I know its off topic, but thinking of all the pics of trashed Tommies I've seen on this site I had to post this one. Imagine what a handful of these F4U Corsars which were destined for scrap in the desert of Arizona would be worth today.

. http://home.att.net/~bill.eldridge/wsb/htm...eID-739879.html

The true "Cadillac fo the Skies"

They were thinking one of two things..

1. We got plenty of Mustangs, who needs a big blue lead sled. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif

2. Jets.. We need Jets.. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif

Thanks for posting the photos. These were taken, of course, in Kingman, AZ, in about 1946. Many of the aircraft there were sold to the highest bidder, who immediately recouped his costs by draining and selling the fuel from the aircraft that he had just bought. The airframes then went to the smelters. They were sorely missed in Korea when jets were found to be largely unsuitable in the ground attack role.

Fencer has it just right: Props were obsolete once the Me262s, Glosters, and P-80s took to the skies.

"When you get rid of pistons, you get rid of half of the complexity. When you get rid of props, you get rid of the other half!" - - words of wisdom from my first jet instructor.

They may have been prop jobs but the Corsair downed the first Mig in Korea, as the legend has it.

Ever see "The Bridges at Toko Ri"? They used the props of the Corsairs to berth the aircraft carrier.

Cool pic but sad too,...if only we could have them back....I`m an old A&P and only got to work on a couple,and lucky at that....a little side note...P38 were still being made a wars end,and were flown right from the end the assembly line in northern kommiefornia to the Arizona desert...brand new...and scrapped!...democrap in office by the way...waste and stupid...dnc motto... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Terrible...Same thing happened with WW2 Tanks as well. I know of one individual who purchased EIGHTY Tanks for his Logging Business after the War. Most were Shermans, a few Stuarts, and a couple of Half Tracks. He chopped their Hulls in half to construct Log Skidders, the rest of the parts were sadly melted. Well, not all of them, as I know where two happen to be. Except it take a hell of a lot to move them where they sit today. Thanks to Klinton, no more of our Armor can come home from Europe.

Jay, I often wondered the same thing. These two particular early M4 Sherman's (Not easy 8's) pretty much met their fate with Mt. St. Helen's when the top blew. There stuck in a nearby river, upside down, covered all the way up to their Tracks with mud. There not easy to find, but they are there. The fellow who purchased these showed those two to me back in 1996. He also has one Stuart left, but again, the Hull was chopped on that one. He couldn't remember if the other two had been chopped or not. He didn't believe so. Also, he owns numerous wooded acres, and Sherman parts are scattered everywhere among the brush, hidden by vines, ect. He also had a Turret out there too, but no main Gun. A LOT of stuff to look through for sure. Even if these two were salvageable, it would take a lot of effort removing them were they have been stuck for the last twenty years. Of course it's possible, but restorable? Maybe, maybe not. The prices of US Armor has gone through the roof since Klinton outlawed importation. I also had a friend who did sell a complete M4 Easy Eight back in 1992. Every part was there, except he sold it completely disassembled. It brought $25K at that time. It has since been fully restored by an individual out in NM.

QUOTE (Roland, Headless Thompson Gunner @ Oct 31 2004, 06:13 PM)
They may have been prop jobs but the Corsair downed the first Mig in Korea, as the legend has it.

Ever see "The Bridges at Toko Ri"? They used the props of the Corsairs to berth the aircraft carrier.

Well actually I believe it was a P-80(F-80) that got the first Mig. Also, weren't those A-1 Spads on the carrier?