Talk Lahti 20mm anti tank rifles to me...

Got Uzi

My objections to the Lahti: recoil is abrupt, intense and very unpleasant in my opinion; the barrel cannot be removed for transport and it"s close to 11 foot length, as well as its weight makes movement and transport complicated, especially for one person and for someone without a van, large pickup, hatchback with bucket seats and drop down rear seat back, etc, etc.
I have had several Lahtis, still own an example but do not shoot it any more as it is not enjoyable. The 20mm rounds are expensive regardless of source and for that money and the considerable effort to get the gun to the range, I want an enjoyable experience.
Before you buy one, it is really imperative to spend some time with the gun and shoot it at an organized shoot or private session. Educating yourself prior to purchase is really the way to go.
I have had a couple 20mm Solothurn S18-1000 AT guns, and still have one that is a real joy to handle and to shoot. I had the good fortune of acquiring an example with the wheeled mount, a quite rare and useful accessory. The gun breaks down simply and quickly as the barrel can be removed in twenty seconds making handling and transport far simpler and easier, especially for one person and without having to resort to special vehicles, etc.The quality of Swiss manufacture is spectacular and unsurpassed, and the guns in the US are almost all in excellent condition. These ATs are far and away more attractive and user friendly than the Lanti, and if the opportunity to shoot one arises, don't miss the chance.
Depending on what parts are needed, parts for both guns are difficult to find, but parts breakage of critical small parts seems to be extremely rare.
Vintage ammo is very expensive currently from about $85 and up to $125 per round depending on maker and type. Quality reloads are around at $30 and up which will have a reload life of four or more cycles and up to many more.
Reloads MUST be heavily crimped to safely fire in either gun from the mag but I don't believe any of the case makers are properly crimping their reloads. Uncrimped slugs can be driven out of the case by violent force of the bolt moving into battery and then into the throat of the chamber with detonation potential, a very dangerous situation.
Solothurns are considerably more expensive than Lahtis but in my opinion are well worth the extra cost of the investment. FWIW

Edited by Black River Militaria CII

• 1 year later...

My objections to the Lahti: recoil is abrupt, intense and very unpleasant in my opinion; the barrel cannot be removed for transport and it"s close to 11 foot length, as well as its weight makes movement and transport complicated, especially for one person and for someone without a van, large pickup, hatchback with bucket seats and drop down rear seat back, etc, etc.

I have had several Lahtis, still own an example but do not shoot it any more as it is not enjoyable. The 20mm rounds are expensive regardless of source and for that money and the considerable effort to get the gun to the range, I want an enjoyable experience.

Before you buy one, it is really imperative to spend some time with the gun and shoot it at an organized shoot or private session. Educating yourself prior to purchase is really the way to go.

I have had a couple 20mm Solothurn S18-1000 AT guns, and still have one that is a real joy to handle and to shoot. I had the good fortune of acquiring an example with the wheeled mount, a quite rare and useful accessory. The gun breaks down simply and quickly as the barrel can be removed in twenty seconds making handling and transport far simpler and easier, especially for one person and without having to resort to special vehicles, etc.The quality of Swiss manufacture is spectacular and unsurpassed, and the guns in the US are almost all in excellent condition. These ATs are far and away more attractive and user friendly than the Lanti, and if the opportunity to shoot one arises, don't miss the chance.

Depending on what parts are needed, parts for both guns are difficult to find, but parts breakage of critical small parts seems to be extremely rare.

Vintage ammo is very expensive currently from about $85 and up to $125 per round depending on maker and type. Quality reloads are around at $30 and up which will have a reload life of four or more cycles and up to many more.

Reloads MUST be heavily crimped to safely fire in either gun from the mag but I don't believe any of the case makers are properly crimping their reloads. Uncrimped slugs can be driven out of the case by violent force of the bolt moving into battery and then into the throat of the chamber with detonation potential, a very dangerous situation.

Solothurns are considerably more expensive than Lahtis but in my opinion are well worth the extra cost of the investment. FWIW

20mm ammo try www.gunbroker.com

Got Uzi,

I think if you bought a Lahti 20mm, you'd regret the purchase. It might give you some bragging rights, but you'd probably shoot it once, if at all. That's the impression I've had from the few individuals I've encountered who have one.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

• 1 year later...

I bought Dolf Goldsmith's L/39 Lahti last year.  This is my 4th and last.  My only regret was selling them.  It came with 130 rounds of ammo the coffin and accessories sans the spare parts kit (looking for one of them)  In addition, I have also accumulated 105 rounds of brass that is now being reloaded. 

The recoil does not bother me.  The 4 newbies that shot it didn't think the recoil was that detrimental.  They all hunt with these big ass African magnum cartridges ie; 416 Rigby, 338 Lapua, some Kynoch Nitro Express this or that etc. that (to me) kick a lot worse than a Lahti. 

As far as transport, we have trucks in Texas.  I did transport one, uncovered, in the back of an El Camino through downtown Memphis once.  No tailgaters.  

I'm with johnsomlmg41, the coffin will be used as mine too.