Any leads on knurled ball bolt handle for 1927A1?

It seems that Kahr is regressing in their production quality (or maybe they are paying homage to the WH guns) by ditching the offering of a knurled ball type bolt handle for the old "cheese grater" knurled barrel style bolt handle. It looks like they also no longer offer the ball type bolt handles in their online store either. With that being said, does anyone have a lead on a second hand knurled, ball type bolt handle for a 1927A1 or know where I can locate one? Any assistance in locating one would be greatly appreciated because I am getting nowhere quick.

post-261921-0-97738200-1656518092_thumb.png

Well that's horrible, after years of progress they take a step backwards. Even the photos of the new models have the big ugly knob on them now.

Maybe try contacting them and see if they still have an NOS round one left in the bin. Many years ago you could still get someone on the phone if you were willing to keep getting transferred.

That is a good idea, I will have to try that. The worst that they will say is no. Plus, if I get to speak to a living breathing person on the other end of the line, I can also tell them how disappointing it is to see them not keeping the knurled ball style bolt handles.

It seems that Kahr is regressing in their production quality (or maybe they are paying homage to the WH guns) by ditching the offering of a knurled ball type bolt handle for the old "cheese grater" knurled barrel style bolt handle. It looks like they also no longer offer the ball type bolt handles in their online store either. With that being said, does anyone have a lead on a second hand knurled, ball type bolt handle for a 1927A1 or know where I can locate one? Any assistance in locating one would be greatly appreciated because I am getting nowhere quick.

I might have a few of them, but i don't know how to upload pictures

I recently figured out to upload photos on here so I might be able to guide you through the steps. If you are on a phone, you have to exit the mobile version and make sure that you are on the "full version" (there should be a button to push if you scroll all the way down and look at the fine text). Once you are on the full version that looks like a standard web page that you'd view on a PC or laptop, go down to the bottom where you would post a regular reply and right next to the button "reply", there is a button that says "more reply options". Click on the more reply options button and it will take you to the full reply section where you can choose a file(s) and attach said photo(s) to your response before hitting the reply button. You have to upload and attach each photo individually, or atleast that's what I have to do. It isn't difficult once you get the hang of it. I would upload a photo of the part that I am looking for but my gun is currently off with Dan Block for some work and I am having a hard time even finding a photo of what the bolt handle looks like online.

I recently figured out to upload photos on here so I might be able to guide you through the steps. If you are on a phone, you have to exit the mobile version and make sure that you are on the "full version" (there should be a button to push if you scroll all the way down and look at the fine text). Once you are on the full version that looks like a standard web page that you'd view on a PC or laptop, go down to the bottom where you would post a regular reply and right next to the button "reply", there is a button that says "more reply options". Click on the more reply options button and it will take you to the full reply section where you can choose a file(s) and attach said photo(s) to your response before hitting the reply button. You have to upload and attach each photo individually, or atleast that's what I have to do. It isn't difficult once you get the hang of it. I would upload a photo of the part that I am looking for but my gun is currently off with Dan Block for some work and I am having a hard time even finding a photo of what the bolt handle looks like online.

Here's a photo of the part.

post-260006-0-78490500-1656556672_thumb.jpg

we are talking about the ones for the semi auto or are they the same as the originals? are they heat treated? i know a couple machinists not sure what the cost to make a batch would be i have a round one in my 27 semi i could use for an example we have severl qualified machinests on this board. maybe they will be able to give an opinion

Edited by peter kohler

Just as the above post said, 20 years ago or so I had a friend with a milling machine cut down one of the big cheese grater ones to basic 1928 round actuator specs. It turned out pretty good. Of course that was years before Kahr started producing the round ones. Doug Richardson made some beautiful ones that were knurled to '21 specs also, hens teeth if you can find one for sale.

