M1SB First Firing Report

WHAT AN ABSOLUTE BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I decided to run 150 rounds through it today - timing worked out just right as it started to rain within 10 minutes of finishing and while I was policing my brass. As everyone has said about these things, the springs are killers. I've got one of Dan's EZ Spring kits but want to run a few hundred rounds through it first to let the parts wear in.

I shot Sellier and Bellot 230gr FMJ. Let me say that if you are not using one of Jon's stick magazine loaders, you are crazy. This thing is amazing.

I loaded the first mag, fired the first round and......the 2d jammed. Crap. Put it on safe, struggled with pulling the bolt back and finally was able to use my finger to put side pressure on the round with the bolt pressure released and the bolt rode forward. From that point on....not a single jam. I think I may have not had the first round fully seated and that caused the jam. I made sure with the subsequent mags to slam the rounds home and smack the mags on my boot to ensure they were fully rearward in the magazine.

I did note, though, that I sometimes get a 2 or 3 round burst. Spring tension? Powder load? Not quite sure why but it happened a few times with each magazine. I checked the primer indentations and, while deep, I saw no ruptures.

I was shooting at a steel target at about 75 yards. It tended to shoot low but if I held the front sight post at the top of the target I could consistently ring the steel. This is definitely not a precision sight. :-)

Overall, I have to say that I love this thing. Breaking it down for cleaning wasn't too bad - a little tight but I think some of the issue was my lack of familiarity with taking it down. Now that it's well oiled I think it will settle in nicely. I still want to run another 1 or 2 hundred rounds through it before I swap the springs. And, I need to play with the mags - I found that the one that came with it will not lock in place. Go figure.

A few pics.

IMG_0675_1.jpg

In this one, you cam see the blur of the ejecting casing above the rifle.

IMG_0690_1.jpg

IMG_0699_1.jpg

Edited by Devious6

The burst firing is a mechanical issue associated with your sear/firing pin ... It should not do this ... I would contact Kahr customer service about this ... All of these weapons are rough from the factory. The fact that they can be made to run reliably proves that Kahr could make them better ... But then they would be in the price range of an Ohio Ordnance BAR.

Did you get 100% brass recovery? If not there may be a primer blowout that you missed. The manual says not to pull the bolt back with safety on, it could damage firing pin.

Nope - got 90 %. Odds are that I'd have found at least one if they were blown out. And, there's no way with the springs as they are that I'm going to try to disengage a round stuck below the chamber without the safety on. I didn't pull the bolt back to lock it - I just pulled enough to release the pressure on the case of the jammed round so I could push it up towards the chamber. Then I eased the bolt forward again.

Edited by Devious6

I sent an email to the salesman at the Tommy Gun Warehouse explaining the issue I had with some 2 and 3 round bursts. Needless to say, I'll be taking it back on Friday - they have the parts/armorer on site to fix the issue. I also purchased an extended bolt handle - will have them install it while they have the rifle apart.

I'll report back after the repair.

A burst and a jam is the result of the firing pin/striker being filed down a little too far. You need a new firing pin as you can't put the metal back on... and filing it further makes it worse. You only remove just enough to get function. With not enough filed off you can't release the sear with a normal trigger squeeze, you have to depress it further with a small screw driver reaching through the safety hole (after removing the safety).

• 1 month later...

did you get the gun back with an explanation of what was wrong?

I’m working off my iPad and can’t figure out how to paste a link to the thread, but if you scroll down a bit you’ll find another thread titled “Feedback on work on my AO/Kahr M1SBR“ - that has a description of what they did and the results. Luckily, I live close enough to their facility that I just drove over and they did the work on the spot. Bottom line, though, is that it functions perfectly now.