huh?

And i said i guess hard to pull it through that small hole somebody made. This was back in the early 90's.And of course they made some marks on it.......

Life is a stress factor itself. And we now add more with shipping to get something you paid for.I guess best to say if it gets to you in one piece Great if not. Check that insurance  And maybe be prepared for a loss if it never shows up in the same shape you bought it under.RON

#17 ron_brock

ron_brock

Respected Member

• 1981 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:11 PM

Roscoe - you say your insure with "Collectibles". Can you provide contact info for them?

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

These guys. I use them as well.
https://collectinsure.com/

Ron

#18 RoscoeTurner

RoscoeTurner

Respected Member

• 3088 posts
    Russian M1910 Maxims
    Vickers
    01/SOT

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:24 PM

Thanks

Bob

Bob,

These guys. I use them as well.
https://collectinsure.com/

Ron

Bob,

The link Ron posted is the company I use.

#19 RoscoeTurner

RoscoeTurner

Respected Member

• 3088 posts
    Russian M1910 Maxims
    Vickers
    01/SOT

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:25 PM

Local UPS Stores will refuse to ship a firearm.  But, they will ship parts, which makes no sense to me at all.  One of my friends who lives in PA went to a local UPS Store and was refused when he tried to ship a stock blank.  A local packaging and shipping company shipped a firearm for me no questions asked.  USPS in my experience is a bunch of bureaucrats who work OK if you stick to parameters that they're used to.  Any change throws a wrench into the gears. 

The UPS Stores are not allowed to ship firearms, you must take a package containing a firearm to a UPS Shipping Center which is a completely different animal.

#20 RoscoeTurner

RoscoeTurner

Respected Member

• 3088 posts
    Russian M1910 Maxims
    Vickers
    01/SOT

Posted 20 November 2019 - 04:31 PM

Soon we will be in the age of jumping in car van or bus and pick it up..

Already there.  :)  Several years ago I used the excuse of picking up a Browning M1917A1 from Bob Naess for a short vacation in New England, 19 hours one way.  Well, worth the time and expense.