PK does it again

Here is my invoice from PK. Note all is not machining time, just a total of time spent doing the necessary stuff.

39.25 hours repair:

Replace lock slots, Checker controls, Gauge & adjust 23 magazines, Press bow from receiver, Bush & rethread stripped Cutts, Fill & remachine rear sight rivet holes in rec., Clear mag well corners, Remachine bolt aperture c’sink, Fit frame to receiver, Trim bolt register, Remachine rec frame rails, deepen frame latch hole, Custom frame latch, Install hammer pin pads, Optimize mag catch, Test & adjust as necessary.

OK. That makes sense. I work my side of the street, so to speak, but

I have a manufacturing and production operation. Pauls ability to repair

and re-work guns and receivers is really an art which can only be obtained

thru long experience and he is really an asset to the Thompson community.

Bob

I’m glad you got your Tommy back from PK. That means I’m moving up the list. :)

Thats a good thing. PK emailed me this week and said it would be at least a couple years before he’d open up the wait list again due to so much work.

I’m glad you got your Tommy back from PK. That means I’m moving up the list. :)

How long have you been waiting?

Added to the list 5-13-15.

You should be getting close. Believe me it is worth the wait.

I've built a number of flintlocks from castings, which requires fitting parts, drilling and tapping screw holes, and heat treating. Often, the castings aren't the best, and I've had to make it work. I'm very impressed with Paul's work. He's doing work on a par with Colt's custom workers in the 1920s.

Edited by LSU Tiger

Makes you wonder how a man ( PK ) aquires such skill. You have to have the heart of an artist and the mind of an engineer along with God given talent. Craftsman like PK don't come along very often and more often than not the skills and talent, like his, are lost over time.

Edited by Tiz

Very nice photos. Thanks for Posting.

If you have a close up view of the rear sight, with the leaf up, showing the rivet heads,

(An angled side view, showing the tops of the rivets; not a vertical overhead shot), could you please post it.

Thanks again.

20200120_213012.jpg

There you go. Rear sight rivets inside and out. Hope that helps.

Chief762

20200120_213152.jpg

I'm curious, did Paul stamp it with his diamond logo?

Darryl

He will, on request. I have it on my WH M1.

When was that? As I said, when I sent him my gun in September, I specifically requested he stamp my gun when he completed it. No restrictions on what was needed to be done.

Before Paul returned my gun I sent him a reminder of my original request to stamp the gun with the Diamond K logo when all the work was completed.

Here is Paul's response on 28Dec19.

" I stopped stamping guns years ago, your invoice should provide any provenance you may need."

Best, PK"

It's been years. Unfortunately, paperwork has a habit of getting separated from guns, no matter how seemingly important. I know I still have it, but it would take me a while to find PK's original invoice for the work on my WH M1. I'm pleased to have his tiny Diamond K logo on the gun.

Very nice photos. Thanks for Posting.

If you have a close up view of the rear sight, with the leaf up, showing the rivet heads,

(An angled side view, showing the tops of the rivets; not a vertical overhead shot), could you please post it.

Thanks again.

attachicon.gif 20200120_213012.jpg

There you go. Rear sight rivets inside and out. Hope that helps.

Chief762

Very nice.

Looks great; just like the originals; exactly like every PK'd sight rivet I'd seen, until mine.

Thanks again for posting.

Still cannot figure out why PK did mine in such a noticeably different manner.

Edited by mnshooter

attachicon.gif tsmg 241 001.jpgattachicon.gif tsmg 241 005.jpgattachicon.gif tsmg 241 002.jpgattachicon.gif tsmg 241 003.jpgYes, he did. Along with a bunch of other stuff. The job required 38 hours of machine work. It's just gorgeous and while it is too pretty to shoot, it's gonna be fired and admired...a lot!

The repair to the locking slots is interesting. What did they look like before the repair?

• 2 weeks later...

attachicon.gif tsmg 241 001.jpgattachicon.gif tsmg 241 005.jpgattachicon.gif tsmg 241 002.jpgattachicon.gif tsmg 241 003.jpgYes, he did. Along with a bunch of other stuff. The job required 38 hours of machine work. It's just gorgeous and while it is too pretty to shoot, it's gonna be fired and admired...a lot!

The repair to the locking slots is interesting. What did they look like before the repair?

Very much like the slots pictured in PKs tutorial on WHs posted by Dave Albert earlier. Not so good.

My! You may have about the second or third finest looking Westy out there! :-) Paul did mine many many years ago. I got the proof mark. When he refinished my "shooter" M1 Savage, he declined to mark it because the gun wasn't in the best of shape when he got it and it probably didn't deserve the mark of quality.

DId he "finish" the nose and rear of the receiver for you? Cannot tell...

I am surprised you went with the '21 style ring sight in lieu of the Cutts. I, too, had him do that to mine. Makes it shorter. Now drop a '21 actuator in and fire that baby up! You can get him to mill you a '28 down, and get a spring kit from him. Nice!

My WH has been to him three times since I bought it in 1997. I think it's here to stay...

Rust

• Upvote 1

What is a West Hurley worth after being corrected by PK?

Depends entirely on whether or not a potential buyer is aware of and appreciates PK's work. Otherwise, it'll likely be seen as just another WH.

To be honest, If I am buying a TSMG I am going to buy a milsurp gun. I would not pay milsurp prices for a comparable condition WH gun. Not gonna happen. I do see buyers paying a premium for a PK West Hurley, but I do not see that value as equal to a military or original colt gun. It would just be top end WH retail. So if you have a WH gun already, and want to shoot it, than the PK wait times and price are worth it because you are investing in your own personal enjoyment of your full auto gun. If you PK a gun purely for raising the retail price of the gun than it is not worth it. PK West Hurleys are only a phenomenon because we cannot add new guns to the registry, and are stuck with WH guns whether we like it or not.

In the end it will always be a Wes Hurley Like a Military is a Military and a Colt will always be the Colt.no matter what a dress up stage is. Like a custom Walther handgun.It will always be that Walther however if you put 2 grand in custom work. Will you see that back out of it upon sale time probably now. It is the fun you get out of it now. Like the Hurley just shoot it and enjoy.That is what they had been made for anyhow like all others.

If you replate a Gold Coin is it worth more. Or give a classic car a new paint job?Most will say you took away the original, so just shoot and enjoy.RON K.