1923 Manual

I have had several copies and what I know to be originals thru the years - other than the rust on the staples is there any way to tell the copies from the original. The ones that I think are originals have raised lettering on the front cover and I think the copies do not have raised lettering - comments??? Some say the staples are flat on the originals and round on the copies, however I have seen copies with flat staples...

Notice the auction does NOT state it is an original but rather rare.

Also, the description has been changed, notice the "Description (revised)" message.

I bet he may have listed it as an original, but changed it to rare after a few e-mails for people.

That is like the one our friend Murray picked up in Pheonix at the show. If I recall correct he gave a "c" note for it and it is in better shape and is original. It was authenticated by Gordon as I remember. Guy had it with a original carry case.

Some of these "Reprints" are quite well done. They've been in circulation for 30-35 years now which often makes them appear much older than they actually are. The Numerich Arms reprints are very good and still available for about $7. Genuine 1923 catalogs do have a high quality embossed name stamping with flat staples but you can be fooled by a quality reprint.

An actual original 1923 catalog is very rare these days and commands a high price. Just about every known piece of Thompson literature has been reproduced so do your homework before buying.

I found the collecting of vintage literature over the years to be as challenging as looking for the guns and accessories. And like others, I've been "burned" a few times.

Greg Fox

The Numerch copies that they sell now do not have raised type on the front. Staples are round and in some cases are not even in the fold - I don't think you would fool anyone. They are a copy for someone who can't afford the price of the original.