New Forum Member - Information on West Hurley

Hello. Thank you for accepting my registration to this awesome informative forum. I have been wanting to post for a few days now, but now I finally know what I want after reading a lot of posts in this forum about the West Hurley 1927 A1. I am looking to purchase a West Hurley Thompson and was wondering how hard are they to find. I want to understand if any are for sale and what are the price ranges in todays market. I would prefer to not have a Kahr Firearms version as I want a classic and I know the Kahr Firearms pricing are through the roof in today's market and I am new to this forum so I hope I am posting this in the correct place and that I am asking the correct questions, based on what I have seen and read. Thank you in advance.

Edited by mbc230

where are you located ? perhaps you can meet up with local collectors who can help you out, just sayn

I am located in St. Louis, Missouri. I know how hard it is to find the proper firearm as the supply is really low and if the firearm is popular and demand is high the prices are high. I am a really educated shopper, but I see a bunch of Kahr Firearms for sale, but no West Hurley's.

Edited by mbc230

Unless you are just looking for the name West Hurley quality is a toss up IMO ... I've had both, and have to give the edge to Kahr, and I had to have a lot of work done to get my Kahr to run dependably.

From what I have read I believe that the West Hurley is a better quality Thompson then a Kahr and that goes along with what you have stated you had to put a lot more money into this one to make it dependable. I appreciate your opinion though. What did you do to yours to make it more reliable? Cheers!

IMHO, both WH & Kahr rarely run perfectly "out of the box". With some work, both can be made to run very well.

Issues I've had with MY Kahr; broken firing pins (7 to date), FTF & FTE issues & mag catch problems (won't keep a drum in lock).

My WH; mag catch issues (have to push on the mag catch to lock) & light primer strikes.

Not to mention the overall weight of the damn things. There's an extra 3 pounds of barrel on them. Both weigh in at 13.5# empty. The GI version that I shot in the service was 10.5# empty. Add in ammo (drum or stick) & the weight becomes an endurance game. How long can you hold that beast up?

THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN TO SHOOT, it really doesn't matter. Either, do the work yourself, or have someone do it. My Kahr is currently awaiting a tax stamp for SBR, & then Deerslayer will finish the job for me. Meanwhile, I have my WH to have fun with. At least it will hold & keep a drum in it.

HTH, Karl, 68 coupe

Unless you are just looking for the name West Hurley quality is a toss up IMO ... I've had both, and have to give the edge to Kahr, and I had to have a lot of work done to get my Kahr to run dependably.

From what I have read I believe that the West Hurley is a better quality Thompson then a Kahr and that goes along with what you have stated you had to put a lot more money into this one to make it dependable. I appreciate your opinion though. What did you do to yours to make it more reliable? Cheers!

It took a lot of polishing of the feed ramp, and I had to stake the extractor in place, as it popped out of the bolt on FTF's. Once deerslayer (forum member and great Thompson mechanic) adjusted the feed lips of my stick mags, the jams went away. Whichever gun you choose, you would save a lot of frustration by having it conditioned by a good smith like deerslayer. My West Hurley was frankly a nightmare ... Extremely rough with mill marks on the feed ramp ... Had trouble with the extractor, and it broke two firing pins ... The huge cheese grader actuator knob was a visual detractor. Some internal parts on West Hurley models can be difficult to find from what I have read. (but don't quote me on that)

Best of luck in your search.

My Kahr Thompson

post-260006-0-13501100-1618114611_thumb.jpg

IMHO, both WH & Kahr rarely run perfectly "out of the box". With some work, both can be made to run very well.

Issues I've had with MY Kahr; broken firing pins (7 to date), FTF & FTE issues & mag catch problems (won't keep a drum in lock).

My WH; mag catch issues (have to push on the mag catch to lock) & light primer strikes.

