Interarms M2

Quick question for those more knowledgeable than I...

Not able to post a picture, but is it possible for an Inland manufactured carbine in the 7.1 million serial number range to be a factory M2? The kicker is it has an Interarms import mark on it...

Thank you in advance for your help!

Thanks Jim...

Saw the import mark and seemed a red flag to me as being a transferable machine gun.

When was it required that firearms be import marked? Was that after the ‘68 amnesty period or was it in ‘86? Also, generally speaking, if two guns are equal in most every way, does the import marked gun command less money? (usely true in the non NFA world)

Thank you for the previous reply...

John

Live MGs imported after the end of the Amnesty of 68 were restricted to possessiom by FFL/SOTs, and govt agencies, were designated sales samples, and were required to be stamped with ID of importer. Registration form states importers name and address. However, because it is stamped with the importers ID and address, its transfer status should be as a restricted sales sample. Many samples have mistakenly transferred as unrestricted, but generally these have not been M2s, but never say never.

If imported and registered between 1934 and the end of the Amnesty, it would not have been marked by the importer.

Edited by Black River Militaria CII

Hold on. MGs imported post Amnesty required ID and address of importer to be stamped/engraved, etc on the RECEIVER, the controlled part, not the barrel, lower or any other unrestricted part. Import ID and address marking on an M2 carbine barrel would very unlikely be encountered for a legally imported sales sample M2.

Generally, the paperwork for sales samples has been quite accurate since the end of the '68 Amnesty, although there have been quite a few transfer errors over the years, transferring identifiable sales samples by F4 to individuals.

You cannot legally receive any registration info on an MG that is not registered to you, but you can ask the current registrant of the M2 to call ATF and ask for the date and form of registration and transfer status of the gun.

Judging the transfer status of the gun by the paperwork is really not an ironclad guarantee of the accuracy of the information.

The seller also should know the actual transfer status of the MG that he is offering, and it should be on his willingly volunteered time and dime to corroborate and have proof of whatever he claims.

Re av8tr:

Allegedly the ID is Interarms who imported it and marked it. No mention of evidence of remanufacture, and Interarms was a major importer and did not manufacture or remanufacture and register MGs that I have ever heard.

There is a remote, very remote possibility that it was a pre-May sample that was cut, remanufactured and registered for private possession ABd the original import marks not removed. Very unlikely.

Anyway, there is little factual info to base any firm understanding of the registration status of the gun and until there is, all is speculation.

Black River,

Thanks for that information.

I had asked that because of a situation I had a number of years ago. I had agreed to buy an STG44 that was purported to be C&R. The gun had no evidence of being cut and welded, and no visible remanufactured markings. The Form 4 showed C.G. Haenel, Germany in Box 4a. Many months later, the transfer was denied. When I called the ATF to ask why, I was told it could not be transferred to me (C&R FFL) as the gun had entered in the registry in 1983 as a remanufactured weapon by Collectors Corner. The gun showed no signs of this, so I called Mr. Landies to ask him if he had cut and welded any STG44's in the '80s. He said he had done many. He said he was an excellent welder and it would be tough to spot. And it would be marked somewhere, but he couldn't remember where.

What you have pointed out as different with that situation, and this, is that Interarms was only an importer and did not manufacture or remanufacture any guns.