It's all good Dingo, I appreciate the response. I have one of the old cheese grater barrel type bolt handles that came with my WH when I purchased it, but I am looking for another one of the ball type bolt handles seen in Oldtrooper's photo.

we are talking about the ones for the semi auto or are they the same as the originals? are they heat treated? i know a couple machinists not sure what the cost to make a batch would be i have a round one in my 27 semi i could use for an example we have severl qualified machinests on this board. maybe they will be able to give an opinion

Yes, I am talking about the semi auto ones. I am not sure if these semi auto bolt handles are hardened or not. I have one ball type bolt handle for my WH but it is currently off getting some work done and I need a second one for another project.

Just as the above post said, 20 years ago or so I had a friend with a milling machine cut down one of the big cheese grater ones to basic 1928 round actuator specs. It turned out pretty good. Of course that was years before Kahr started producing the round ones. Doug Richardson made some beautiful ones that were knurled to '21 specs also, hens teeth if you can find one for sale.

Do you have any photos of the turned down bolt handle to see how it came out? I wouldn't mind having my old WH bolt handle get turned down if I had access to a lathe or someone that would do it for me and if it would be cheaper than purchasing a used ball type bolt handle on the second hand market.

I wasn't aware that Doug Richardson made any semi auto bolt handles for the 1927A1. I only know of his display actuator knobs that he made in both M1928A1 and M1921 specs (I am lucky to have one of his M1921 display actuator knobs for a display gun but it did cost me a bit more than I originally expected, but it was absolutely necessary for the display piece).

I don't know why it went in sideways....anyway, regular older version cheese grater and turned down one to regular spec. The only thing he didn't do was remove material from the inside of the slot as original actuators are so they are rounded inside as well. He was afraid the ears would break off and I was fine with the final product at the time. Clearly it can be done.

And no you can't have my Richardson one. :)

Edited by Motorcar

Very nice looking and I don't blame him not wanting to make the interior dimensions 100% correct for the benefit of retaining more "beef" to the part. Who did the work? I would like to try and reach out to the machinist to see if this is something that he could/would be willing to do again as well as get an estimate on cost for the work. For the time being, I will still try to find a used one on the second hand market, but if that falls through, then the plan to have my old barrel style bolt handle reprofiled will have to become the only option unless Kahr reverses and starts offering them again. Edited by TennesseeTaylor95

Sorry to hear that your very kind machinist had passed. Unfortunately, I don't know of any good gunsmiths within an hour drive from me. Most around here are more "cerakote, scope installation, AR build" kind of "gunsmiths" rather than actual gunsmiths that have just as much talent in woodworking for making custom wood stocks as they do for machining and finishing elabotate metal pieces. And no machine shops around here wants to mess with it as soon as I say gun part because of ITAR...sometimes I really do wish I had the money and space for an old South Bend lathe and Bridgeport knee mill (or even one of the smaller mini mill/drill machines that come out of Taiwan) so I could make what I need, when I need it.

• 2 weeks later...

Very Nice! I am in the process of slowly building a display M1921 Colt with a PO 80% and excess M1928 and M1928A1 parts that I have until I can slowly swap the incorrect parts out one by one for correct M1921 style parts, which by that time, I should have most of the M1928A1 parts to build a display M1928A1 like yours. For my M1921 display, I have one of Doug's M1921 display actuator knobs, but my long term plan is to turn this one or the future M1928A1 display gun into a closed bolt, semi auto pistol working with Numrich/ Kahr internals (hence the necessity to have a ball type 1927A1 bolt handle) to ensure that it would work and be legal with an already approved design (other modifications would be made to most parts to ensure that there would be no way to interchange semi parts with FA parts).

It's not much, but here is a picture of my display M1921 so far (I still have to get the receiver drilled for Doug's M1921 display actuator knob and I temporarily robbed the vertical foregrip off my WH while Deerslayer is making me a correctly profiled 1921 foregrip for this one). Like I said, it has a long way to go, but it's a start.

post-261921-0-47597800-1657682309_thumb.jpg

• Like 2