Kerr - No Buckle-sling

What Price Glory website

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/USList.htm

Okay,,,,,,,,

I'll take this lead-in here to ask if anybody has an extra one, or 20, of the brass-rod "loops" that serves as one of the through-keepers on the NOBUKL sling.

For some reason, I have been able to accumulate a goodly number of theses original slings that have lost the "loose/sliding" brass loops, so effectively, the slings can't be used as intended.

If you look at the normal sling (or an M3 sling), unmounted, this is the loose/sliding loop at the "bend" of the LONG fabric section, and is where the SHORT section joins on through it's own loop(via it's own loop fixed to the short fabric section).

As made, when they assemble the slings, the LONG section goes through the fixed loop of the SHORT section, then this LOOSE loop (the ones I need) is attached, then there is crimped around the long section a flat metal collar which serves as the slide keeper.........so how, and why, people were removing these loose loops is beyond me, but if I can acquire a few extra "loops" I can rebuild about two dozen WW II issue NOBUKL slings......otherwise I have just useless loose sections of them, mostly the long sections.

Now, I can go make these loops, they are simply brazed brass wire, but I though if anybody could find the period ones intact, I'd ask first.

And speakig of this, what would be a fair-market value of unissued M3 slings (Green fabric, grey parkerized metallic fittings). TIA!

-TomH

I just got one from Jerry at WPG. It's the M3 version meaning that it is a little short. You can't rig it up according to the instructions found in the manuals. The quality is quite good except there was some rust on the metal but it came off with a light scrubbing. He has started a run of the longer sling that he states is for the '03 rifle used by the Marines. I don't know where he got that info from.

I'll go along with Bill on that. I've had the wrong gear show up but Jerry told me to keep that and he sent me the correct item at his cost. I've also just bought a WPG Kerr sling in the past two months .. (I posted about it here) and at 22.00 they are a whole lot less than an original.

http://whatpriceglory.com/pic/NoBucklsling1.jpg

QUOTE (Tman @ Dec 15 2005, 10:48 AM)
I just got one from Jerry at WPG. It's the M3 version meaning that it is a little short. You can't rig it up according to the instructions found in the manuals. The quality is quite good except there was some rust on the metal but it came off with a light scrubbing. He has started a run of the longer sling that he states is for the '03 rifle used by the Marines. I don't know where he got that info from.

Maybe you guys can clear this up for me, then...here's a pic of my mounted WPG sling, but it seems to be a little too short, and not allowing me much adjustment; did Jerry send me the M-3 sling by mistake? Or does it look OK to you fellas?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/ghostsoldier/My%20Impression%20stuff/IM000565.jpg

It also doesn't seem to be as thick as the other repros I've seen...

Rob

Jerry says in the ad that it is shorter than the regular sling. Mine fits well and is just as long as the original that I have on my 1928 and the sling material is even heavier/thicker than what's on both the originals I have.

The one I got is marked "No-Bukl" and is blackened Brass hardware. Is your's like that Rob??

Hawk,

No...my sling buckles are all unmarked, and the hardware as a whole is black-painted steel stampings. The thickness of the strap doesn't seem to be as hefty as the originals I've seen, either...all in all, it's not a bad looking sling; I only wish it were thicker, like the one in the pic you posted a couple clicks before... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Rob

Jerry's (What Price Glory) M1917 slings are too short, preventing proper rigging. His website gives out a line about "special" M1917 slings having been originally made for the M1903 rifle, but this is not correct. There was only one length and it was considerably longer than the WWII model.

The quality of items that I've received from WPG have really run the gamut, from really nice to junk from Pakistan that went back immediately. He has been very accomodating on returns and exchanges, but I prefer to do business with http://www.atthefront.com as their quality is first rate on everything.

TactAdv, I've seen many original, unused M1917 Kerr slings that did not have the small wire loop on the shorter web segment. Just snap one buckle over the other and the job is finished. Works great; lasts a long time.

"...TactAdv, I've seen many original, unused M1917 Kerr slings that did not have the small wire loop on the shorter web segment. Just snap one buckle over the other and the job is finished. Works great; lasts a long time."

----------------------------------------

Yep, I know, I know......BUT IT'S JUST NOT "RIGHT", Ya know?? ;-)

Heck, it turned Arctic today here....looks like this'll be a good project for the weeknights ahead. Get some "correct" rod stock, fix these 18 NOBUKL slings I got, pass and 'em out here cheap...

-TH

• 10 months later...