• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Bridgeport28A1

Bridgeport28A1

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1306 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 12:22 PM

Excellent Photos.  Thanks for posting, Bob.

For those who aren't familiar with these, that is Doug's "Universal Barrel Wrench";  It can be used without removing the comp or ring sight.

Anyone contemplating making this wrench would benefit from redesigning the bolted piece into a solid unit, with holes for four replaceable bolts, rather than the welded bolt stubs Doug chose to use.  These bolts are the weak point in the design, and have been known (In two instances I am aware of) to break a weld.

Dougs "Heavy Duty Barrel Wrench" is a totally different, much stronger and nearly indestructible one piece design that wraps around the barrel,

but requires removal of the comp or ring sight.  

Maybe someone who owns one can post photos.

I don't know how Doug manufactured his, but it would be a relatively easy job for a wire EDM.  

I wonder who I know that might has access to a EDM to reproduce the new and improved wrench?

#22 Weasel

Weasel

• Regular Group
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:07 PM

I have one of D.R.'s bbl wrench that he made to remove the stub off the parts kits. It has a full wrap around piece and it clears the sight and slides under the forearm mount. I believe the LARGE nut to tighten around the bbl is 1 1/2" and use a

impact gun to tighten. I have removed quite a few bbl's from the rec. stub and takes some force to remove. One stub took

5 hits with a 4lb. hammer with a 16" crescent wrench on the stub (striking the wrench handle).t

If pictures are needed I can post

Weasel

#23 mnshooter

mnshooter

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 2091 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

I wonder who I know that might has access to a EDM to reproduce the new and improved wrench?

Me too...

Edited by mnshooter, 28 November 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#24 mohawk64

mohawk64

• Regular Group
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:21 PM

Guys. I'm totally serious about producing this barrel vise. And yes. I have 2. EDM machines. I feel that I may be able to make a commitment in the next week.

Background
I have a BS in mechanical engineering. I have worked in tool and die since 1985 and have owned my own business since 1998. We machine more complex pieces every day of that 21 years.

I should have a formal answer in a few days.

#25 mnshooter

mnshooter

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 2091 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:23 PM

I have one of D.R.'s bbl wrench that he made to remove the stub off the parts kits. It has a full wrap around piece and it clears the sight and slides under the forearm mount. I believe the LARGE nut to tighten around the bbl is 1 1/2" and use a

impact gun to tighten. I have removed quite a few bbl's from the rec. stub and takes some force to remove. One stub took

5 hits with a 4lb. hammer with a 16" crescent wrench on the stub (striking the wrench handle).t

If pictures are needed I can post

Weasel

A photo would be very helpful, to avoid confusion. 

The above description is what Doug calls a Barrel Vise.

According to Doug, it was primarily designed to be clamped, bolted, or otherwise fastened to the workbench.

Although it also can be used freehand to remove barrels, it is completely different from his two previously described barrel wrenches.

#26 Bridgeport28A1

Bridgeport28A1

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1306 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 01:27 PM

Guys. I'm totally serious about producing this barrel vise. And yes. I have 2. EDM machines. I feel that I may be able to make a commitment in the next week.

Background
I have a BS in mechanical engineering. I have worked in tool and die since 1985 and have owned my own business since 1998. We machine more complex pieces every day of that 21 years.

I should have a formal answer in a few days.

mohawk64, count me in and add me to you list of buyers.

Edited by Bridgeport28A1, 02 December 2019 - 11:56 AM.

#27 Gio

Gio

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 649 posts
  • Interests:Guns
    Harley Motorcycles

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:36 PM

Dougs heavy duty wrench is the one that I would want. The pictures of the wrench that Bob posted is not nearly as good

Frank

#28 1921A

1921A

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 601 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

The DR universal barrel wrench works pretty damn good . Ive yet to run into a barrel that couldnt be removed with it.

Ive had more problems pulling M1 barrels than anything else but the universal barrel wrench worked every time.

Edited by 1921A, 28 November 2019 - 08:15 PM.

#29 83Baron

83Baron

• Board Benefactor
  • 341 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

Count me in as well! What a great tool to have when you need it one day.

#30 Petroleum 1

Petroleum 1

RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 965 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

Im in for one too

#31 nate129

nate129

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:WWII, reenacting, Commemorative Air Force, ham radio, cycling

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:03 PM

I am interested in a barrel wrench too.

#32 ppgcowboy

ppgcowboy

RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 913 posts
  • Interests:Guns, aviation, didgeridoo, banjo, metal detecting.

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:58 PM

Put me on the list.

#33 mohawk64

mohawk64

• Regular Group
  • 277 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 06:19 PM

Ok. I am committed to making the vise. I will be back on the board soon with details of pricing.

Thanks for the interest.

#34 Centrifugal Arms

Centrifugal Arms

• Regular Group
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:58 PM

Please add me to your list as well.

#35 glen1005

glen1005

• Regular Group
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:08 PM

Please put me on the list also.

#36 Sig

Sig

Respected Member and Board Benefactor

• 1679 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:02 PM

Applauding the efforts of mohawk64 for taking on the effort to make these much needed tools.

Had my first barrel changing demonstration & lesson from Gordon Herigstad on my own Colt and since then the opportunity to swap barrels on many other Thompsons including Colts.  Doug's "Universal barrel wrench" is pretty good, there are a few additional complementary tools that are very valuable to have in addition to the "Universal barrel wrench"

Securely holding the valuable receiver without marring or torquing/warping it, is very important.  Doug produced a “receiver vise” for this that has UHMW polyethylene plastic jaws that securely holds the nose of the receiver.  For the receiver vise he also sold an optional “grip mount retainer” which would slightly move the grip mount in order to install the “Universal barrel wrench”, also important in order to protect the valuable finish, although I believe one can do this step with other tools, albeit slower and more cumbersome.  Another item was a “grip mount puller”, that could be used to pull out the grip mount, if one desired.  

