Ciener Conversion Kit Worth It Now?

Howdy All,

I hope you are all having a sunny day, it being "postsunset" and all. Do you think the Ciener conversion kit is worth it now? I have heard grumblings in the past about the function of the kit (and Ciener's "customer" service). I don't want to clog up the works with something that has been posted before, but I am curious about what the Thompson is like in .22LR. Do the ends justify the means?

Thanks,

Cheese

Philohio has posted extensively on this subject. If you do a search you should have no problem finding them. From what I remember of the posts I think the concentus was that the convervisions were difficult to make work and not to expect much help from Ciener.

Thanks guys,

I guess that explains the Ciener kit for me. I did call him a few months ago and he was a bit of a squirrel in giving me any details over the phone. He also hinted I could be an ATF agent in disguise as I asked (oh no!) about attaching a supressor. Uh huh. I just wanted a .22LR in full auto as it sounds COOL. No hidden agenda. No undercover supersecret Roswell Alien crash hiding bodies in deep freeze hidden agenda. No, really. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Thanks again,

Cheese

PhilOhio:

VERY interesting on .22 primer compound distribution in Remington ammo. I bought a case of Winchester .22 awhile back and have had no problems with it in my Vector Uzi with .22 conversion kit. Have no idea just how fast the bolt cycles with the .22 conversion in place, but it is at least twice as fast as the 9mm rate in the same gun. Now, with the sunset of the AWB, possibly someone will make .22 magazines that are greater than 20 rounds in capacity. These are empty in an instant!

PhilOhio,

Sounds as though Ceiner went to market as quickly as he could with his conversion, at minimum cost to him.

Except for the mags of just 20 rounds, the Vector .22 Uzi converson is a very nice kit. When I first took it out of the box, I was disappointed to see an aluminium bolt body, until I looked more closely. The bolt has steel inserts everywhere they are needed. There is no wear to the bolt. It is truely a drop-in kit, requiring only the field stripping of the gun.

The only initial modification required is to file the ejector slightly shorter on the front, which does not effect 9mm functioning. Feeding is reliable but very fast. The gun is very light with the .22 kit in place, and perfectly balanced. Even the sights are dead on, as they are not disturbed during installation, and .22 and 9mm have similar bullet drops. It's a very classy kit!

Ciener .22 Kits

Back before all this high capacity magazine ban nonsense, I had several Ciener .22 kits for the Ruger AC556 and the M16. All had his 30rd magazines and worked quite well with some "tinkering" required when switching from gun to gun. Most of the time it was a "drop in" and worked the first time. The rate of fire on the AC556 was 1000-1200 rpm. I had trouble with "lubricated" .22 ammunition and found the Remington copper clad bullets without lube worked great. The kits are still working after thousands of rounds so I have no complaints.

Greg Fox