Recoil Spring Tool

People seem not to know where to find the 1928 Recoil Spring Removal Tools. I find that strange because I have offered original, WW2, new, unissued tools @ $25 + $7 flat rate HIS in my catalog for about 10 years. So, to me the question is why don't people know about it. I'm told that the reason is that if it's not on an internet website with a shopping cart, generations that came after me will not know about it. But, I don't think anyone would argue that I offer more Thompson items in my Catalog (especially the really difficult or impossible to find items) than anyone else in the world.

I know the idea of reimbursing me my out of pocket costs of printing the Catalog is resented by some even though the hundreds of hours I spend making the Catalog is free. To help those people I posted a list of the items in my Catalog on my free-to-visit (you don't even have to log in!) website. From what I have seen, people spend far more than the cost of my Catalog searching for a single Thompson item. People want me to start an e-commerce sort of Thompson store but that is not practical for me. Over half of my customers don't know how to use a computer. They have to have a print catalog. I can't produce a Catalog and an internet operation - the volume just isn't there to justify it and I'm not about to take on more work. So, if you want to stop searching for items, order a Catalog from me. Put a $5 bill in an envelope with a return address on the outside and mail it to Doug Richardson, 2100 McReynolds Road, Malibu, CA 90265. You don't need to write a letter or compose an order form. If I see $5, I send a Catalog. Or, it's $3 if sent with an order. You don't have to have a Catalog to order from me and I accept calls to 310-457-6400, but there is no way I can relay all the Catalog information in a call and I can't stop making receivers to recite the Catalog to people. Catalog #72 is now available.

Edited by Doug Richardson

• 5 years later...

Just found another Thompson recoil spring stripping tool to add to the former Royal Norwegian Navy example in my collection, which is marked with the British WD á . This latest find is marked with the letters 'KNM', which initially, as I own a former Dutch East Indies issued Parabellum 06, marked with the letters KNIL, I thought may have a Dutch link. My colleague in Sweden corrected that assumption however, and informed me that it is the property marking for the 'Kongelig Norske Marine', (Royal Norwegian Navy).

KNM Marked tool profile.jpg KNM Marked Stripping tool.jpg

​Richard told me the Norwegian Navy used Model of 1928A1's through till the 1980's, but I have been unable to locate any photos.

​Does anyone know of any photos of Norwegian Sailors (or soldiers) with Thompsons? Through Google searches, I found some photos of Norwegian Soldiers from the 1950's, but they are armed with German WW2 submachine guns, not Thompsons.

​Stay safe

​Richard

Edited by rpbcps

Yep, that is seller I bought mine from, Richard Garcia, 1921TSMG on eBay.

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

Same here. Mine is only marked with a single K. Any ideas what that means?

Andrew

Andrew,

I think it may be a miss strike with the die, so they have missed off the 'N M' ?

I have 2. I bought both from an ebay seller in Sweden several years ago. One is marked Norwegian Navy and the other is British (Broad Arrow.)

U D

UD,

Would that have been Richard Karlsson and pre 2012? It was Summer 2012 when I first got in contact with Richard and he said he had sold all his recoil spring tools by then, but he had some contacts in Norway, so he would try to hunt one down for me. A few months later he contacted me as his contact in Norway had found another former Royal Norwegian Navy tool, but when I received it, it was marked with the British WD á mark, not KNM, so I was pleased to find the 2nd one to add to the collection. Although the $ price was the same for both.... the exchange rate made the recent purchase ticket price higher for me :happy: The joys of purchasing from abroad.

​I was just in touch with Richard Karlsson the other day, to purchase some more of his reproduction drum winding instructions cards.

​Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

My original recoil spring tool, bought from Richard Karlsson back in Oct. 2012 , is marked with the British WD á mark:

P1120466.JPG

​and this is my 'improvised recoil spring tool', I have no idea what it was originally designed for:

P1120468.JPG

When my great grandmother died in 1979, she had a large wooden chest, (which were used when travelling to transport clothes etc. back in the early part of the 20th century), which no one wanted. So, I asked if I could have it and to this day it is still in my possession, storing momentos and memorabilia.