Not to mention the overall weight of the damn things. There's an extra 3 pounds of barrel on them. Both weigh in at 13.5# empty. The GI version that I shot in the service was 10.5# empty. Add in ammo (drum or stick) & the weight becomes an endurance game. How long can you hold that beast up?

THEY ARE SO MUCH FUN TO SHOOT, it really doesn't matter. Either, do the work yourself, or have someone do it. My Kahr is currently awaiting a tax stamp for SBR, & then Deerslayer will finish the job for me. Meanwhile, I have my WH to have fun with. At least it will hold & keep a drum in it.

HTH, Karl, 68 coupe

So I am wondering why so many issues with both guns? It is build quality? Why SBR it? I am curious as I have read a lot about other users doing the same thing. I am more about the nostalgic part of the Thompson, but I also want to be able to fire it off no matter where I go.

It took a lot of polishing of the feed ramp, and I had to stake the extractor in place, as it popped out of the bolt on FTF's. Once deerslayer (forum member and great Thompson mechanic) adjusted the feed lips of my stick mags, the jams went away. Whichever gun you choose, you would save a lot of frustration by having it conditioned by a good smith like deerslayer. My West Hurley was frankly a nightmare ... Extremely rough with mill marks on the feed ramp ... Had trouble with the extractor, and it broke two firing pins ... The huge cheese grader actuator knob was a visual detractor. Some internal parts on West Hurley models can be difficult to find from what I have read. (but don't quote me on that)

Best of luck in your search.

My Kahr Thompson

attachicon.gif Kahr.jpg

I really do appreciate your input on this and I am learning as I go, but why did all this happen to your gun? What did Kahr say about this? I would have a field day with them especially with the price you pay in today's market. If I am going to make a purchase like this I want to make sure it will fire off rounds with no issues out of the box. I am very familiar with Dan Block from reading on this forum. Thank you again.

HTH, Karl, 68 coupe

So I am wondering why so many issues with both guns? It is build quality? Why SBR it? I am curious as I have read a lot about other users doing the same thing. I am more about the nostalgic part of the Thompson, but I also want to be able to fire it off no matter where I go.

The attitude of the manufacturer seems to be to turn out a lower quality firearm and let the customer deal with quality issues. They probably could produce a quality gun, but then the price would be in the range of the Ohio Ordnance BAR ... Mainly, unless you want to pay the cost, the semi-auto Thompson is the only game in town. I paid more for my 1928 Savage Thompson than I paid for my first new house.

HTH, Karl, 68 coupe

The attitude of the manufacturer seems to be to turn out a lower quality firearm and let the customer deal with quality issues. They probably could produce a quality gun, but then the price would be in the range of the Ohio Ordnance BAR ... Mainly, unless you want to pay the cost, the semi-auto Thompson is the only game in town. I paid more for my 1928 Savage Thompson than I paid for my first new house.

My Thompson experience. After much hemming and hawing I finally bought a lightly used but running 1991 vintage stock AO WH 1927A1. I did my own ezee spring and buffer install. Had Dan sbr it [install a 10.5 inch bbl and swap the cutts comp], mill it for the easy takedown, steel rivet in the rear sight and mill it for a detachable GI buttstock. I replaced the clunky knob with a correct checkered ball and bought an old gi stock, a pair of stock slides [that’s another story] and a 12.00 enfield buttplate as opposed to a 95.00 rusty Thompson plate, refinished the stock and shaped and installed the plate. Not had any real issues with it. The occasional fte but my loads are on the light side. It likes jacketed of course, round nose lead, swc and pc bullets. Don’t know what to tell you as it’s the nature of the beast, don’t buy a Monday or Friday rifle and you’ll be ok.

my AO.

post-259674-0-58974300-1618148533_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Baltimoreed11754

I was blessed with the 27A1 that I purchased. Its a 2006 production Kahr Arms Ive only had one of the plethora of problems that plague others. Ive had a single broken firing pin out of roughly 5,000 rounds through it other than that the gun runs smoothly. Dan block sbrd it for me along with fitting a28a1 lower to it.

