Isolation activity...

I don't have a resing in hand any more but it would make sense to lengthen the large diameter back length of the firing pin and have a shorter tip (overall length the same), even make all parts of it larger in diameter and drill the bolt hole stepped portion longer to accommodate the change.

Speaking of Shiloh, my great grandfather fought there, 25th Alabama Infantry, A Company.

Next trip out I will make a point to try and find that unit's marker. I have an idea where it is, they were part of Gladden's Brigade.

Pretty much I've just hunkered down at the lake house. Doing lots of very early smallmouth bass fishing which surprisingly is awesome this year. At least it was until an ignition coil went bad on the outboard. Now having to wait for the one ordered online since no marinas are open to buy one locally.

. Like Frank, cleaning the closets, dressers, attic and garage; but too much organization can ruin a perfect retirement. Stay safe everybody, we WILL get though this.

Catching up on stuff that needed done. just removed six large trees that were with in range my new addition. Doing five or six jobs at the same time, a bit here and a bit there. Trying to get the walls done in the new gun room. I am using 1" rough cut lumber, 1 x 12, 1 x10, 1 x 8's and some 1 x 6's. It wears me out pretty quick. I have a broken old 75 year old body with a twenty year old " Brain ". Believe me they don't work very well together . You all be " SAFE ". With the VA. closing the hospitals and the Clinic's I only have to get gas for the mowers about every two weeks and re-stock the Bud Light so I am good to go. By the way I received " Tiz's " lip tool and the first 10 mags I checked the lips were good. I have about twenty more to check I will let you know how that goes.

Starting to reload ammo.

Too bad our gun club closed per Gov orders (private club.....) So can't work up rifle loads.

Previous comments about Shiloh.... neat place but no single visitor is ever alone....good place to reflect on those who died there.

John;

Your avatar photo was on tv yesterday during TV Land's "Andy Griffith" marathon. It was like seeing an old friend... :D

I think this is what should be done with a reising firing pin. Titanium version on top... Make one that looks like the bottom version. It appears like the firing pins are moving forward as a round Chambers and the cartridge rim snaps off the tip.

reising.jpg

Dan,

There's a spring that holds the pin in the retracted position. I replaced mine long ago with the rest of the springs in the gun when I bought the Wolff kit. I've never had a problem (yet). I have also installed a Keystone titanium FP which has only about 2/3 the mass of the original and does not suffer from the original's the long tapered shank, a change which increases its strength. Having said all that, I am at loss to explain Frank's Ti FP failure

Speaking of Shiloh, my great grandfather fought there, 25th Alabama Infantry, A Company.

Next trip out I will make a point to try and find that unit's marker. I have an idea where it is, they were part of Gladden's Brigade.

Thank you, Roscoe. I've never been to Shiloh. If you could take a pic or two I'd love to see where he fought.

Thank you, Roscoe. I've never been to Shiloh. If you could take a pic or two I'd love to see where he fought.

The brigade marker should be just south of the Peach Orchard.

Frank, did you do anything for Fern?

Are you kidding? They go for a ride EVERY day. My dogs have their own car, a 1987 Blazer, note the license plate. "DOG SPIN." They all want to sit up front.

I have 3 dogs now, the little one is Cecil-Ray "Bud" Weinerman, (don't ask) he was my girlfriend's dog who I took when she passed away. He used to be scared to death of Fern, but he is over that now. Him and Lily (the other bulldog) have really bonded. Weinerman looks big in the photo because he is closest to the camera , but he is small at 20 pounds, Fern Weighs 70 pounds, He is 13 years old and is as energetic as a puppy.

When I let them out at night, Fern keeps an eye on Weinerman, and will not come in the house until he does. Lots of wild critters around here.

blazer.jpg

IMG_0136.jpg

dogf.jpg

I think this is what should be done with a reising firing pin. Titanium version on top... Make one that looks like the bottom version. It appears like the firing pins are moving forward as a round Chambers and the cartridge rim snaps off the tip.

That is exactly the way my gunsmith made a pin for me, but it broke after a couple mags. I think he made it from a drill bit, too brittle.

In the tutorial

The firing pin spring doesn't retract the pin fast enough, is why the cartridge rim snaps off the FP tip. A new Wolf spring usually fixes that problem, but it hasn't helped my problem.

Dan, I can send you my bolt, and several firing pins, broken and intact if you want to try to find a solution.

Frank, did you do anything for Fern?

Are you kidding? They go for a ride EVERY day. My dogs have their own car, a 1987 Blazer, note the license plate. "DOG SPIN." They all want to sit up front.

I have 3 dogs now, the little one is Cecil-Ray "Bud" Weinerman, (don't ask) he was my girlfriend's dog who I took when she passed away. He used to be scared to death of Fern, but he is over that now. Him and Lily (the other bulldog) have really bonded. Weinerman looks big in the photo because he is closest to the camera , but he is small at 20 pounds, Fern Weighs 70 pounds, He is 13 years old and is as energetic as a puppy.

Frank, thank you for the Fern, Lily and Cecil-Ray update.

Stay Safe,

Ross

LSU Tiger, Roscoe can correct me if I am wrong. The historical sign for Bell's Farm includes the Peach Orchard. Photographs were taken a few years ago on March 28 about a week before the April calendar date of the battle.

WmJnrThh.jpg

iWh6wgsh.jpg

LSU Tiger, Roscoe can correct me if I am wrong. The historical sign for Bell's Farm includes the Peach Orchard. Photographs were taken a few years ago on March 28 about a week before the April calendar date of the battle.

WmJnrThh.jpg

iWh6wgsh.jpg

Using the fence line in your second photo as a reference your ancestor's unit would have advanced from the woods on the far center left. Bloody Pond is to the right of the parking area.

By this time in the battle the brigade commander Gladden has been wounded, replaced by Daniel Adams, and the brigade is now shown as Adam's Brigade. In this photo it is in the bottom center.

https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/civil_war_series/22/images/fig34.pdf

If you have the chance to visit the battlefield let me know I will be glad to show you around.

As requested, the first marker is located along the Hamburg-Purdy road approximately 200 yards southwest of the Peach Orchard.

The second market is located along the Sunken Road, approximately 300 yards east of the Hornets Nest and 100 yards west of the Peach Orchard.

25th Ala 1.jpg

25thALA 2.jpg

Things for me have not changed much. I go to work every day. A total of a 3 hour daily commute, 87 miles each way. Working in distribution of necessary commodities that youll find in every grocery store, weve set new records for being busy through all the panic. Things are starting to level out now, though still busy. My family is all home, and going stir crazy. Everyone needs to get back to work ASAP.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Still working everyday as I'm the in house carpenter at a local hospital... Coming home and working on side projects including a Thompson Stand for a member. 😁

20200411_110449.jpg

20200310_211049.jpg

20200201_174143.jpg