Bolt Jamming On Savage 1928a1

I was wondering if someone could lend some technical help...My Savage 1928A1 arrived recently, and upon initial inspection was missing the bolt oiler wich I replaced. Fired well the first time to the range and no glitches. The buffer disc was worn, so I ordered replacement buffers from blackjack buffers. On the last trip to the range, gun fired well for about 200 rounds, and then the bolt jammed in the rear position with the spring fully compressed. I disassembled and released the bolt from the buffer pilot, cleaned, reassembled and oiled, and it happened again. I replaced the spring with a Wolff spring, and on cocking, the bolt was again noted to jam in the rear position. Any thoughts ? Is the buffer disc on the bolt side or the other side of the buffer pilot ? Could the combination of the thicker buffer disc (blackjack) and the oiler plate be causing overcompression of the spring causing it to jam in the bolt actuator ? Any thoughts are appreciated...

Jas

The buffer rides against the expensive rear of the gun.

What ammo are you shooting? Do you have a parts kit to swap stuff out?

Edited to add: Use stock recoil springs, and stock buffers or one from PK.

QUOTE (John Jr @ Oct 30 2005, 10:19 PM)
The buffer rides against the expensive rear of the gun.

What ammo are you shooting? Do you have a parts kit to swap stuff out?

Edited to add: Use stock recoil springs, and stock buffers or one from PK.

ok, so the buffer is in the correct position !

I'm shooting Sellier and Bellot ammo....I will switch back to the stock parts from a parts kit I have and give it a go....any ideas what caused the jam in the first place ?

I would guess that buffer for one, perhaps the wolff spring for another. S&B is loaded up hot and that could be causing stress on the non-stock parts. Shoot another type of ammo with stock stuff and see if that helps.

How did you release the bolt?

Usually if the bolt is stuck in the rear position it is because the sear will not trip and the lower has to be dis-assembled first.

But if you were able to easily remove the lower and the bolt still remained back (which would be strange) then I would look more closely at the actuator to ensure it is not catching someplace within the groove or rough spot and also check the oiler to ensure nothing is sticking out to catch on the bolt.

Good Luck.

Let me know when you need more buffers, I have them for half the price of BJ. And better material.

http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif Buffer disks

Just to be sure, are you saying that the bolt assembly, with the recoil spring fully compressed, remains at the rear of the receiver when the frame is removed? If so, what do you do to disengage and free the parts?

ok, figured it out....I took a close look at the actuator "inside" and found that a broken piece of spring had jammed down the end...I changed out the actuator and it runs like a clock !

Thanks for your help....moral of the story is always do a thorough physical exam before trying to arrive at a diagnosis (should have known better !)

Thanks !