Vintage Pic of One-Handed Shooting the Thompson

Looks like the gun is blurred compared to the rest of the pic, so he was not holding it very still. Maybe shaking or it's already starting to fall.

Okay I downloaded that pic and zoomed way in. Old black and whites are finely grained but this is a bit fuzzy up close.

First impression is the barrel looks a bit thicker than it should be up front, thinner than it should be near the receiver and is lacking fins.

The rest of the gun looks as it should but not sure if it's live, or.....

Looking at the shooters wrist, there's some muscle on his thumb but hard to say about firearm Mass with his jacket on.

Staged photo with an empty or a prop gun? Prototype of some kind? It just doesn't quite look right close up.

Even empty, that would be heavy.

Deerslayer is right.....I want to try this!

In comparison to the first digit of his thumb, that drum looks too small to hold a full length .45 round....looks maybe a tad over an inch thick? (Unless he has freakishly long fingers and thumb).

The gun just looks a bit out of proportion.....

The barrel definitely looks o little odd. Maybe it's just the picture, or maybe it is a prototype. Then again as mentioned above maybe just a prop gun.

Andrew

First of all, back then, you walked most everywhere. You had upper body strength, because everything required it. No push the button on the dryer, or rolling up windows in your car, etc. If you got fresh milk, you got up early and milked the cow. Yes, the "average" guy was stronger, than we are now. But we live longer... so I'll enjoy my Thompson longer...

I have seen this picture before. I believe it is a photoshopped version of the original, adding what appears to be an L drum.

This is the original picture as I remember it:

085581b47c191b309bd5d4b2222b9c09.jpg

dilbank-tommy31.jpg

The picture description is as follows:

Lt. Oscar Bayer of the LAPD Detective Bureau aims a Thompson with a removed stock (and no magazine) for demonstration purposes. Pre-dating the Dillinger gang by six years this photo conveys the means by which bank robbers modified the Thompson to aid mobility and concealment 1927

I have no idea if the picture or description is correct. Or just Internet garbage.

In comparison to the first digit of his thumb, that drum looks too small to hold a full length .45 round....looks maybe a tad over an inch thick? (Unless he has freakishly long fingers and thumb).

The gun just looks a bit out of proportion.....

Sharp eyes.

The drum also looks funny because it's hanging about 3/4" lower than normal.

Notice the daylight above the drum.

That's a baadd photoshopper! (Spank, Spank).

When i saw it i thought he was holding a 38 cal revolver And somebody just photo shopped the Thompson in. heck Tracie did that in that movie scene Persons in Hiding in a old Thompson Newsletter decades ago.It was a very cool pic with a number of 1921's.Sad that a old member had to remember that one. okay not that Old yet. compared to Bob....

Ron

Let me tell you something. When I did the stunt job on the recent HBO movie "The Highwayman". It was all I could handle to just hold up with one arm The '21 Thompson with the drum. All be it that my arm had to reach around the outside of this contraption and use pure arm strength to hold it up making it much more difficult. Thank god the drum was empty but the receiver was a solid steel so there was some significant weight. Could I have actually shot a loaded Tommy positioned like this, not likely, and I certainly wouldn't have hit anything that I was aiming at. Don't try this at home folks.

Mike Hammer

Metal Man.jpg