Thunder And Lightning

Santa Claus came early this year...

http://thompson.gotdns.com/kyle/the pair.jpg

The upper gun is my NAC-suffix Savage '28A1. Matching upper and lower. Has ordnance bomb, GEG, and what I believe is the "B." from "R.L.B."

The lower gun arrived today. An AOC M1A1. The "A1" was a restamp. The upper is marked "US PROPERTY". The lower is an early Savage and carries a "GEG" stamp as well as some other markings I'm still trying to figure out. It has exceptionally beautiful wood. It is also stamped "CCSO" which stands for Clark County Sheriff's Office (Las Vegas). I want to do some more checking to see how far back I can trace it.

The M1A1 transfer was approved in only 7 weeks after it went pending. I'm wondering if it was quicker since it was a direct Form 4 C&R transfer to me.

They are both wonderful guns; the likes of which will never be seen again.

This last picture is very interesting...

http://thompson.gotdns.com/kyle/lower.jpg

This is of the mismatched M1A1 lower. It is Savage 60622. Clearly evident is the British "double arrow" which was stamped on the guns to denote they were no longer British government property. The "GEG" stamp is evident. I'm convinced the stamps on either side of the buttstock bolt hole are related to British/Commonwealth service that I haven't identified yet. The one to the right of the hole clearly looks like a "W"; the one to left is not a letter but some sort of symbol.

I wonder when the AOC upper and the Savage lower became "married". Probably will never know.

Just a wonderful set there Kyle!

You can bring the C&R one up to see me next time you come through and we can go to my house and shoot it off the deck!!!!!!!

Always wanted to shoot an M1 style.

I am happy for you. Congrats and happy shootin'

Jr

Congratulations Kyle!

Because of you I got lucky and got one first. Glad you have your pair now.

Lets go to the River after BT this Saturday, whatcha say?

Kyle,

I asked about the band cause my AOC M1A1 with Savage lower is about 3,000 units older than yours, has the added on "A1" and is "U.S. PROPERTY" marked as yours is, and it has the band. Thought maybe they went through the war and rebuild together.

Not near as nice wood on mine as is on yours.

Your NAC suffix '28A1 is super as well.

Really nice set of Thompsons.

SA-

Sorry if I appeared to be short. I wanted to answer your question but I was late for work.

While the wood on my M1A1 is definitely GI, it's in too nice of shape to be original. Also it has a glossy sheen like you get with tung oil rather than the matte finish I traditionally associate with military guns.

I guess I had always associated Lend-Lease guns with the Model 28s. After America entered the war, I thought we kept all our production for ourselves but that's obviously not the case.