Early WH 1927A1 just added to "arsenal"

Here are some pics of my early production West Hurley 1927A1 . I inherited this from my Dad, the original purchaser , he got it about 1977 IIRC.

Dad liked his Tommy gun but he had to make some "modifications" to it, some good, some not as good.

He made the long fore end from a nice piece of walnut. Dad was a wood worker so he did it right and it fits well. The round attachment at end of this is used for clamping a M16 type bipod to it. He also modified it to use unaltered GI magazines. Left a dozen of the 30 round mags with it along with six 20 rounders and a WWII era drum .

A friend made 2 replacement firing pins after original broke. The replacement pins are made of good steel and properly heat treated, still have the first replacement in the gun.

The not so good modifications were Dad wanted it a little shorter so he hacksawed the original Cutts compensator off the front sight ring. I still have the compensator end , maybe I could carefully TIG weld it back together. As you can see from pics he also enlarged the pin hole for the sight and used a 1/4-20 cap screw to hold it on. Dad mounted a sling swivel to barrel about 8" from chamber and filed notches to hold the sling swivel on. As far as barrel goes I guess it is not usable for a SBR conversion.

He really disliked the overly complicated LYMAN rear sight so he replaced it with a M249 rear sight ! It looked obnoxious. I removed it and found the he drilled 2 additional holes for the SAW sight and had enlarged to existing holes . They measure about .182 -.189 now instead of about .169 .

The question is should I weld up the holes and drill new ones or just go with larger mounting bolts for rear sight ? Rivets maybe ?

Plan is to SBR it and mount the simple " L " type sight on it. Want to do a WWII era Thompson look.

post-258380-0-23182200-1552845775_thumb.jpg

post-258380-0-27812300-1552846175_thumb.jpg

post-258380-0-03266900-1552846200_thumb.jpg

Guess I am not sentimental. Have a few other pieces Dad "modified" that appeal to me more. If anyone really likes the long fore end it will be up for sale soon. It does look neat on the long barreled Thompson so if you live somewhere SBRs are not allowed or just do not want the hassle and expense of a Form 1 and tax then this fore end could be yours !

decided not to weld the holes up, going with 10-32 screws and then loc tite and peen over the ends to lock in place.