In a small drawer in the chest, I found the 'improvised recoil tool' and it remained there, until I became a Thompson enthusiast. One day, when stripping my first Model of 1928, long before I knew of the existence of the British recoil spring tools, I was struggling with the recoil spring and I thought that the hole in the recoil spring pilot must serve a purpose. I recalled the tool in my great grandmothers wooden chest and thought that may do the job and it did.

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

looks like a sewing Awl

http://cdn.dickblick.com/items/631/79/63179-1001-3ww-l.jpg

Well sewing awls make very good Thompson recoil spring tools from my experience :happy:

Same here. Mine is only marked with a single K. Any ideas what that means?

Andrew

Andrew,

I think it may be a miss strike with the die, so they have missed off the 'N M' ?

>I have 2. I bought both from an ebay seller in Sweden several years ago. One is marked Norwegian Navy and the other is British (Broad Arrow.)

U D

UD,

Would that have been Richard Karlsson and pre 2012? It was Summer 2012 when I first got in contact with Richard and he said he had sold all his recoil spring tools by then, but he had some contacts in Norway, so he would try to hunt one down for me. A few months later he contacted me as his contact in Norway had found another former Royal Norwegian Navy tool, but when I received it, it was marked with the British WD á mark, not KNM, so I was pleased to find the 2nd one to add to the collection. Although the $ price was the same for both.... the exchange rate made the recent purchase ticket price higher for me :happy: The joys of purchasing from abroad.

​I was just in touch with Richard Karlsson the other day, to purchase some more of his reproduction drum winding instructions cards.

​Stay safe

Richard

Yes that was Richard Karlsson I bought them from. I also got some early nickel plated Kongsberg Colt (1911) mags from him.

U D

Here are a few pictures of mine. It doesn't look like there was supposed to be any other markings/letters as the K is stamped fairly deep.

attachicon.gif IMG_20180214_183459.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20180214_183428.jpg

Andrew

Andrew,

Indeed I stand corrected, it is not even in the same location as my 'KNM' example and the font looks different.

Another mystery for the Forum to solve, I have no idea on that one, but will be interested to find out.

Stay safe

Richard

​Improvised 'recoil spring tool', demonstrated in the 'Armored Force School, Fort Knox' instructions for the M1928A1, issued in 1941.

Armored Forces School Disassembly.JPG Armoured Forces School assembly 1.JPG Armoured Forces School assembly 2.JPG Armoured Forces School assembly 3.JPG

• 2 years later...

This afternoon I have been looking through some examples of the British Small Arms Training Pamphlets for the Thompson gun that I am considering selling, and in an amendment document for the 1940 dated pamphlet, dated Oct. 1941, it states:

"(Note- Buffer rods will be drilled with a hole 1/8 inch diameter, 3/8 inch from forward end of rod and at an angle of 90 degrees from the flat on the buffer collar, to enable the use of a nail for replacing the recoil spring". So obviously issued before the recoil spring tool was manufactured.

SAT 21 1940 Ammendment 2.jpg

Stay safe

Richard

• Upvote 1

I made one from a blued steel 1911 rod. No lathe, so worked it slowly on a bench grinder and dressed it with a file, then oxpho blue touch up.

Looks good, works great.

Then in 2007 Doug Richardson had some brit marked tools at SAR and I grabbed one for, (I think?) $15.00?

Still, I forget them most of the time and usually dig a paperclip out of the glove box.....

I use the little "key" that you use to unlock an interior door from the outside of an inside pushbutton lock. We usually have some over the doors on the trim work.

An example: https://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Keys-Interior-Door-Locksets/dp/B082P9RFNM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Push+Button+Key+Locks&qid=1594301989&sr=8-2

Edited by Robert Henley
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...