Announcement

Jay--

Fantastic news? Give us a firing range report when you get a chance.

Here are fun things to do with it until you can take it out to the range:

1) Take that soft cloth to it and be nice to it.

2) Take a zillion pictures.

3) Take it apart and put it back together (don't try this at home...well, you know)

4) Stand it in the corner and just admire it!!!

Congrats, bud. It's a beautiful day in your neighborhood!

Congratulations on the new arrival! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif

Vlad the impaler..........oh that's something different, sorry. I just call mine "the kids". "Honey I'm taking the kids out to play. Do you want to go and set targets?"

?? Ursula?? I'm starting to worry about you Arthur.

The day of arrival is such a thrill; I hope I can enjoy that experience again soon!

Name? Tommy of course! Or perhaps Thomas or even Tommie. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Speaking of new arrivals... The big brown truck just stopped by the office and, lo and behold, 2 boxes made their way upstairs. Ripping them open like a kid on Christmas day (couldn't wait), I see the most beautiful thing (next to my wife, of course) in the world. My WH28 and related acouterments arrived safely from Colorado. All the guys in the office are oohing and aahing and asking all kinds of questions.

PK, you have done it again. Hats off to the master! I will be posting pics later this week.

BTW, I kinda prefer girl names. How 'bout Tommi?

• 2 weeks later...

Well everyone, I finally opened the package this morning to get acquainted with the M1. Its been ten days since its arrival, but I managed to wait for gratification until now. Here are my observations and I welcome any and all comments.

Most of the metal is polished blue. The front sight appears to be the black oxide finish, unpinned. The section of the receiver that accepts the barrel is polished on top but not the bottom or sides, nor is it polished on the rear of the receiver. The rear sight is popriveted on and slightly loose. The selectors are the pin type, the magazine release is black oxide. The lower is also polished except the part between the stock and pistolgrip. The bolt is blued with no discernable markings.

The wood looks good, but the forearm is flush with the barrel on the right, a space is present on the left.

I had read a few weeks ago how to field strip and so proceded to do so. However, I had forgotten that M1's don't disassemble and reassemble like a 1928A1. After seperating the upper and lower, I began to remove the recoil spring and pilot. I removed the buffer but did not mind the spring and pilot so they shot through the rear reciever hole, bouncing off a glass shelf. Note to self: always review instructions before disassembling/reassembling machinery. Lucky nothing broken or lost, and wife out of the room.

During this process, the frame latch and spring fell out of the receiver. I did not recognize it at first having never seen one fall out. How is it retained in the receiver? Does not fall out while weapon is assembled. Finally got it together the hard way and after reviewing actual manual, I now know the trick to handling the pilot,buffer and recoil spring assembly. I took it apart and put it together again to make sure I have it down, and I do, so now all that remains is the test firing at some future date.

I question if any West Hurley parts have been replaced with military. It's in excellant condition, was purchased new or as new by the previous owner and not fired much. There are no markings on the bolt so I think its a WH. Since the front sight is not pinned, how is it retained?

Overall, its a neat little subgun and I'm satisfied, but anxious to try it out, hopefully this weekend somehow.

Kinda strange occurance, is the last loop of the latch spring larger in diamiter than the rest of the spring ? Mine was a &@*)#^%)*^!bitch to remove the one time I did it.

BB

Sounds very typical Jay.

The frame latch spring is tapered and the end is supposed to be large enough to bind in the hole and retain it. The end against the frame latch itself is supposed to be small enough to capture the barb on the end of the latch.

The front sight is retained with epoxy glue.

Congrats and enjoy!

Jay Baker,...you have had a MG under your tree for 10 days????,and did`nt fondle it? Don`t you know the first 24hrs is the most critical time for you to bond with it,..never,ever wait that long again or you risk total rejection.Now go out pronto and dump a stick...before it`s too late!!! KEEPEM`SMOKIN,`out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Wellll, it wasn't under the tree THAT long, 21, and I did give it a quick looksee before wrapping.

Thanks for the comments PK. As for the rest of youse guys who wanted pictures-here's the sonogram. Looks like the rest of them.

my_new__m1a1.jpg