There was a stand alone “Receiver wrench” he made that could also accomplish the same function as the “Receiver vise”.  Personally have never tried my stand alone “Receiver wrench” and would not do so unless for some reason my Receiver vise was not available.

There is a “heavy duty barrel wrench”, that requires the sights/compensators to be removed.  Removing the sights or compensators are other specialized tools that Doug made, not depicted or discussed in the article. 

Sharing an article here with permission received today from John Buol Editor of the American Gunsmith.  

https://americangunsmith.info

This article sheds a bit of light on what I discussed including some of the Richardson tools but not all.

These pictures from another thread show my own Richardson tools in use, in action as we discover or reveal a serial number to a very special Thompson.

Shows the receiver with the nose securely clamped in the Richardson vise and the rear of the receiver cradled, Doug’s words, or resting on other end.

Attached File  F8993668-24A0-4B9A-8E63-CE611FA16A32.jpeg   100.51K   25 downloads

This picture shows the barrel wrench clamped to the barrel while on the receiver vise, ready to remove.

Attached File  3435A689-F8F9-405E-93FE-941591B6E905.jpeg   141.52K   25 downloads

This picture the loosened barrel and partially shows the grip mount retainer.  Hard to see but the grip mount is slightly moved away from the fins of the barrel.

Attached File  4A8F97EB-5F92-4DF1-BF25-A5C9FE0E0DC0.jpeg   143.1K   21 downloads

This shows the receiver with the barrel removed, grip mount in place and the grip mount retainer has been detached from the grip mount.

Attached File  2F0A993C-E961-425B-8CE2-0AD72914E1A1.jpeg   102.84K   22 downloads

This shows the receiver still in the receiver vise with both the barrel and grip mount removed.

Attached File  8B6B1F34-A8F9-481C-920F-CB8254391878.jpeg   94.04K   19 downloads

Close up of the Grip mount retainer

Attached File  9B4A19F6-DBB1-4E26-B705-136FA6377E69.jpeg   95.42K   21 downloads

Close up of the Receiver vise, the vise could be swapped to remove the barrel from either side.

Attached File  D909E435-EB79-474B-AD11-BA8A7BC73EB7.jpeg   82.96K   21 downloads

These videos show my own Richardson tools being used on a Colt receiver to remove the barrel and “rediscover” the original serial number as the serial numbers on the receiver and lower frame were ground off.  This is the Baby Face Nelson Thompson.

https://www.youtube....h?v=mE7DaFuatNg

https://www.youtube....h?v=g2DSjpygJ4o

Thread on the Baby Face Nelson Thompson

http://www.machinegu...showtopic=19909

Attached Files

#37 xtriggerman

xtriggerman

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 10:53 PM

Interesting topic. I used to work at AO West Hurly 81-83 and all we used for barrel on & off was a bottle neck jack press with 2x4 sections for the crushers. In tuff cases we put sand paper around the barrel for slippage stop and just reblued for final finish.  What you see here in the above post is obviously a better/cleaner way to go about it. George wasn't going to foot the bill for a "machinist" quality set up LOL.

#38 mnshooter

mnshooter

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 2091 posts

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:15 PM

Interesting topic. I used to work at AO West Hurly 81-83 and all we used for barrel on & off was a bottle neck jack press with 2x4 sections for the crushers. In tuff cases we put sand paper around the barrel for slippage stop and just reblued for final finish.  What you see here in the above post is obviously a better/cleaner way to go about it. George wasn't going to foot the bill for a "machinist" quality set up LOL.

WELCOME to the Board!

XTriggerman, you have some great history to document.

And you are at exactly the right place to do it -right here. 

Anything and everything you can remember about the West Hurley production would be greatly appreciated by everyone here!

I've owned some that you may very well have had a hand in putting together!

#39 xtriggerman

xtriggerman

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 02:01 AM

Thanks nmshooter,
  I don't know if the stories I have about AO are very encouraging...... I guess its a mixed bag. I was glad when Kahr bought them tho. I couldn't imagine worse penny pinching management than what was there in the 80's. My first year, I did mostly customer returns with a guy named Calvin. The last 2 years, I set up the 1911A1 production line and trained assemblers. All the 1911's out to SN A04600 were my test fired assembly run. As we began to run out of GI surplus parts from Numrich's stock pile, I was not allowed to keep QC up to Colt spec so after a number of head buttings with management (Fred Nicoles)..... sadly I wouldn't be a party of putting out a crappy gun with faulty parts.
  It was down right embarrassing at times to see how they did business.  For example, the very limited run of WWII commemorative Tommys we built for the American histerical society as we called them was where we installed the parts "seconds" from the dead room. When I asked about why that was the order of the run... Fred said, Hell they don't shoot those gold lased guns any way! "they'll never know" and he was right.... no commemorative guns ever came back in for service. Sucks dosent it.  I don't want to rain on the parade here but theres more...... stupid s**t that went on while I was there.

Edited by xtriggerman, 04 December 2019 - 02:04 AM.

#40 giantpanda4

giantpanda4

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 2295 posts
  • Interests:Mechanical toys - cars, instruments, and of course - guns. The 1921-28 thompsons are the epitomy of perfection for a mechanical device that fills all my interests!

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:03 AM

xtriggerman, that is real good first hand info. A lot of people surmised what may have been going on - but you were there!

Maybe some day, and possibly at a TCA or TATA event, we could have you do a presentation about what you know and saw at West Hurley. We would love that!