HTH, Karl, 68 coupe

I could not agree with you more hence the reason I am searching for a much older West Hurley as I would hope the build quality is much better. If I am going to spend this kind of money especially in todays market I would at least like to get quality and not have to get it sent out right away and I understand it can be tweaked first to make it 100%, but I would at least like to enjoy it first, but your point is right on. Do you have pictures of your 1928 Savage?

Edited by mbc230

My Thompson experience. After much hemming and hawing I finally bought a lightly used but running 1991 vintage stock AO WH 1927A1. I did my own ezee spring and buffer install. Had Dan sbr it [install a 10.5 inch bbl and swap the cutts comp], mill it for the easy takedown, steel rivet in the rear sight and mill it for a detachable GI buttstock. I replaced the clunky knob with a correct checkered ball and bought an old gi stock, a pair of stock slides [that’s another story] and a 12.00 enfield buttplate as opposed to a 95.00 rusty Thompson plate, refinished the stock and shaped and installed the plate. Not had any real issues with it. The occasional fte but my loads are on the light side. It likes jacketed of course, round nose lead, swc and pc bullets. Don’t know what to tell you as it’s the nature of the beast, don’t buy a Monday or Friday rifle and you’ll be ok.

my AO.

Really nice firearm. Can I ask how much like a ballpark figure you put into it? I know it is the nature of the beast with anything nowadays, but the supply is very low with all firearms in today's market so I know I can not be picky, but if I had to choose between the Kahr and the West Hurley. I would take the West Hurley. To each there own, but thank you for your feedback.

HTH, Karl, 68 coupe

I could not agree with you more hence the reason I am searching for a much older West Hurley as I would hope the build quality is much better. If I am going to spend this kind of money especially in todays market I would at least like to get quality and not have to get it sent out right away and I understand it can be tweaked first to make it 100%, but I would at least like to enjoy it first, but your point is right on. Do you have pictures of your 1928 Savage?

Runs perfectly ....

post-260006-0-96857300-1618171665_thumb.jpg

mbc, The gun was around 1000.00, GPC 10.5 bbl was 218.00, 1928 stock slide was 85.00 from the Netherlands, Dans work was a couple hundred I think. A 12.00 buttplate. Don’t remember what the buttstock cost. Not including any shipping in these numbers. And the half year wait-200.00 tax stamp to sbr it. Twernt a cheap build. But it was a very cool one and with my faux gator case build I’m sure I could get my money out of it. Too much BS&T on this one to ever sell it. Hope you find a good one.

Edited by Baltimoreed11754

HTH, Karl, 68 coupe

Runs perfectly ....

attachicon.gif 1928 Savage.jpg

Very nice! I am looking for something to that nature.

mbc, The gun was around 1000.00, GPC 10.5 bbl was 218.00, 1928 stock slide was 85.00 from the Netherlands, Dans work was a couple hundred I think. A 12.00 buttplate. Don’t remember what the buttstock cost. Not including any shipping in these numbers. And the half year wait-200.00 tax stamp to sbr it. Twernt a cheap build. But it was a very cool one and with my faux gator case build I’m sure I could get my money out of it. Too much BS&T on this one to ever sell it. Hope you find a good one.

That is a reasonable cost and I am betting you bought it when it was cost effective. If I did something like that in today market I would be into it another $1,000 or so give or take. Thank you for your feedback.

• 7 months later...

If you are still looking for West Hurley 1927 A1 I would recommend Gun Broker. I just bought one for $1,600.

Thank you for the heads up, but I acquired one a long time back.

Wish Id known sooner you were looking, Ive had my west hurley posted here going on 2 months. I do have an original Savage lower and wood set that will go right on if yours does not have the detachable stock.

I am actually thinking about selling it and trust me I bought it way before you were going to sell yours.